Subaru Outback Forums banner

301 - 307 of 307 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Considering that you read my post on the install and still needed to remove the intercooler, should I edit my original post so that others can be forewarned? Was it simply that you didn't have enough extensions, or the hex bit?

·
Registered
'20 OB XT Ltd.
51 Posts
Guess it depends on preference. My hands/arms could barely fit, plus removing the intercooler made it easier to see the whole steering joint. It’s quick and easy, 6 bolts

I did not have hex bit and only had one extension.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
13 Posts
Received the Perrin Pitch Stop in highlighter yellow (didn't really care for color since you can't see it really) and debating if I should install it.

Driving my XT model, I barely or feel anything when the car goes from 1st to 2nd "gear". For the most part, I accelerate slow (usually hit just below 2 rpms). When picking up speed on the onramp to merge on the highway, can not recall any shutter of the car, but usually traveling about 20-30ish so I don't believe people experience those vibrations at those speeds.
Rarely ever use manual mode, maybe an occasional downshift to reduce speed, but that is when it is still in automatic mode.

Pretty much not sure if I would get much benefit from this mod with my driving style.

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
538 Posts
Pretty much not sure if I would get much benefit from this mod with my driving style.
If you never punch it and engage the turbo, you probably won't. But between the transmission anti-wobble mount and the Pitch Stop Mount there is an awful lot of shaking that disappears and that translates to more efficient throughput of power and a much more 'decisive' transmission. My "fake" shifting has literally disappeared.

Before/After shake: Pitch stop/trans mount

·
Registered
120 Posts
Steering lockdown installed in 35min. on a gen4. I lubed the each half as SilverOnyx recommended and the bolt head (not threads). It had a bit of resistance drawing the two halves together with the long bolt. The short bolt draws them the last 3/16" or so. I did not loosen either steering shaft bolt. I took pics, but decided not to include them, because this is a gen6 thread, and gen4 pics might confuse someone since the universals and damper are in different locations. The lockdown goes on the column side of damper on older models. Looks to me like the gen 6 has a better design with damper above universals (correct me if Im wrong) where gen 4 has damper between 2 unversals.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
So post installation how has it affected your steering?

301 - 307 of 307 Posts