Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Outback for my wife in July. The driver's door handle unlock feature is good for just unlocking the driver's door. Can this be programmed to open all of the doors. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,951 Posts
I bought a new Outback for my wife in July. The driver's door handle unlock feature is good for just unlocking the driver's door. Can this be programmed to open all of the doors. Thanks for your input.
Yes, there is a setting in the infotainment that changes this behavior. i.e. whether the driver's door unlocks just that door or all doors.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The paper manual has a terribly incomplete index. With the pdf, you can search and find all kinds of stuff that's not indexed in the paper manual (for instance, setting the rear view mirror compass zones)

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
692 Posts
Also, if you download the pdf to your phone it will not be necessary to keep the manual(s) in the vehicle where there is little storage. I am thinking of road trips where this information could be helpful to solve a problem or help with towing instructions...

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
180 Posts
The first thing I did with my vehicle is look through all the options and settings on my screen. There's a ton of ways to customize the vehicle to your needs.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
345 Posts
Is anyone else having issues with this setting? I always have it set to unlock drivers door only, so that when my wife drives the car by herself, it’s safer for her. However, it’s been our experience that when we’re out together and one of us grabs the driver’s door handle to unlock the car, if the other person grabs for the passenger handle at about the same time or within a second or two, it unlocks also. The other person does not have the second key fob on their person. It happens most of the time this way. Our other car never does this, you have to purposefully unlock the passenger door.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is anyone else having issues with this setting? I always have it set to unlock drivers door only, so that when my wife drives the car by herself, it’s safer for her. However, it’s been our experience that when we’re out together and one of us grabs the driver’s door handle to unlock the car, if the other person grabs for the passenger handle at about the same time or within a second or two, it unlocks also. The other person does not have the second key fob on their person. It happens most of the time this way. Our other car never does this, you have to purposefully unlock the passenger door.
I've noticed this myself. I was over checking in on my dad last week and if he was standing next to the passenger door then half the time or a little better it would unlock his door too and I don't think he had even grabbed the door handle yet. I haven't changed the setting and I've never noticed it unlock when somebody isn't near the passenger door. I don't have passengers in the car all that frequently so I haven't been able to figure out the exact circumstances of when the passenger door unlocks and when it doesn't.

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
199 Posts
Manual says....
. When the access key fob is within
the operating range, it is possible for
anyone, even someone who is not
carrying the access key fob, to operate
the keyless access function.

If the door handle is not touched.... it should not open. Maybe the sensor is too sensitive or moisture in the air....

·
Registered
84 Posts
If the FOB is within range: If someone grabs the driver's handle it unlocks just the driver's door (if configured like you mention). If someone grabs the passenger's door it unlocks all.
So if a person grabs the driver's and another person grabs the passenger's at about the same time it will unlock all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If the FOB is within range: If someone grabs the driver's handle it unlocks just the driver's door (if configured like you mention). If someone grabs the passenger's door it unlocks all.
That's not how my car works. Say the setting is set to driver's door only. If the fob is on the driver's side of the car, only the driver's door can be opened. The passenger's door will not unlock, even if the fob is close to the car on the driver's side. The car senses which side of the car the fob is on, and allows only that door to be opened.

You can test this by leaving your fob on the driver's side outside mirror and then walk around to the passenger's side, that door will not open (if set to driver's door only). If it does, then there is a malfunction of the car's multi antenna system.

I couldn't test trying both doors at the same time (due to insufficient arm length).

·
Registered
2020 Outback
345 Posts
So if a person grabs the driver's and another person grabs the passenger's at about the same time it will unlock all.
I always thought that one purpose of this feature was safety. In other words you should be able to unlock the driver’s door only if you feel the need. And that the other doors remain locked if others are nearby, touching the handle, anything. Our Outback frequently unlocks all doors if someone is close enough to the passenger door when I grab the driver’s door handle.

Our Hyundai has a proximity key and a button on the door handle. One press, driver’s door only. Second press, all doors. Simple. Works every time. And my wife feels safe if she happens to be in a dark parking lot/garage with people around.

If the Outback is designed to open all the doors if someone is simply near the passenger door, I’m disappointed, and frankly, a bit upset. I consider this a design flaw.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
998 Posts
Here’s a trick that does consistently work. If your driver door is programmed for driver only but you open the tailgate first, then when you open the drivers door it unlocks all the doors. I guess the logic is the car thinks you want to unlock everything if you open the tailgate first so it complies. I actually think this is a pretty slick trick and take advantage of it quite often.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here’s a trick that does consistently work. If your driver door is programmed for driver only but you open the tailgate first, then when you open the drivers door it unlocks all the doors. I guess the logic is the car thinks you want to unlock everything if you open the tailgate first so it complies. I actually think this is a pretty slick trick and take advantage of it quite often.
Well, that would explain why it was unlocking inconsistently. Thanks for the explanation!

·
Registered
2020 Outback
345 Posts
That’s not the explanation for what’s happening in my case, however. When either one of us unlocks the driver’s door, if the other person is near or touching the passenger handle, it unlocks the passenger door as well. The driver has the only fob, and the setting is set for “driver‘s door only”. It’s not consistent, but it happens more often than not. If anyone has an explanation, please jump in. I’d like to avoid going to the dealership. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I'm going to guess this is by design. By operating range, it means any of the gray areas shown, and by operating the keyless access function, it means the front door handles or the rear gate open button.... so the fob doesn't have to be directly in front of the antenna (placing the fob right on top of a door handle to test it may not work, that's another caveat, can't be too close to the body of the car).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, if that's how it's supposed to work, then just what is the purpose of the Driver's Door Only setting, if not for security? Sounds like a bug in the software to me.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The scenario in which the driver-only protect works is when you open your driver's door, get in, and then someone tries to open one of the other doors and they're still locked.

I'm curious if the unlock block works if you pull open the driver's door but haven't closed it yet, or if you have to shut the driver's door before it blocks the others from unlocking.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts