Subaru Outback Forums banner

161 - 180 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
493 Posts
The next thing I installed was @traildogck 's super soft transmission mount insert.
I had been thinking about getting this for a while and had some down time so I picked one up although I think from a different supplier.

All I can say is my driveline must've been much more wobbly than yours because after the install, it is running smooth as silk regardless of how hard I punch it. I am not feeling the uncertainty of the CVT; it's behavior is markedly improved. Frankly I did not think it would change anything but it literally feels as though I got a new conventional dual-clutch automatic transmission. Okay maybe not exactly that, but a very different behavior and smoothness nonetheless.

CKE Subaru Type 2 CVT anti-wobble insert

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
493 Posts
I am actually super curious about the exhaust - please post an audio or video clip when you get it installed.
Just to give you some extra samples, here are a couple of clips after my Nameless axleback 5" muffler install.

The first one is a cold start which runs until it throttles down (at about 35 seconds). The second one is inside the cabin on the road in an accelerate/coasting/accelerate pattern

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
I had been thinking about getting this for a while and had some down time so I picked one up although I think from a different supplier.

All I can say is my driveline must've been much more wobbly than yours because after the install, it is running smooth as silk regardless of how hard I punch it. I am not feeling the uncertainty of the CVT; it's behavior is markedly improved. Frankly I did not think it would change anything but it literally feels as though I got a new conventional dual-clutch automatic transmission. Okay maybe not exactly that, but a very different behavior and smoothness nonetheless.

CKE Subaru Type 1 CVT anti-wobble insert
Interesting - the one I got was the new "super soft" and you got the "soft" which is firmer than mine, which is definitely firmer than the air gap without any insert. I did mention in my review that it seemed as if the transmission was more direct but not as markedly as it has in yours. If there's no additional noise vibration or harshness from the "soft" maybe that would be the better choice? The super soft is squishy almost like those those hand therapy squishy balls.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I like you! Coming into this thread swingin’ with mods and real world reviews. Although you might be costing me a bunch of money! 😂

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
610 Posts

What am I missing, went out to the link posted, it does not list 2.4 or 3.6 engines, so how are you using this with an XT?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
610 Posts
Interesting - the one I got was the new "super soft" and you got the "soft" which is firmer than mine, which is definitely firmer than the air gap without any insert. I did mention in my review that it seemed as if the transmission was more direct but not as markedly as it has in yours. If there's no additional noise vibration or harshness from the "soft" maybe that would be the better choice? The super soft is squishy almost like those those hand therapy squishy balls.
This may make the transmission seem more refined, reduce NVH, but not sure how it is really impacting the actual shifting....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
493 Posts
If there's no additional noise vibration or harshness from the "soft" maybe that would be the better choice? The super soft is squishy almost like those those hand therapy squishy balls.
The "soft" is nowhere near that squishy--I am not sure you can make it noticeably give pressing down with your fingers at all. You can twist it back and forth and side to side but it's resistant to that even. I don't think there's any additional noise, in fact I think it's actually quieter if that makes sense.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
493 Posts
What am I missing, went out to the link posted, it does not list 2.4 or 3.6 engines, so how are you using this with an XT?
Yeah I saw that but I also saw that the review where someone else with a Touring XT installed it. I go to an independent Subaru shop which has Subaru certified techs who have left various dealerships. They did the install and said it was an exact fit.

EDIT: The original link was not correct. I updated the link now.
🧐

No wobbles

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
493 Posts
This may make the transmission seem more refined, reduce NVH, but not sure how it is really impacting the actual shifting....
You're entitled to be skeptical, and make your own choices on buying the mod. I didn't expect improved shifting either, but it sure feels like it. One of the reviewers said the same thing:
"As an added benefit, the car feels like it has better throttle response now. I don't know if that's purely placebo or if it actually helps -- seems like it would, since it limits the amount your transmission moves around before it starts getting the power down."

You'd have to judge for yourself; YMMV, but I've seen several similar reactions expressed.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,175 Posts
Hey All,

There might be some inaccurate listing on the ADF site. The Type 2 insert fits all Subaru Applications with 2.4/2.0 DIT motor. I think the ADF listing mistakenly listed it as 2/5/2.0. The 3.6R CVTs have their own unique insert and do the 2.5 NA cars, which is called the type 1.

To address the question of soft vs super-soft. I am happy to hear @2020XT is happy with the 60a (soft). I know that sometimes, those folks with a lift have reported some new NVH or "buzz" at speeds about 73mph, but I am not 100% convinced this is from the insert. I am confused where you mention that you got my inset from a different supplier and not from me. Was this ADF? Because to my knowledge, no other manufacturer makes a CVT insert.

@SilverOnyx I would be happy to replace your insert with a 60a (soft). The mods you are making and the documentation here is very helpful to others

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
493 Posts
There might be some inaccurate listing on the ADF site.
My bad. I did not initially post the correct link. I have updated it. And yes, I purchased from ADM. I didn't realize that you were with ADM, so I stated that I thought I got mine from a different supplier, though I did contact you about the insert a while back.

ADM Type 2 anti-wobble insert

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
@SilverOnyx I would be happy to replace your insert with a 60a (soft). The mods you are making and the documentation here is very helpful to others
I'm very happy with it the way it is - I'm an incrementalist and try to change the car just a little in as many ways as possible to reach a goal. It might not be rational but transmission mount one step firmer, sway bars one step stiffer, wheels half an inch wider, offset minimally changed from stock. I do think the super soft helps to control transmission movement/slop.

I'm afraid that trying to push the 60a insert in with my bare hands won't be as easy as inserting the squishy one, and I don't want to remove bolts if I don't have to, so if you send me the 60 and it won't push in with my fingers like the super soft then I'm not going to put it in! Numerous videos of people putting transmission mount inserts show it to be more of a struggle the stiffer the insert, sometimes using a vice to press it in, and as a rule of thumb the stiffer the insert the more NVH it may create. For my own purposes I'm not wanting to switch firmness but would be willing to try the experiment (if it pushes in with my fingers) if the information would be useful.

So for people who want to DIY an easy tool-less insertion you can't go wrong with the super soft direct from @traildogck but if you want more control at the risk of potentially higher NVH under certain conditions the Soft will do it. I can't imagine needing anything more than the 60a soft unless your Outback is lifted.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I found myself wondering about something odd when I was doing the Nameless install. HS Physics was a long time ago, and I'm just not that bright to begin with.

Does all of the force applied when you turn the wrench handle get applied to the nut when you use a swivel? In other words, is your torque wrench going to be slightly misleading? My intuition says that the torque reading will be the same, but the force on the nut may not be. Is the difference just trivial, given the scale we're working with?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found myself wondering about something odd when I was doing the Nameless install. HS Physics was a long time ago, and I'm just not that bright to begin with.

Does all of the force applied when you turn the wrench handle get applied to the nut when you use a swivel? In other words, is your torque wrench going to be slightly misleading? My intuition says that the torque reading will be the same, but the force on the nut may not be. Is the difference just trivial, given the scale we're working with?
I thought about that myself but did not worry too much since I plan on checking the nut every so often. I have only driven 50 miles with it so far and the back one has not loosened. The other 2 nuts can be torqued without the adapter. If you really want to figure out the math and adjust accordingly....

BTW, once the back lug is threaded using the swivel and socket, you can fit the torque wrench alone with the socket. It’s just a pain to get the lug started without the swivel.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm very happy with it the way it is - I'm an incrementalist and try to change the car just a little in as many ways as possible to reach a goal. It might not be rational but transmission mount one step firmer, sway bars one step stiffer, wheels half an inch wider, offset minimally changed from stock. I do think the super soft helps to control transmission movement/slop.

I'm afraid that trying to push the 60a insert in with my bare hands won't be as easy as inserting the squishy one, and I don't want to remove bolts if I don't have to, so if you send me the 60 and it won't push in with my fingers like the super soft then I'm not going to put it in! Numerous videos of people putting transmission mount inserts show it to be more of a struggle the stiffer the insert, sometimes using a vice to press it in, and as a rule of thumb the stiffer the insert the more NVH it may create. For my own purposes I'm not wanting to switch firmness but would be willing to try the experiment (if it pushes in with my fingers) if the information would be useful.
So for people who want to DIY an easy tool-less insertion you can't go wrong with the super soft direct from @traildogck but if you want more control at the risk of potentially higher NVH under certain conditions the Soft will do it. I can't imagine needing anything more than the 60a soft unless your Outback is lifted.

Great information everyone, Is there a website to get the super soft for my Gen6? I can’t find it on the web - and the ADF site only seems to have the firm and soft. I also see Rallitek offers inserts, but not sure they fit a Gen6.
The “soft” insert sounds really interesting, but I want to make sure I can install it without taking the trans mount apart, that’s my main reason for preferring the super soft at this point.
Any info on how to order would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Onyx Green Machine
101 Posts
So my OB Onyx now has Perrin Pitch Stop Mount, Perrin Steering Damper, SSD Front Strut Brace, Wild Peaks on factory 18 inch, and nameless axle back exhaust. Car feels in a word... Solid. No kidding, squish is gone, feels like a tank on rails, and the car barely pitches forward and back now. Acceleration feels more grippy since the car isn't lurching anymore when I punch the gas at the light. As to comfort, like I said a tank on rails, but I'll add riding on a fluffy cloud of comfort, pretty much as good if not better than it was straight out of the factory. The exhaust is a bit loud when in low speed, but quiets down when cruising, and during acceleration sounds more like a subie should. Keeping an eye out for rear sway bar, when ever released, and Cobb access port.

161 - 180 of 237 Posts