Subaru Outback Forums banner

281 - 300 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
Onyx Green Machine
126 Posts
That's great because you can let us know if you notice anything at all from the trans mount if you have the pitch stop, but thinking about it the pitch stop allows up and down movement but restricts forward and back, and the trans mount is more for vertical support. Engine mounts provide vertical and lateral support. Between the trans mount and the engine mounts it's like a three legged stool.
Looking forward to getting installed! I'll post an update when I get it done.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I really enjoyed this thread! I have been working on a similar concept for the last year , but with a 2014 2.5 cvt Limited. These cars have great potential for good handling and road manners; the wheel base is long enough for good stability at higher speeds , with the right tires and mods, yet short enough to turn in well on curvy roads. I am surprised at how great mine handles after the mods I have done! I learned some things on this thread that I am looking forward to trying. My car has one confidence killer ; it wont hold a line on a long sweeping curve. I have to make steering corrections through a turn that has a constant radius. Terrible! I am pretty convinced that steering lock down is the fix. I will be trying that and adding the trans mount insert as well if they are available for gen 4. i also like the STI pillow ball type strut tower brace. Thanks for all the info. Btw, i looked under a 2021, and noticed the rear sway bar is mounted fwd of the drop down brackets now, but looks very similar to mine. i just installed a Whiteline adjustable, and was thinking it might work for you guys. it is 20mm and i tried to take pics in case anyone wants to do some measuring. The oem bar is 4 11/16" from bar c/l to end liknk hole center, and 35" wide between end link mounts.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Looks great and glad that some of the info in this thread has helped! Do you have a separate thread about your air suspension? I think you did but I can't find it?

Whiteline told me that unfortunately none of their existing bars fit in the Gen 6 so until a new part is created, they don't have a bar for us - yet.

Your Gen 4 looks cleaner underneath than my car - even the barrels of your wheels are clean!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks! I never started a thread, just shared a few comments and pics to related threads. I just organized all my Subaru pics to a folder, so I will try to Start one soon. I have been busy sorting out the HK audio nightmare for the last 2 months, and need to start one for my successes with that also. The blue lower track bars in my pic are a nice addition. They might fit on the new cars. The front uses a rod end and eliminates a deflective bushing, which seemed to make the rear track better. It also has adjustable length to fine tune alignment or tire clearance. Did not notice additional road noise.

·
Registered
153 Posts
06D01D15-CCF4-436D-892C-35B82D28A653.jpeg
It's confusing but I think Subaru's own parts website has the wrong image.
ST4100055140 - the asymmetrical one - discontinued 2004 but this is the image on the website
ST410404S000 - looks physically like the stock one - introduced 2004 discontinued 2007?
D1040FE000 - looks physically like the stock one - 2007-current what everyone gets.

Scroll down this page and they say the new one is stiffer

I also have found that the plastic group N pitch stop mount cracks under heavy strain - which is why people buy the metal ones which never ever crack. Would it crack in a CVT equipped Outback? I doubt it. The shock loads that these manual transmission STI guys do with hard launches on their engine and transmission mounts is going to be 10x harsher than what the CVT would do.

Another option is Whiteline has a pitch stop insert kit
wonder if something changed with the part. Looking at the pictures of the group N i see online STI Group N Pitch Stop Mount , the center area looks much skinnier than the photo from the subaru parts catalog 2011 Subaru Impreza Sti rod, pitching stopper. Brand - D1040FE000 - Genuine Subaru Accessory .
Here’s my STI pitch stop (D1040FE000) from Subaru (you’re right the Subaru site still had the old asymmetrical one). Waiting for warmer weather to install, hopefully in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to seeing how it pairs with the CKE 60d transmount😁!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Between the two of them I'm certain you'll notice a difference.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ready to install my Group N Pitch Stop but looking for some details on the process to remove the intake air system on my 2.5 first. (there are several videos for the Turbo air system removal, but can’t find anything for the NA 2.5). Anyone know where I can find these details?
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Do you have photos of your engine bay? Seems to me you could just loosen band clamps and take the big tube off.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Same engine bay as yours, I was hoping it may be as easy as that, but not sure what the black plastic box is (to the right of the air tube) or if it’s connected - it only seems to be held in place by a plastic clip

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
I just grabbed that photo off the internet so I can't inspect it myself to see, but that black plastic box is probably a resonator - can you inspect it more closely? Maybe take a photo of where you think it connects? No matter what it shouldn't be anything complicated or fragile.

·
Registered
153 Posts
In addition to the clip there should be a small something attached on the lower right portion of the black box - can't tell if it's a vacuum line or something else.

May be a vacuum line, it’s only attached with a small pressure clamp on a flexible hose, so I think with the air tube clamps off, it can be shifted aside without removing the small line.
will give it a try . Thanks for the drawing, confirms nothing underneath the unit

·
Registered
'20 OB XT Ltd.
51 Posts
Just about finished with all the “stage 1.0/2.0” handling mods.
Nameless STB
Cobb pitch stop
ADF cvt insert
CKE sway bar bushing

going to get the Perrin steering damper done sometime this week.

All of the above have really made a good difference in handling and confidence while driving. It’s nothing extremely drastic but well noticeable.
since I did them in stages, probably the most noticeable was STB, cvt insert and pitch stop. I’m sure the steering damper will also make a nice impact.

Question for those who installed the cvt insert, how far in does it mount?
I couldn’t tell if the ridge at the end should be inside or right outside the cvt mount.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
As I recall the ridge is outside (protrudes) both front and back. It can't go too far in because the center cylinder won't let it, so the main thing is that the ridges extend on the opposite side from where it was inserted (comes out the other side).

·
Registered
153 Posts
07C5635E-7AEF-4DA1-978C-82CC857E0767.jpeg

Mine snapped right into place on the last push. Top and bottom should be flush with transmount steel and side edges wrap around the existing rubber supports. This is the 60d soft.

·
Registered
'20 OB XT Ltd.
51 Posts
Thanks all!

Of course, didn’t check back on here and ended up examining my work again on the CvT insert. Saw that the ridge towards the back of the car was outside the mount so makes sense. Sometimes self assurance in your work is worth the extra time/effort.

Now about that steering damper install.... 😳
Did not think it would be such a PIA install. It’s a tight spot to work in and lots of hoses/pieces obstructing your reach and view.

Took off the STB & intercooler. Then did some maneuvers of lifting the front end enough to have the tires barely touch the ground for the upper/lower bolts. Access to bolts wasn’t as bad as I thought.

I found it easier to have the pieces insert horizontally vs. vertically. Dropped the piece only once and recovered easily!

Hardest part was using the Allen key to tighten the long bolt and pull both pieces together. Once it was fully pulled together, the short bolt threaded super easy. Allen/hex rachet would make it much easier like @SilverOnyx noted in his install write up.

Driving with all these parts on has made a substantial difference let me tell you! I did a short test ride on some twisties ranging from 25-60. The car felt entirely more confident. The car also feels more connected and faster to be honest. The floaty feel is significantly reduced or almost gone.

beyond the stability/handling parts, the pitch stop and CVT insert make the “shifts” feel more fluid. I don’t get any jerking shift at times.
There’s minimal NVH in steering wheel and CVT whine.

281 - 300 of 307 Posts