Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!

Does/Did Your Gen 6 infotainment system experience freeze ups, black-outs or reboots?

• No, it has never frozen up, blacked out or rebooted even once.

Votes: 33 16.0%
  • Yes, but it isn't a big deal to me and I never took it in to have the dealer look at it.

Votes: 61 29.6%
  • Yes, but the dealer or SoA said they couldnt duplicate the problem and it stil happens.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Yes, but the dealer or SoA fixed it by replacing the CCU and I don't have problems anymore

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Yes, but I or the dealer fixed it by updating the software and I don't have problems anymore.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Yes, and it bugged me enough that I sold/traded the car or had it repurchased as a Lemon.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Yes, its still happening and I hate that it happens, but waiting on Subaru to offer a fix

Votes: 102 49.5%
  • The dealer (or I) updated my software after October 15, 2021 but my system still has black outs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My dealer (or I) updated my software after October 15, 2021 and my system never has issues anymore.

Votes: 1 0.5%
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As someone who experienced numerous freeze ups usually followed by black outs and reboots on my 2020's infotainment system (prior to getting my CCU replaced), I'm curious just how many other Gen 6 owners are or were in the same boat. Feel free to add more detail about what model year you have, how many miles and any other pertinent details.

·
Registered
Onyx Green Machine
167 Posts
As someone who experienced numerous freeze ups usually followed by black outs and reboots on my 2020's infotainment system (prior to getting my CCU replaced), I'm curious just how many other Gen 6 owners are or were in the same boat. Feel free to add more detail about what model year you have, how many miles and any other pertinent details.
You could add another choice "Yes, its still happening and I hate that it happens, but waiting on Subaru to offer a fix."

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT, Primitive Lift, LP Plates
44 Posts
I have had the freeze and reboot a couple of times, but I've generally had weird issues happen since I bought it (once a month practically), including today. My issue today, which I have had once before, is when I received a call but declined the call, the phone interface stays up and won't go away even if I hit End or use the physical hang-up button (even though my phone says there is no active call). I have to actually turn off Bluetooth for it to go away, however, while most audio functions work after, Android Auto does not play audio (track and pause/play functions seem to respond still though) until I restart the car.

I have also had the volume get "stuck", and won't change no matter whether I turn it down or up. Again restart the car. Of all the issues I have experienced with the head unit, the random reboot is actually the least intrusive.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Mine happens rarely, and I don’t think it’s happened at all since changing to a genuine Apple cable. Build was 12/2020.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,834 Posts
What would you consider for "black out" or "reboot"? My entire screen doesn't black out and/or reboot, but Android Auto sometimes restarts, briefly interrupting the audio stream. It's only for a second and restarts the audio stream automatically.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What would you consider for "black out" or "reboot"? My entire screen doesn't black out and/or reboot, but Android Auto sometimes restarts, briefly interrupting the audio stream. It's only for a second and restarts the audio stream automatically.
You'll recognize a freeze up. The entire system becomes non-responsive to any input. Similarly you'll recognize a black out. The entire the screen goes totally black while the car is on and you are driving followed by one or more reboot sequences similar to when you start the car after it has been completely off. You may or may not get error messages or just the welcome screen. Just losing connectiveity to Android Auto or Apple CarPlay isn't the same thing if the entire system doesn't freeze up or black out or reboot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine is over a month old and have only blacked out and rebooted on drives over 2 hours long while using navigation and listening to satellite radio. On a 8.5hr drive rebooted 3 times, on a 5hr drive rebooted twice and on a 2.5hr drive rebooted once. On "normal" drives the system works just fine but I don't navigate on my daily commute. The car doesn't like my phone so I never physically connect it, it's only connected via Bluetooth in order to make/receive calls.

Emailed SoA complaining about the issue and was told that there's a software update to resolve this, have an appointment for the 6k mile service scheduled and will address the issue while there.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
609 Posts
Cars are quickly turning into big computers now. So sad. Makes me glad I have a simple touch screen on my '17.

Reactions: LogicalPosition

·
Premium Member
2022 Outback Wilderness with moonroof package
158 Posts
So far, no problems with it . . . . [Raps head with knuckles to knock on wood]
2022 OBW 3K miles

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,834 Posts
@ALSG thanks, was just curious if you wanted me to classify what I've seen and in what way but I guess not. I've only driven it on short trips so far, the longest being to the Subaru dealer or work.

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
467 Posts
Only once, and it was connected somehow to my bluetooth. (Android) rebooted in about 10 seconds

·
Registered
2020 XT Touring
34 Posts
This happens at least once a week for me. The infotainment system becomes totally unresponsive (including HVAC controls) and I’ll sometimes get “EyeSight unavailable” errors. Pressing and holding the power button usually does the trick, but it takes awhile to reset.

However, yesterday, I had a new issue. The infotainment system was still responsive, except for anything audio-related (CarPlay, FM radio, etc). Resetting the system would not work, turning the car off/on wouldn’t work, the only thing that fixed it was disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

I don’t know my software version off the top of my head, but it’s the one from the recall at the beginning of the year (with the auto start stop button added on the screen).

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
485 Posts
I’ve never had a total freeze/reboot, but sometimes it drops Apple CarPlay randomly. Annoying while using Waze or google for nav. Usually occurs when most needed!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
73 Posts
My scenario was not up there so I will just add a comment. Mine froze and rebooted once while I was using an older Moto phone and Android Auto. I have since upgraded to a new oneplus 8t, and have not had any issue since.

I did also order a oneplus usb A to C cable to keep in the car as I have seen lots of issues when trying to use other manufacturers usb cables with different brand phones.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited XT
19 Posts
Several times a week, almost always at THE most inconvenient time. (It either shuts down altogether, "mutes" the GPS, randomly disconnects from bluetooth, etc. Subaru only says "there's a software upgrade coming" I rely on that "stuff" enough that if its not fixed within the next few months, will be trading this car in.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
882 Posts
Several times a week, almost always at THE most inconvenient time. (It either shuts down altogether, "mutes" the GPS, randomly disconnects from bluetooth, etc. Subaru only says "there's a software upgrade coming" I rely on that "stuff" enough that if its not fixed within the next few months, will be trading this car in.
Have you contacted your local dealer for a replacement of the CCU? That seems to take care of a number of people's problems, though it is not an answer for everyone's. I personally have never had an infotainment unit crash or reboot in our 2021 Touring, but then again, I don't use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Best of luck at any rate.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts