Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

261 - 280 of 320 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #261 (Edited)
The first aftermarket heavy duty shock that works with stock height suspension seems to be these coilovers that @rpmk104 installed, intended for lifted application but if you set the spring perch rings down it should work with stock height. His thread is is terrific and shows a very well thought-out installation in his lifted application. It also has camber plates that can be rotated to provide both camber and caster adjustment - this is advanced stuff.

Initial impression on the ride is that it slightly firmer than stock at full soft rebound (20 clicks of adjustment). The ride is definitely sportier with better body control. Cornering and steering responses is much improved.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Could you be so kind as to say the name of your supplier?
Actually, changed my order today when I found out I can get it right from my Subaru dealer - same price. Just call your dealer Parts Dept and give them the part number (for STI Group N Pitch Stop # D1040FE000). Just as quick and even more trustworthy. I’m starting to be like my better-half ...... I keep shopping for a better deal even after I’ve ordered things🤪.Lol!

·
Registered
2020 Onyx
172 Posts
Actually, changed my order today when I found out I can get it right from my Subaru dealer - same price. Just call your dealer Parts Dept and give them the part number (for STI Group N Pitch Stop # D1040FE000). Just as quick and even more trustworthy. I’m starting to be like my better-half ...... I keep shopping for a better deal even after I’ve ordered things🤪.Lol!
wonder if something changed with the part. Looking at the pictures of the group N i see online STI Group N Pitch Stop Mount , the center area looks much skinnier than the photo from the subaru parts catalog 2011 Subaru Impreza Sti rod, pitching stopper. Brand - D1040FE000 - Genuine Subaru Accessory .

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #264 (Edited)
It's confusing but I think Subaru's own parts website has the wrong image.
ST4100055140 - the asymmetrical one - discontinued 2004 but this is the image on the website
ST410404S000 - looks physically like the stock one - introduced 2004 discontinued 2007?
D1040FE000 - looks physically like the stock one - 2007-current what everyone gets.

Scroll down this page and they say the new one is stiffer

I also have found that the plastic group N pitch stop mount cracks under heavy strain - which is why people buy the metal ones which never ever crack. Would it crack in a CVT equipped Outback? I doubt it. The shock loads that these manual transmission STI guys do with hard launches on their engine and transmission mounts is going to be 10x harsher than what the CVT would do.

Another option is Whiteline has a pitch stop insert kit

·
Registered
2020 Onyx
172 Posts
After several days with the perrin pitch stop I feel like ive gotten somewhat used to the extra noise it is making. I think initially i was hypersensitive of every small change.

The car somewhat now feels like I'm driving in "sport" mode. It seems more difficult to ease into the throttle and i find myself revving a lot higher and driving much faster. The combination of nameless STB and pitch stop definitely has stiffened things up. My MPG has taken a hit and I'm now only around 17.5mpg when im typically about 19.

The car is a bit more fun but it has definitely lost that initial refinement that i loved when I first got the car.

I'm a bit torn on if i should continue this mod route and accept the new dynamics of the car or if i should revert back.

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
543 Posts
I'm a bit torn on if i should continue this mod route
I had 4 different pitch stops installed, including the Perrin, which was 2nd quietest. The Cobb Pitch Stop is quieter than the Perrin (a bit softer front and much softer rear bushing at the firewall). Tiny bit of whine at idle, can't even hear it cruising or accelerating. Sport Mode is a good description, but the pitch stop by itself isn't getting you the smoothest acceleration, until you pair it with the Anti-Wobble transmission mount insert. It's $45, and about a 10 minute install if that. I added the Soft version as opposed to Medium and it made a big difference in throttle response and performance, throughput and CVT shifts.

I didn't take a hit in MPG; is it because you're boosting more? One more thing that helped smooth things out for me was the drop-in K&N air filter; takes a good bit of turbo lag out. I guess the OE air filter leaves the 2.0 gasping for air.

The Anti-Wobble link

·
Registered
Onyx Green Machine
129 Posts
I had 4 different pitch stops installed, including the Perrin, which was 2nd quietest. The Cobb Pitch Stop is quieter than the Perrin (a bit softer front and much softer rear bushing at the firewall). Tiny bit of whine at idle, can't even hear it cruising or accelerating. Sport Mode is a good description, but the pitch stop by itself isn't getting you the smoothest acceleration, until you pair it with the Anti-Wobble transmission mount insert. It's $45, and about a 10 minute install if that. I added the Soft version as opposed to Medium and it made a big difference in throttle response and performance, throughput and CVT shifts.

I didn't take a hit in MPG; is it because you're boosting more? One more thing that helped smooth things out for me was the drop-in K&N air filter; takes a good bit of turbo lag out. I guess the OE air filter leaves the 2.0 gasping for air.

The Anti-Wobble link

View attachment 505507
I also swapped out the air filter to a K&N, was the first mod I did actually. I too haven't taken a hit in mpg.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Regarding the trans bushing insert, I'd like to be very clear as to what it addresses before I purchase and install. The term "drive line lash" is used the most. Would this be the lurch felt when removing your foot from the accelerator? It almost feels as if the CVT doesn't know where to settle at that point. Cruising about 35 mph and you take your foot off, the car feels to disengage just a bit and lurch. Would the insert remove that sensation?

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
543 Posts
Would the insert remove that sensation?
It does improve it, but not as much as the combo of the Pitch Stop Mount (short answer: go Cobb), otherwise all you are doing is stabilizing the transmission but not the engine. Here's what the combination looks like before/after:

·
Registered
Onyx Green Machine
129 Posts
@SilverOnyx @GreenMachineDriver - with regard to your different strut tower bars, other than the two bolt vs four bolt install, are there other pros/cons when comparing them?
For me it was ease of install of the SSD. I believe @SilverOnyx posted a while back that the Nameless was probably more efficient due to build quality etc. But to be honest both work great, unless you are a race car/rally car driver or something both will meet our everyday driving needs.

·
Registered
Onyx Green Machine
129 Posts
It's going to make me wear out my tires faster, because I drive it more aggressively around corners and twists in the road, so that's a negative, I guess.
Lol! I guess that depends on a certain point of view. But I had the same thought this last weekend. I watched all the cars in front of me having to brake into an S turn, but I was able to keep my car from braking at 45mph following the line pretty straight. It didn't feel like I was pushing the car, or tires to the edge of their capability either. Wondering how much wear that put the wildpeaks through though.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Just to be clear both the SSD and Nameless use two bolts on each side and I agree both will work fine.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
I have not tried the pitch stop yet but it probably has a far more dramatic effect than just the trans mount insert, both in making the engine-transmission more stable in the car as well as potentially increasing noise and vibration.

For me the super-soft trans mount insert was mainly to prevent the trans mount from sagging and needing replacement. The effect on the transmission is subtle. Most people are using the soft instead of the super-soft so their experience is different than mine. I'm moving forward in baby steps.

·
Registered
Onyx Green Machine
129 Posts
I have not tried the pitch stop yet but it probably has a far more dramatic effect than just the trans mount insert, both in making the engine-transmission more stable in the car as well as potentially increasing noise and vibration.

For me the super-soft trans mount insert was mainly to prevent the trans mount from sagging and needing replacement. The effect on the transmission is subtle. Most people are using the soft instead of the super-soft so their experience is different than mine. I'm moving forward in baby steps.
I am the opposite. I have the pitch stop, but have not installed the transmount yet. I do have it (soft) but just have been so busy that I haven't been able to schedule a visit to get it installed. I don't have the proper set up to do it my self.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
That's great because you can let us know if you notice anything at all from the trans mount if you have the pitch stop, but thinking about it the pitch stop allows up and down movement but restricts forward and back, and the trans mount is more for vertical support. Engine mounts provide vertical and lateral support. Between the trans mount and the engine mounts it's like a three legged stool.

261 - 280 of 320 Posts