Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
If you love Rotella T6 boy oh boy have I got a thread for you! Make sure to check out my most recent post 馃啋

Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
If you love Rotella T6 boy oh boy have I got a thread for you! Make sure to check out my most recent post 馃啋

I've been hearing a lot of ads for Shell Rotella Gas Truck lately. Where does that fit in and what is different from the Rotella Multi-Vehicle?

Was that you who mentioned using the Gas Truck oil in your Outback last year?

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
I've been hearing a lot of ads for Shell Rotella Gas Truck lately. Where does that fit in and what is different from the Rotella Multi-Vehicle?

Was that you who mentioned using the Gas Truck oil in your Outback last year?
Yes I have used Rotella Gas Truck 0w20 extensively in my 2018 Limited Outback 2.5L to the tune of four 5 quart jugs which comes out to being about 24,000 miles. I do like it mainly because it is cheap but stopped using the 0w20 version after discovering at my last oil change that one quart of that oil was consumed over the course of 6000 miles. Now I do not necessarily blame the oil because up to that point I did not have any issues, that car had 92,500 miles at the last oil change so I think engine wear probably contributed to the oil consumption as much as anything. I am now running Rotella Gas Truck 5w30 and it is noticeably a little more sluggish with the heavier viscosity oil. I will be using Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 0w20 and Mobil 1 EP 0w20 from my stash in the future to see if the oil consumption continues with a different 0w20.

The main difference in certification between Rotella Multi-Vehicle 5w30 and Rotella Gas Truck is that Multi-Vehicle is SN rated while all variations of Gas Truck are SN Plus and Resource Conserving. There has been some evidence posted over at BITOG that suggests that Multi-Vehicle 5w30 is SN PLUS rated. The Plus rating is specifically for TGDI engines and concerns about LSPI. The Resource Conserving rating supposedly has to do with better fuel economy and lower carbon emissions. I would happily use an SN rated oil in any engine 2.0 litres or larger that suggests SN PLUS and Resource Conserving as a "requirement."

Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
And in 30 days GF 5 heads towards the exit ramp and GF 6 merges on instead.

SN in all forms will give way to SP.

D1G2 will leave and D1G3 will be the new OEM standard on Aug 31.

Will oil manufacturers announce in May their products already meet the standards and labelling is being switched to catch up, D1D3 too? Dunno about the Dexos but I'm pretty sure existing oils meet the new standards.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts