Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
861 - 880 of 905 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
I think it's more like a "perfect storm":
  • a charging system that won't consistently keep a battery fully charged
  • an incandescent but dim cargo light that turns on inadvertently too easily and may look off because of the privacy glass and never goes to sleep
  • push button start which makes it easy to leave your car with your key but the car is still on (one reason why I like real keys)
  • some batteries that seem to be defective

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
399 Posts
Also might not being in Acc I find one push turns the just the radio on. It will only run for 15 minutes. But if the windows are powered up everything in the car has power. Fule pumps etc and it does not auto turn off.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
Out of paranoia early on I pulled the relays for the electric PTC heater (yes we have an electric + coolant HVAC heater) and for the electric heated mirrors.

Reactions: jzsubaru and Buddy

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
399 Posts
I love the heated mirrors had them on this am it was 44 and they were fogging over while driving.. I remember having a car where turning the key back was Acc middle was off forwards was run with start a bump over run. This one buttion bit makes you have to note what your really in.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
507 Posts
Also might not being in Acc I find one push turns the just the radio on. It will only run for 15 minutes. But if the windows are powered up everything in the car has power. Fule pumps etc and it does not auto turn off.
Yes, one push is accessory with a 6 amp draw. Another press and the speedometer and tach light up and windows will work, now the continuous draw is 16 to 20 amps. That will drain the battery much faster.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
The heated mirrors only takes one relay, the PTC heater takes THREE.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
35 Posts
My 2cents.
One thing I notice is, all the new cars probably have been sitting for a few weeks either on the ship dock or empty lot waiting to be collected. There is a high chance that the battery has been on low level for quite sometimes. The alternator can only charge real reasonable amp while driving; idling doesn't do much.
When I got my brand new cars, I plugged it into the trickle charger I have at home, and I've done this for 3 new Subarus I've bought over the years. All of them showed charge level of 25% when it first arrived home from dealership. :unsure:

I charge the battery to full level to all 3 of my Subaru (16 STI, 17 Impreza, 22 Outback) first day when I got them new at the time. None of them give me any problem over the years I own them. Except for the STI, which is too fun to left at home on snow days, and I daily it every single day, its original battery died at 60K miles.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,611 Posts
I think it's more like a "perfect storm":
  • a charging system that won't consistently keep a battery fully charged
  • an incandescent but dim cargo light that turns on inadvertently too easily and may look off because of the privacy glass and never goes to sleep
  • push button start which makes it easy to leave your car with your key but the car is still on (one reason why I like real keys)
  • some batteries that seem to be defective
I recently did some experimenting and intentionally left the car in accessory mode so my wife could listen to the radio while I went into a store. As I walked away with the fob the car did a few chirps letting me know something was amiss, so Subaru has incorporated a system to let you know you're walking away with the fob and the car isn't off. However, since the car chirps and beeps for so many things, how many people would hear those chirps and ignore them? The technique we use is to always make sure the screen says "see you" before leaving the car, because then we know everything is off.

As to my experiment leaving it in accessory mode: no harm, no fouls, but this wasn't for a very long time so I wouldn't expect there to be a problem. My new EFB batteries from AutoZone continue to perform well in both of my vehicles. There have been several instances where start-stop did not engage despite a fully charged battery, so there are still many things in the long list of items that inhibit start-stop that I don't understand. OTOH, there have been times recently with 95 degree temps just before sunset, a/c blasting and headlights on, start-stop shuts off for the full 60 second red light and cranks right back up. When the a/c is on and start-stop engages, the fan speed is lowered to reduce the electrical drain, the car still stays cool, and it always restarts in time to keep things cool, keep the battery charged, or you press on the gas pedal, whichever comes first. Somewhere I read the break even point for start stop is about 10 seconds, so if I'm sure it's going to be a short stop I use light pressure on the brake so it doesn't engage, but if in doubt I just let it do it's thing.

Regarding the charging algorithm, when I have time I monitor it out of curiosity and continue to be impressed. As an example, even when the battery is fully charged, when letting off the gas and coasting to a stop the voltage consistently jumps up to 14.8 to take advantage of the "free charging" without inducing a fuel mileage penalty.

Regarding keeping the battery fully charged: can a battery be overcharged? Both my truck and my Outback reduce the charging voltage in a very similar way in that it drops from 14 down to the 12.7-13.1 range, which I believe is fully charged. Are they dropping the voltage to reduce drag from the alternator, to prevent overcharging the battery, or a little of both? Similarly, the newest iPhones have an algorithm that reaches full charge just before you need it to prevent long periods of charging a fully charged battery, which would also suggest overcharging a battery isn't necessarily a good thing. I truly don't know what the right answer is, but since my 14 truck and 20 Outback both exhibit very similar charging algorithms, to me it suggests that's state of the art for right now. 5-10 years from now maybe it will be different.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to buy a new Outback, hopefully the Wilderness if the CVT isn't too squishy from what I've been hearing in the reviews. Anyways, is there a way to permanently disable the ASS system or do you have to manually turn it off every time you start the car?
I will make sure I will work in a 620 CCA to 640 CCA battery swap into the deal if it doesn't already come with it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
The only way to permanently turn off auto stop-start is to install a third party device called the auto-stop eliminator. Many of us already have it and it's been flawless.

·
Registered
24 Posts
And this doesn't mess with an other components? Is there no way to go into the car's BIOS (for lack of knowing the correct term) and disabling the ASS from there?
Interesting video. This opens up a slew of other questions now. Why do they have cameras? I guess if I just disconnect them, they don't work. What other hindrancing gadgets do they add to make driving most unpleasant? Do I have to have an app on my phone? Do I have to be connected to starlink?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
The Auto-Stop Eliminator attaches to the canbus via the Eyesight module, but does not affect Eyesight or use the cameras. Nobody has yet figured out how to hack the programming of the car to change these things and the Auto-Stop Eliminator essentially just issues the "auto-stop off" command into the computer network at restart. It's not changing any code, just issuing a command, macro-like. This is probably the safest cleanest and simplest way to accomplish the task, rather than changing code.

You don't need an app on your phone. Starlink can be defeated but it's tricky. So far I think two people have had dealerships disable Starlink completely.

Reactions: David in Norcal

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah I like the ASE, it's pretty nifty. It's good that I can opt out of corporate tracking, because I'm SURE they are just using the information for "research" for their "own data" on how their machines are operating.
But seriously, what are the cameras for?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
Which cameras are you talking about?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Eyesight, I believe. Whatever you are disconnecting to install the ASE. There's 2 of them in the middle of the windshield.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
The cameras in Eyesight are to enable Eyesight automatic emergency braking and all of its functions. The Auto-Stop eliminator DOES NOT USE THE CAMERAS. I don''t understand your question because Subaru Eyesight and is functions are well documented in Subaru promotional literature and on the internet via videos and whatnot. There is no mystery here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh, I just didn't know what they were for. I was thinking it was watching and recording the road ahead and would be used by insurance companies to help determine fault during accidents. Sorry, guess the technology isn't there just yet. I'm just so used to all the technology getting overly integrated in today's world.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
513 Posts
Oh, I just didn't know what they were for. I was thinking it was watching and recording the road ahead and would be used by insurance companies to help determine fault during accidents. Sorry, guess the technology isn't there just yet. I'm just so used to all the technology getting overly integrated in today's world.
If you are so paranoid about Eyesight, why did you, or are you, even considering a Subaru? Also, jumping to conclusions, absent knowledge, is never a good idea.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, crystal white pearl, dark gray interior. Eyesight, Nav, HK radio
779 Posts
If you are so paranoid about Eyesight, why did you, or are you, even considering a Subaru? Also, jumping to conclusions, absent knowledge, is never a good idea.
Seriously. Buy a Yugo and call it good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I didn't know newer Subes came with them and I was checking what they were used for. I don't keep up to date with new car technology. I didn't jump to conclusions, I asked first and then when I received an answer I divulged what I thought it could be based on how other technology around us is used and integrated - not paranoia.

What is a Yugo?

861 - 880 of 905 Posts