Subaru Outback Forums banner

181 - 200 of 226 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
So my OB Onyx now has Perrin Pitch Stop Mount, Perrin Steering Damper, SSD Front Strut Brace, Wild Peaks on factory 18 inch, and nameless axle back exhaust. Car feels in a word... Solid. No kidding, squish is gone, feels like a tank on rails, and the car barely pitches forward and back now. Acceleration feels more grippy since the car isn't lurching anymore when I punch the gas at the light. As to comfort, like I said a tank on rails, but I'll add riding on a fluffy cloud of comfort, pretty much as good if not better than it was straight out of the factory. The exhaust is a bit loud when in low speed, but quiets down when cruising, and during acceleration sounds more like a subie should. Keeping an eye out for rear sway bar, when ever released, and Cobb access port.
Sounds fantastic! Can you take pics of the Perrin Pitch Stop Mount?

I was talking with someone about manufacturing a rear sway bar for our cars but for some reason my e-mails and phone calls aren't going through so now it's in limbo, but last I heard they had already made a prototype and it would have more than one hole for the endlinks so you can select the stiffness you want.

·
Registered
Onyx Green Machine
101 Posts
Sounds fantastic! Can you take pics of the Perrin Pitch Stop Mount?

I was talking with someone about manufacturing a rear sway bar for our cars but for some reason my e-mails and phone calls aren't going through so now it's in limbo, but last I heard they had already made a prototype and it would have more than one hole for the endlinks so you can select the stiffness you want.
I tried to take a picture but I bought the black one (which makes it **** near invisible inside the dark engine bay, and it sits underneath the intercooler so even more stealthy, which makes it hard to photograph. I would try to see if I could again but right now my car is sleeping under snow from the storm impacting us in Maryland.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
I tried to take a picture but I bought the black one (which makes it **** near invisible inside the dark engine bay, and it sits underneath the intercooler so even more stealthy, which makes it hard to photograph. I would try to see if I could again but right now my car is sleeping under snow from the storm impacting us in Maryland.
Ahh.. nevermind I withdraw my request for a photo - I'm sure it looks like like how it looks on other cars. Did you also put in a trans mount insert? If not, curious why not since you've done so much and the trans mount insert just pushes in with fingers.

·
Registered
Onyx Green Machine
101 Posts
Ahh.. nevermind I withdraw my request for a photo - I'm sure it looks like like how it looks on other cars. Did you also put in a trans mount insert? If not, curious why not since you've done so much and the trans mount insert just pushes in with fingers.
Ahh (hand to face) nope totally want to do that as well, but forgot all about that.

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
489 Posts
So my OB Onyx now has Perrin Pitch Stop Mount, Perrin Steering Damper, SSD Front Strut Brace, Wild Peaks on factory 18 inch, and nameless axle back exhaust.
With the exception of the Pitch Stop Mount I have done the same upgrades (different tires though) and I agree, it has made for a very confident and surefooted driving experience.
Just ordered the Perrin Pitch Stop Mount. I thought I was done with my upgrades as of installing my hood struts. Three days later, you ruined it lol. 😅

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #188 (Edited)
Just ordered the Trans mount soft. Need to find the install thread.

@2020XT installed the pitch mount stop as well:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looks like guys are having positive results with the Perrin pitch stop on XT’s. Anyone tried a pitch stop install on a 2.5 NA? I doubt the impact would be as noticeable on my 2.5, but interested in experiences to see if it would be worth considering😎!

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
489 Posts
Looks like guys are having positive results with the Perrin pitch stop on XT’s. Anyone tried a pitch stop install on a 2.5 NA? I doubt the impact would be as noticeable on my 2.5, but interested in experiences to see if it would be worth considering😎!
It fits the 2.5 as well. Same part, and the reality is that the engine/transmission move around no matter whether turbo or non-turbo. It'd be noticeable power/response improvement.

Here's a before/after that shows engine/trans movement:

Pitch Stop Mount calms down movement

Link to Perrin Mount:

https://www.perrin.com/shop/drivetrain/pitch-stop-mount

Link to Grimmspeed Mount (they have not updated fitment, it's the exact same fitment as Perrin; Grimmspeed had standard and 'racing' versions and also bushing kits)

The Grimmspeed Mount

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
489 Posts
anyone do an install guide for the perrin pitch stop mount yet? ive been intrigued as well.
Here's the instructions from Perrin:
Perrin mount install

And this YouTube shows the install process (queued up to the start of install) though you can ignore the part where he installs the transmission mount. On the OB it's a 10-minute install for a pro, maybe 15-20 for a novice.

Perrin mount install video

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here's the instructions from Perrin:
Perrin mount install

And this YouTube shows the install process (queued up to the start of install) though you can ignore the part where he installs the transmission mount. On the OB it's a 10-minute install for a pro, maybe 15-20 for a novice.

Perrin mount install video
That’s a great video showing engine movement (before and after). Tells me all I need to know👍, and thanks for the links.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
I second firming up the transmission mount the same time as the pitch stop because that way the forces aren't all concentrated on the now much firmer pitch stop. They would work best together.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Adding a 60D (soft) anti-wobble mount at the same time maximizes the impact on responsiveness and power. It's a slide-in install. The link is for a 2.5L and there is a different one for 2.4L turbo

2.5L Anti Wobble ADF
I already ordered the 60d for my 2.5 a couple of weeks ago, should be here any day now! Will just need a break from the -25C weather😖 to install! ......." and Thanks for helping me spend more $$! Lol! Great info - Love this site

·
Registered
2013 Impreza Sport and 2020 Outback Onyx edition...
38 Posts
I've been following this thread since day one, and I finally got around to installing the transmission mount insert I got a few months back from @traildogck . I took a somewhat hybrid approach - not completely lubing it and forcing, nor completely dismantling the transmission mount. I did loosen the bolts on the mount and used my floor jack to raise the transmission about 1/4 - inch.

I had both the super-soft and soft versions available, and chose the soft after re-reading the various posts. It took less than an hour, including about a 30 minute test drive. First impression is car is so much smoother in city driving as is power response on the highway. As for the vibration at around 69-72mph, it is definitely damped. I think things are still vibrating due to the lift, but the insert spreads the load.

Bottom line, Subaru should fill this gap in the mount regardless of lift from the factory.

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences here!

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Impreza Sport and 2020 Outback Onyx edition...
38 Posts
Nice pics! Sounds just like the result I experienced. Are you going to follow up and go with a pitch stop mount, and start taking off like a rocket?
LOL! Thanks. Don't need too much launch when "soft-roading";)

181 - 200 of 226 Posts