Subaru Outback Forums banner

Does/Did Your Gen 6 Outback leak at the front doors?

• Nope.

Votes: 67 77.9%
  • Yes.

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Bonus Round: The Dealer fixed it!

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Bonus Round: The Dealer tried but failed to fix it!

Votes: 2 2.3%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, 2014 Forester, 2007 Outback Limited
47 Posts
Mine haven't leaked on my 2020 Outback, but the weather stripping around the driver front door started falling off when the car was less than a year old. I asked the dealer about it while there for a parts purchase, and they said just to glue it back on, which I did. Was hoping they would offer to do it.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,778 Posts
I think some of the leaks that a few cars have might be related to poor sealing around the door mirrors. The gaskets looked poorly installed on mine.

·
Premium Member
'22 OB Limited XT Abyss Blue
1,006 Posts
Mine haven't leaked on my 2020 Outback, but the weather stripping around the driver front door started falling off when the car was less than a year old. I asked the dealer about it while there for a parts purchase, and they said just to glue it back on, which I did. Was hoping they would offer to do it.
So would I. If the service department wouldn't do it after you made them aware of the problem, I would have talked to the dealership's general manager. I doubt it would have gone much further than that.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
330 Posts
"they said just glue it" ok they clearly need to be educated on TSBs. Take this to the gen mgr, they should have been the ones to expense time and energy and supplies according to this not the customers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,813 Posts
My Outback has 6000 miles and all doors leak. Wish I had know before buying. Subaru doesn’t care.
If you have contacted your dealership's service department regarding the leaks and they are doing nothing, contact Subaru of America and politely lodge a complaint with them. They are very customer-oriented and will probably assist you in getting a resolution to the leaks.

Reactions: wedu22

·
Registered
17 Posts
After researching the internet I find that it is more common than not for a Subaru to leak water. I talked to the fourth person at Subaru and begged them to let me speak to a supervisor or someone in the design section. She said she would connect me with another representative. I think they are afraid to let their supervisor know they cannot handle an issue. Finally I got her to agree to escalate this and pass it on to a supervisor. She said she would have them call the next day. This is three days later and no contact. I think they are well aware of the leaking issues and are ignoring them.
I checked the Tennessee lemon law and found that once you have had the car at a dealer for either a total of or 30 consecutive days and they have not been able to repair the issue, the state will provide you with counsel and will require Subaru to buy the car back. I hate to have to do this because I love the car but with the leaks it will eventually be a pile of rust. My car has been at the dealers for 23 days now with no fix in site. My car has approximately 6000 miles on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After researching the internet I find that it is more common than not for a Subaru to leak water. I talked to the fourth person at Subaru and begged them to let me speak to a supervisor or someone in the design section. She said she would connect me with another representative. I think they are afraid to let their supervisor know they cannot handle an issue. Finally I got her to agree to escalate this and pass it on to a supervisor. She said she would have them call the next day. This is three days later and no contact. I think they are well aware of the leaking issues and are ignoring them.
I checked the Tennessee lemon law and found that once you have had the car at a dealer for either a total of or 30 consecutive days and they have not been able to repair the issue, the state will provide you with counsel and will require Subaru to buy the car back. I hate to have to do this because I love the car but with the leaks it will eventually be a pile of rust. My car has been at the dealers for 23 days now with no fix in site. My car has approximately 6000 miles on it.
My 22 Wilderness leaked on the driver's side, with most of the water pooling on the floor in the back seat. The dealership performed the vapor seal/seam repair on 3 doors and replaced the carpet. After the repair, we had heavy rains in my area and yet again, I found more water in the car. Btw, my driveway is at a 10 degrees angle. At this point, I talked to the dealership and SOA about a buyback. The car went back into the dealership for the 4th time and they finally found the culprit––a seam in the front wheel well wasn't sealed at the factory. Water was seeping in and traveling down a tube/hose and into the cabin. The car seems to be fine now–knock wood.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
I voted also. . . . no leaks with our 2021 Touring - - yet.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
69 Posts
No leaks on my 2020, but experienced the same problem with the driver's door weatherstrip coming loose less than six months after I bought it. Asked the dealer to replace it every time I took it in under the "free" warranty period and they would either poke it back into the groove in the door or tell me to mention it next time I came in.

It still pops out and I still poke it back into the channel in the door. My dealership is a less than pleasant place to go for a few other reasons also and I'll be looking for an independent shop for regular service.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
No leaks on my 2020, but experienced the same problem with the driver's door weatherstrip coming loose less than six months after I bought it. Asked the dealer to replace it every time I took it in under the "free" warranty period and they would either poke it back into the groove in the door or tell me to mention it next time I came in.

It still pops out and I still poke it back into the channel in the door. My dealership is a less than pleasant place to go for a few other reasons also and I'll be looking for an independent shop for regular service.
If your dealership will not assist you with a warranty replacement, or by properly cementing the weatherstripping in place, contact SOA and politely voice your concern. This is a relatively simple issue which should have previously been remedied.

·
Registered
2022 Abyss Blue Pearl/Black Premium, 2.5L, CVT, 11.6 InfoSystem
32 Posts
With the pollen really heavy this time of the year in New England I've gone through the car wash twice so far and no leaks.
Voted "No".

·
Registered
20 Posts
It isn't a problem I've experienced, but I'm curious just how many Gen 6 owners have been plagued by the leaky front door issue.
YES!

2022 Wilderness and this has happened to me twice. It’s only the driver side door and seems to be coming from the area on the hinge side of the door. Damp carpet and rubber mat. Nothing like standing water but since it’s happened twice I’m taking it to the dealer.

I should note this has only happened twice as stated above and both times it occurred were during/after two major storms/downpours with driving rain. The car was sitting static both times overnight when the storms occurred.

It’s an issue because the car isn’t cheap and this shouldn’t be happening even once. To know others have seen the problem tells me something. I don’t want to end up with a moldy mildewed smelly car or worse, a rusted floorboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts