Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I made a quick video about how easy it is to steal the car if you start it and walk away with the fob in your pocket.

The car seems to treat it as if you turned the key on and left the key in once it's started.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,413 Posts
Only if someone had a gun to my head.
My brother's pickup was taken when he went into a store to buy cigarettes. 10 below 0 F, gone about 60 seconds. Left the motor run.
"I thought I left it right here...."

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
Only if someone had a gun to my head.
My brother's pickup was taken when he went into a store to buy cigarettes. 10 below 0 F, gone about 60 seconds. Left the motor run.
"I thought I left it right here...."
Exactly why it is illegal in many jurisdictions. In mine it is a $70 ticket and 1 point on your driver's license. Yet still see it everyday when I stop for coffee at the local WaWa. Worse are the idiot parents that leave infants in the car seat and leave the car running.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to make this one as a public service announcement more than anything.

Pretty much don't start the car and walk away unless you're O.K. with it being stolen.

It's essentially the same effect as leaving the key in the ignition.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,396 Posts
FYI, it is possible to lock a push-button start vehicle when leaving it running. Use the door switch to lock the vehicle, then manually flip the drivers door lock as you exit. At this point you'll have to use the key inside the fob to get back in.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
I wanted to make this one as a public service announcement more than anything.

Pretty much don't start the car and walk away unless you're O.K. with it being stolen.

It's essentially the same effect as leaving the key in the ignition.
Also, this is not specific to Subarus - other cars (I tried Infiniti, Mazda, and Ford) behave in the same way.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,932 Posts
https://youtu.be/VXA6iDe0BN4

I made a quick video about how easy it is to steal the car if you start it and walk away with the fob in your pocket.

The car seems to treat it as if you turned the key on and left the key in once it's started.
I am not trying to be Captain Obvious, but the solution is to turn off the engine.

I view the original video as being no different than leaving an old-school mechanical key in the ignition. I mean you cannot be a total zombie mouth-breather and expect the car to keep protecting you from thieves.

Actually the situation in the video is is not as bad. Unlike a mechanical key, when the thief stops the car, he won't be able to start it again.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Alternatively, the fob would use its battery to remain in constant communication with the ignition system. Once the fob battery dies, the car would turn off. Not cool.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I view the original video as being no different than leaving an old-school mechanical key in the ignition.
Me too. I just wanted it to be known so someone doesn't start their car and walk away thinking because they have the key it's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,396 Posts
Alternatively, the fob would use its battery to remain in constant communication with the ignition system. Once the fob battery dies, the car would turn off. Not cool.
That's not how the system works. As was already mentioned, you can drive without a fob (the car will just warn you that no key has been detected) until you decide to shut off the engine, at which time the car can't be restarted without the fob (although some have claimed you have a few seconds to restart before being locked out).

Also, the range of the proximity key is very small - IME, you need to be within a few feet of the car for it to be detected. The only possible battery drain situation I've ever heard of is if the fob is kept too close to the car while parked. It can't communicate with the ignition from any significant distance.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
That's not how the system works. As was already mentioned, you can drive without a fob (the car will just warn you that no key has been detected) until you decide to shut off the engine, at which time the car can't be restarted without the fob (although some have claimed you have a few seconds to restart before being locked out).

Also, the range of the proximity key is very small - IME, you need to be within a few feet of the car for it to be detected. The only possible battery drain situation I've ever heard of is if the fob is kept too close to the car while parked. It can't communicate with the ignition from any significant distance.
Yes, I know. I was describing an alternative (and undesirable) system that would allow auto-shutoff.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
In most cars there is a range that car can drive before it shuts down if there is no key. Though can be up to a mile.
What car does that?

Personally, I would not want my fob communicating with my car a mile away, or even 100 yards away. As I described above, that is just a fob battery drain. Further, it sounds like that car will shut off if the fob battery dies. I do not see how the car would distinguish between “fob battery is dead” and “fob is out-of-range”.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
62 Posts
FYI, it is possible to lock a push-button start vehicle when leaving it running. Use the door switch to lock the vehicle, then manually flip the drivers door lock as you exit. At this point you'll have to use the key inside the fob to get back in.
Toyotas won't let you do that. Even when you manually push the lock shut it pops back open. No matter how many times you try lol

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I tried this. The 4 side doors will lock like you said. However, there is no way to keep the rear gate locked using this method. It may be the way my auto-unlocks are setup.

Perhaps I can lock everything (including rear gate) if I climb into the back seat and exit via a back door, but that is an extremely unlikely scenario. So, I am unmotivated to try it.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
What car does that?

Personally, I would not want my fob communicating with my car a mile away, or even 100 yards away. As I described above, that is just a fob battery drain. Further, it sounds like that car will shut off if the fob battery dies. I do not see how the car would distinguish between “fob battery is dead” and “fob is out-of-range”.
What Outbackin meant, I believe, is that if the car senses that there is no key, it will still allow the car to drive away, and if it still can't sense the key after certain time or mileage, it will stop. The car could drive up to a mile away (or 2-4 minutes) without sensing the key; it does not mean that it senses the key from a mile away, or that once it stops sensing the key it will shut off right away (FWIW, no key fob I am aware of can be sensed from that distance). Moreover, many cars with keyless start will not start if the fob is not close enough to the driver's seat. I haven't tried, but I wouldn't be surprised if Outback fails to start if the fob is in the trunk area.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
What Outbackin meant, I believe, is that if the car senses that there is no key, it will still allow the car to drive away, and if it still can't sense the key after certain time or mileage, it will stop. The car could drive up to a mile away (or 2-4 minutes) without sensing the key; it does not mean that it senses the key from a mile away, or that once it stops sensing the key it will shut off right away (FWIW, no key fob I am aware of can be sensed from that distance).
Regardless, the problem would still be there in such a system. The fob battery goes dead while the car is running; the car does not detect the fob for 4 minutes; the car automatically stops. Or the fob is wrapped in foil while the car is running; the car does not detect the fob for 4 minutes; the car automatically stops.

I do not see how such a system would identify the differences between "fob is out of range", "fob battery is dead", and "fob is wrapped in foil". And the differences are important here.

(Just to be clear, everybody, I am describing an undesirable system that Subaru does not have.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts