Subaru Outback Forums banner

201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
@borrowlight could you mention more about your springs and what else you've done with your suspension?

·
Registered
2013 Impreza Sport and 2020 Outback Onyx edition...
38 Posts
@borrowlight could you mention more about your springs and what else you've done with your suspension?
Sure! I have the Wilsonville Subaru "Foundation package", which includes the Primitive Racing 1.25" lift and springs, front and rear, and the rear subframe spacer kit. Dealer installed and warranteed. Adding the Method 502s and Geolandars added another 1/2" of lift. Frankly couldn't tell the difference in the ride or responsiveness from stock. I also added the Subaru skidplates front and rear. Gross ground clearance is approx.10.2"

·
Registered
'20 OB XT Ltd.
45 Posts
Between Grim Speed & Perrin, any thoughts as to bushings/stiffness or preference?

Grimm Speed has 80a (regular) and 95a (Race/Comp) as well as a bushing kit including both durometer bushings. Didn't find any specs for Perrin, but would think it's same or close to Grimm Speed.

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
489 Posts
Between Grim Speed & Perrin, any thoughts as to bushings/stiffness or preference?

Grimm Speed has 80a (regular) and 95a (Race/Comp) as well as a bushing kit including both durometer bushings. Didn't find any specs for Perrin, but would think it's same or close to Grimm Speed.
I’ll tell you later this week. I have the Perrin in now and I think it may have given me some transmission whine. Swapping out for the GrimmSpeed non-racing. Bushings feel a bit softer.

·
Registered
'20 OB XT Ltd.
45 Posts
I’ll tell you later this week. I have the Perrin in now and I think it may have given me some transmission whine. Swapping out for the GrimmSpeed non-racing. Bushings feel a bit softer.
View attachment 504082
Sounds good! Look forward to the feedback. Maybe I’ll bother Perrin if they can provide the durometer of their bushings.

does the bushing size look the same? Maybe the bushing kit of Grimm speed fits Perrin since the part is pretty much the same.

·
Registered
'20 OB XT Ltd.
45 Posts
Well... had I read all of the product description on Perrin site I would have answered my own question. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Interestingly, it’s 2 different durometer.

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
489 Posts
OK, here's the post-install of the GrimmSpeed Pitch Stop Mount (standard version) verdict: So far, The Perrin wins. The GrimmSpeed's NVH is worse; not only louder but also a higher pitch whine, which is annoying enough to swap back to the Perrin but I am not doing that just yet because I learned that Cobb Tuning makes one as well and based on the Durometer measurements it looks like the Cobb is going to be the one that stays in as it has the softest bushings which should translate to the quietest.

Since the rear bushing is up against the firewall I'm assuming that the softest rear bushing will have the greatest impact on sound reduction. If it turns out that the Cobb doesn't win out, I will put the Perrin back in because the performance improvement is great enough that it's acceptable, especially compared to the GrimmSpeed NVH.

Short video which gives you an idea of the whine on the GrimmSpeed version.

What do the GrimmSpeed Sound Like?

And a table of the Durometer measurements of the bushings on the four pitch stop mounts:

IMG_5962.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Onyx
148 Posts
OK, here's the post-install of the GrimmSpeed (standard version) verdict: So far, The Perrin wins. The GrimmSpeed's NVH is worse; not only louder but also a higher pitch whine, which is annoying enough to swap back to the Perrin but I am not doing that just yet because I learned that Cobb Tuning makes one as well and based on the Durometer measurements it looks like the Cobb is going to be the softest bushings which should translate to the quietest.

Since the rear bushing is up against the firewall I'm assuming that the softest rear bushing will have the greatest impact on sound reduction. If it turns out that the Cobb doesn't win out, I will put the Perrin back in because the performance improvement is great enough that it's acceptable, especially compared to the GrimmSpeed NVH.

Short video which gives you an idea of the whine on the GrimmSpeed version.

What do the GrimmSpeed Sound Like?

And a table of the Durometer measurements:

View attachment 504200

View attachment 504199
thanks for doing all the leg work!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #211 (Edited)
Several members expressed interest in getting @traildogck 's transmission mount inserts installed but don't have ramp stands or a floor jack to do the install. It's something that I think is easy enough to do in 10 minutes in a parking lot if you've done it before. We have bitter cold in many parts of the country, and while Covid is decreasing it's still a concern in many parts of the country.

If you have experience doing the trans mount insert and are willing to help others (when weather and other conditions permit) then please put your name in here and your region, and people can contact you privately to organize when/where to meet. It may not be for several months for some, but at least we can get a head start in connecting people.

I'm in Hawaii on the island of Oahu and have ramp stands and a floor jack to help anyone else who needs help installing it. Message me privately and we can plan to get together at some point. It may not be right away. If you want to make sure you have no added noise or vibration the super-soft is what I have, but if you want to "feel" more of the difference the "soft" is firmer and will control the transmission even more, and if you plan to do a lift, or install a stiffer pitch mount I would recommend at least the "soft" instead of "super soft". We know that the soft and super-soft will both push in without much difficulty. Not sure about the even firmer options.

@traildogck is there a reason/circumstance someone should choose something even firmer than the "soft"?

Volunteers to help:
@Subuwu.Outback in Vancouver, BC
@SilverOnyx in Honolulu, Hawaii

·
Registered
2020 Onyx
148 Posts
Several members expressed interest in getting @traildogck 's transmission mount inserts installed but don't have ramp stands or a floor jack to do the install. It's something that I think is easy enough to do in 10 minutes in a parking lot if you've done it before. We have bitter cold in many parts of the country, and while Covid is decreasing it's still a concern in many parts of the country.

If you have experience doing the trans mount insert and are willing to help others (when weather and other conditions permit) then please put your name in here and your region, and people can contact you privately to organize when/where to meet. It may not be for several months for some, but at least we can get a head start in connecting people.

I'm in Hawaii on the island of Oahu and have ramp stands and a floor jack to help anyone else who needs help installing it. Message me privately and we can plan to get together at some point. It may not be right away. If you want to make sure you have no added noise or vibration the super-soft is what I have, but if you want to "feel" more of the difference the "soft" is firmer and will control the transmission even more, and if you plan to do a lift, or install a stiffer pitch mount I would recommend at least the "soft" instead of "super soft". We know that the soft and super-soft will both push in without much difficulty. Not sure about the even firmer options.

@traildogck is there a reason/circumstance someone should choose something even firmer than the "soft"?
according to his ebay listings:
"
CKE Performance transmission insert fits Subaru 2.0/2.4 DIT High torque CVT equipped cars. 60a-Soft, 75da-Medium, 85a-Hard are all available. The soft is best for lifted applications looking to eliminate low speed vibrations from the lift. The medium is a good all around street performance but may transfer some inputs back to the chassis. The 85a is for vehicles that have other driveline upgrades such as motor mounts, pitch stop and differential bushings. Please specify hardness.
"

I'm considering the medium now...but i wish someone else would have had tried it before me. hah

Btw, through ebay, they are offering a 25% discount if two or more are purchased. If anyone in the LA area wants to go in on it, maybe we can do a little group discounted purchase. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
'20 OB XT Ltd.
45 Posts
Trying to grasp why it’s best to get medium or firm if planning to do a pitch stop mount.

What benefit would medium to hard trans mount have?

I’m leaning Cobb or Perrin for the pitch stop mount. Also have the nameless STB, will also do CKEs sway bar bushings (front/rear) which I believe I went firm on those.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #214 (Edited)
Other Subarus that use the beefed up pitch stop mounts also have a corresponding beefed up bracket to attach to the firewall. I don't think that's available for the Gen 6 yet (maybe never?) so by using a stiff pitch stop mount engine/trans which are bolted together and very heavy, will be transmitting torque to that pitch stop and the non-reinforced firewall, so stiffening the transmission mount will help share the load.

Overall if we got firmer engine mounts, trans mount, and pitch stop to share the motion-control duties it would be ideal instead of just strengthening one part that will take increased stress, especially when the firewall isn't reinforced.

I'm not aware of beefed up engine mounts available (if they have spaces/gaps some people remove engine mounts then fill them with window adhesive urethane and put them back).

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT - Touring - Autumn Green
7 Posts

I'm in Vancouver, BC and can definitely help people install it; takes less than 10 minutes if you know what you're doing.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Apparently Subaru makes two different pitch stops that I think will fit in virtually all recent applications:

The OEM mount for most models including ours and the STI from 2008-2011
If you have your stock pitch stop mount could please take a photo of it and compare it to the one below?

The "Group N" variant for the WRX/STI from 2008-2011

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT - Touring - Autumn Green
7 Posts
Apparently Subaru makes two different pitch stops that I think will fit in virtually all recent applications:

The OEM mount for most models including ours and the STI from 2008-2011
If you have your stock pitch stop mount could please take a photo of it and compare it to the one below?

The "Group N" variant for the WRX/STI from 2008-2011
not sure if this is what you’re looking for, but:

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Yes thanks - that confirms that the photo of the "accessory" pitch stop I posted is different than the OEM pre-installed part.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx
148 Posts
My opinion of the Nameless Strut Bar after 3 days.

The car seems to definitely feel stiffer. It almost gives the feeling of having stiffer tire sidewalls. I think it adds a bit of harshness to the ride but nothing dramatic. Just noticeable compared to the stock ride.

If your goal is to off-road, i don't think it'd be a great upgrade.

201 - 220 of 226 Posts