Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!

Does/Did Your Gen 6 infotainment system experience freeze ups, black-outs or reboots?

• No, it has never frozen up, blacked out or rebooted even once.

Votes: 37 16.5%
  • Yes, but it isn't a big deal to me and I never took it in to have the dealer look at it.

Votes: 66 29.5%
  • Yes, but the dealer or SoA said they couldnt duplicate the problem and it stil happens.

Votes: 20 8.9%
  • Yes, but the dealer or SoA fixed it by replacing the CCU and I don't have problems anymore

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Yes, but I or the dealer fixed it by updating the software and I don't have problems anymore.

• Yes, and it bugged me enough that I sold/traded the car or had it repurchased as a Lemon.

• Yes, its still happening and I hate that it happens, but waiting on Subaru to offer a fix

Votes: 104 46.4%
  • The dealer (or I) updated my software after October 15, 2021 but my system still has black outs.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • My dealer (or I) updated my software after October 15, 2021 and my system never has issues anymore.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Bonus Round: All of my infotainment glitches only occured during the daytime with headlights off.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Bonus Round: Some of my infotainment glitches occurred at night.

Votes: 0 0.0%
181 - 200 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got back from a trip where the entire console blacked out and restarted four or five times along the way, maddingly just as I was in the city and needed nav guidance. Happened both with built-in nav on and using maps and music apps in CarPlay. It had done this once or twice before in the six months or so I've had the car but my dealer couldn't replicate and therefore said they couldn't fix. Anyone have similar issues and, if so, how did you get this resolved? I checked for software/map updates maybe a week ago and had the latest at that time. Thanks in advance.
I have a 2021 Subaru Legacy Touring and have the same problem. The whole screen blanks out for a minute or 2 and when it comes back the sound for the navigation does not work until the car is restarted. I have taken it to the dealer but of course the problem did not happen for them.

·
Administrator
1,373 Posts
Recent 2021 'freeze' thread merged into this one.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Outdoor XT
90 Posts
Happened for first time today.

21 Onyx XT
Outside temp 18C
No phone plugged in but likely was Bluetooth paired
Listening to FM radio

Screen blacked out and rebooted with RAB and eyesight disabled messages on center gauge screen along with "Loading Audio..."

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
39 Posts
Happens to me on occasion and I travel often for work. It is quite irritating but I put up with it. I don't demand perfection. My wife has a Crosstrek and I wish my infotainment was like hers. She has the 8" screen on a limited model and the screen quality is so much better than the Outbacks goofy screen.

What is really depressing is the new 2022 wrx has the same lame screen, so apparently Subaru doesn't seem to think this new design with having the HVAC and infotainment as one is a problem.

EDIT: On a positive side, Subaru is sticking with this infotainment system on a new gen wrx which could mean they will continue doing bug fixes and upgrades to this particular platform.

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
399 Posts
Only issue i have is when a passenger plugs in a phone to charge . The audio goes in to mute.. just adjusting the station brings it back. If they take pictures while plugged in same issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Went to the dealership today, they did a quick verification of the software version, that was it.

They are ordering a new radio and will call to set an appointment for installation once it arrives.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Went to the dealership today, they did a quick verification of the software version, that was it.

They are ordering a new radio and will call to set an appointment for installation once it arrives.
Software can be updated, typically, so I'm confused why the new head unit/screen. Questioning this move by the dealer...If yours needs replaced there is a reason and that reason will likely be the same/similar for most if not all of us. Or, there may have been a build batch that is known faulty. Did they provide any detail that makes sense?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Software can be updated, typically, so I'm confused why the new head unit/screen. Questioning this move by the dealer...If yours needs replaced there is a reason and that reason will likely be the same/similar for most if not all of us. Or, there may have been a build batch that is known faulty. Did they provide any detail that makes sense?
Agree with you, if this is the right call for me should be the right call for everyone but we all know that even replacing the unit doesn't warranties that the problem will be fixed.

My car is a 3 month old '21 Limited and has the latest version of software, they didn't provide any details other than tell me about the unit being replaced. Maybe having SoA in the mix helped in the decision.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,445 Posts
It would be interesting to run a similar poll and break it down by model year. i.e. 2020 vs 2022. Some of us might decide to trade if the gremlins were gone.

p.s. IMHO, this goes beyond a software issue or much of it would have been patched by now. My guess is that there are limitations and or defects in the hardware on some vehicles. ( Mine being one of them)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,445 Posts
Only issue i have is when a passenger plugs in a phone to charge . The audio goes in to mute.. just adjusting the station brings it back. If they take pictures while plugged in same issue.
Have them plug into the rear of the console vs dash position. Alternatively, they could also use the in glove box or inside console 12V outlet with an adapter. As I recall, it's only the in dash USB's that take input signals that would effect anything.

·
Registered
'20 Outback Onyx XT AGM/'04 Forester XT
427 Posts
Have them plug into the rear of the console vs dash position. Alternatively, they could also use the in glove box or inside console 12V outlet with an adapter. As I recall, it's only the in dash USB's that take input signals that would effect anything.
Or buy a data blocker adapter and they can just use the front USB port for charging.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had this happen to me this morning, so I figured I'd throw something up here too. Its only happened maybe ~4 times in the year I've had the car, and it recovers quickly from its occasional "episode." Each of these times the behavior was the same, the system would be very very laggy or unresponsive to inputs for a couple of minutes after startup. Shortly into the drive the screen would go black and reboot, and the dashboard would throw a series of errors including "Eyesight Disabled" and "RAB Disabled" but the reboot only took less than a minute for things to come back to life and all of the errors self-cleared without any other intervention. No impact on drivability or other "normal car" operation as it went down the road while doing its reboot thing.

As an electrical engineer with a working understanding that electronic hardware and programming for non-critical consumer-grade devices are rarely perfect, I just attribute it to "computers aren't perfect and crash sometimes" and don't let it bother me too much.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wonderful that you're rarely in a hurry. I'm rarely in a hurry, but often, I would like to get in my car and go pretty quickly. I understand how John feels. Sometimes, I've driven five minutes or so before everything kicks in. Most times, I get in the car and it doesn't recognize me. Sometimes, I get in the car and it "recognizes" me before I've gotten in completely inside, and I think there's no way that it did. Sometimes, I take time to, you know, not be in such a hurry and wait those sixty seconds, and tether my phone, but the screen says "No device connected". I have experienced sooo much more than just those little things. I expect my car to act, you know, the way I paid for it to act.
Being in a hurry shouldn't even be a consideration. I expect to be able to start a modern car and drive off on my way -- without having to wait for mysterious bootup processes to do their thing. I realize a modern vehicle is a technical wonder, but one should get generally the same immediate response of that of a toaster or lawnmower: It just starts and runs.

It's getting into safety and driver-attention issues -- you know, the "i agree to be a good little driver" button -- when the driver cannot immediately switch radio channels to get rid of that grating ABBA song but more importantly cannot adjust climate controls and other settings that are significant. Any of that should be able to be dealt with while the car is in park, not with fleeting, rightward glances toward the console while steering a couple tons of metal down the street at 30mph.

I resent that i should have to apologize and accept concessions for, i dunno, using the promised, built-in technology and features that maybe were part of what inspired me to buy this machine in the first place. Don't promise if you can't deliver. Don't sell vaporware then blame the user when it doesn't work.

Don't tempt me to jeopardize my safety and that of others just because your GD buttons don't click till i've driven a quarter mile.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The trend here seems to be that the more features you use, the higher the incidence of head unit problems.
Again, I resent that i should have to apologize and accept concessions for, i dunno, using the promised, built-in technology and features that maybe were part of what inspired me to buy this machine in the first place.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,860 Posts
Any of that should be able to be dealt with while the car is in park, not with fleeting, rightward glances toward the console while steering a couple tons of metal down the street at 30mph.
And it can be. By the time I'm ready to interact with the infotainment screen it's completed its boot, or is nearly complete and I'm not waiting long for it to be ready. Maybe I'm just not in as much of a rush as some of you...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went two weeks without an incident letting it boot up before plugging in my iPhone. Upon midweek I began plugging it in before start and still no issues. Can’t say one pattern affects the unit any more or less than the other now.

·
Registered
'21 Outback Premium, '21 Crosstrek Premium
9 Posts
I was at the dealer for service this morning and mentioned the radio and the advisor said that yes its a known issue and nothing has been out recently. I had them check my software and I do have the most recent software. One thing I have been doing is not touching the radio when starting the car; I don't even touch the "I Agree" button when its booting. Seems to be better now with dropping Carplay but could just be a fluke honestly.

The dealer I spoke with this morning is Matt Slap Subaru in Newark, DE for what it's worth. My next service is in April so fingers crossed software will be out by then to help with these ongoing headaches.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,860 Posts
For whatever it might be worth - I took another road trip this past weekend and had zero issues with my 21. I had Android Auto displaying the map, playing XM radio and for most of it there was even an iPhone also plugged in. I made the 3+ hour trip home without a break and without an issue with the radio. There was a rest stop on the way out but still no issues.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had reset issues a few times super sporadically in the past and ignored it. Did a ~2500mi trip and had reboots on the drive up and back ... some multiple times within an hour, and other days with none. Some reboots were quick and smooth others took the system forever to re-load maps and phone connections. Android Auto on one of the last re-boots reverted back to the small half screen version.

I brought it in locally and they confirmed software was up to date and informed me that they ordered a new head unit. Should be a few weeks, but I'll have another long drive in Nov where we'll ultimately test it again.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
...and informed me that they ordered a new head unit. Should be a few weeks, but I'll have another long drive in Nov where we'll ultimately test it again.
Interesting. Was the head unit still malfunctioning when you brought it in?

Many of us had the dealer tell us they couldn't replicate the problem and made us kick and scream to get new head units.

181 - 200 of 262 Posts