Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!

Does/Did Your Gen 6 infotainment system experience freeze ups, black-outs or reboots?

• No, it has never frozen up, blacked out or rebooted even once.

Votes: 37 16.5%
  • Yes, but it isn't a big deal to me and I never took it in to have the dealer look at it.

Votes: 66 29.5%
  • Yes, but the dealer or SoA said they couldnt duplicate the problem and it stil happens.

Votes: 20 8.9%
  • Yes, but the dealer or SoA fixed it by replacing the CCU and I don't have problems anymore

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Yes, but I or the dealer fixed it by updating the software and I don't have problems anymore.

• Yes, and it bugged me enough that I sold/traded the car or had it repurchased as a Lemon.

• Yes, its still happening and I hate that it happens, but waiting on Subaru to offer a fix

Votes: 104 46.4%
  • The dealer (or I) updated my software after October 15, 2021 but my system still has black outs.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • My dealer (or I) updated my software after October 15, 2021 and my system never has issues anymore.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Bonus Round: All of my infotainment glitches only occured during the daytime with headlights off.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Bonus Round: Some of my infotainment glitches occurred at night.

Votes: 0 0.0%
201 - 220 of 262 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
Just a reminder that a "new" head unit (CCU) is probably a refurb and though early on it solved a lot of issues, more recent head unit replacements haven't solved the issues, so either it's a software issue and changing hardware doesn't help, or it's a hardware issue and they're replacing your head unit with one that came from another car with head unit issues that got recycled into the refurb pool and didn't have the hardware repaired.

• Wow
Reactions: bloomz

·
Registered
243 Posts
Interesting. Was the head unit still malfunctioning when you brought it in?

Many of us had the dealer tell us they couldn't replicate the problem and made us kick and scream to get new head units.
It was not and that was my question to them as it is something that is nearly impossible to replicate.

Just a reminder that a "new" head unit (CCU) is probably a refurb and though early on it solved a lot of issues, more recent head unit replacements haven't solved the issues, so either it's a software issue and changing hardware doesn't help, or it's a hardware issue and they're replacing your head unit with one that came from another car with head unit issues that got recycled into the refurb pool and didn't have the hardware repaired.
Good to know and I'll check with them. They called in between meetings so I didn't have a chance to go into depth with the guy on the phone.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Changed vote after yesterday's first experience with blank screen after one year of ownership. There was no obvious reason for screen to go dark, no phones attached, etc.. We were approaching a red light and restarted vehicle to fix. In addition to the dangerous to use UI and conflicting directions issued by NAV, we now have blackouts to contend with. Shameful.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited XT
71 Posts
just had something interesting happen to my radio. I haven't drove the car in nearly 3wks as I had covid and pneumonia until today. Radio was only playing out of the front speaker for call audio. Didn't correct itself until I had sent a text over voice through carplay. Anybody else have something like that happen? I was beginning to wonder if something had "broken" in my time being sick.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,862 Posts
just had something interesting happen to my radio. I haven't drove the car in nearly 3wks as I had covid and pneumonia until today. Radio was only playing out of the front speaker for call audio. Didn't correct itself until I had sent a text over voice through carplay. Anybody else have something like that happen? I was beginning to wonder if something had "broken" in my time being sick.
I wonder if this is similar to what I've had happen on Android. If I plug in right as a notification is coming in (and playing), the radio audio can sometimes "stick" on notifications. My way out is to somehow trigger an alert (driving directions maybe, or possible calling up Assistant) or unplug the phone and plug it back in, then it returns to normal operation. It's happened 2-3x since I bought the car in late May.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
I’ve experienced this occasionally on CarPlay. Unplug, replug, fixed.

I have yet to use CarPlay in any vehicle that didn’t have some bugs. I’m sure it’s because these are essentially little computers on wheels, so glitches are expected.

This said, the Subaru 11.6” system seems more buggy than most. I can’t help but believe they would be be well served to go back to hard controls for HVAC and seat heaters. This would minimize what the touch interface is used for.

I could still live with this system if they just fixed the darned low call volume issue.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
For those with Apple Carplay, the latest version 15.02 that came out 2 days ago seems to solve some issues. I just got a new version of Android Auto yesterday.

Reactions: ALSG

·
Registered
134 Posts
... I can’t help but believe they would be be well served to go back to hard controls for HVAC and seat heaters. This would minimize what the touch interface is used for.
What he said.

Those are the controls i would think most people would tend to be wanting to re-adjust mid-trip, at highway speed, possibly in the dark.

Without tactile controls, you either poke randomly at two levels of the touchscreen (then up or down within them) or take your eyes off the road to make the change. One is unsatisfactory, the other downright dangerous.

at least the temperature buttons can be adjusted while staring straight ahead.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,611 Posts
For those with Apple Carplay, the latest version 15.02 that came out 2 days ago seems to solve some issues. I just got a new version of Android Auto yesterday.
iOS 15.0.2 works better through Bluetooth, about the same through CarPlay but also more stable and consistent.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Touring XT
212 Posts
Locked up again and rebooted itself just after starting the car. I have it on XM most of the time and it is normally slow before I hear anything so always wonder if it is going to work or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had another instance yesterday. Plugged my phone in while the “I agree” screen was still up. CarPlay started playing music from Spotify and put Waze on the screen. A minute later once I started driving the audio started crackling like the last time it froze up. Unplugged phone and CarPlay stayed frozen on the screen. Had to do the power button reset.

I’m now at ~4 freezes/restarts in under 9k miles. Definitely seems tied to letting the head unit warm up.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 · (Edited)
Check the sticky software 'Gigathread", there's a new update out...
Yes there is a new update available and the files are available in the Software Gigathread 2020 Outback Software GIGATHREAD if you want to do a self-update. Dealers will do the update for vehicles still under warranty.

For those who do the update or get the update done at the dealership, please post here and feel free to update your vote if your problems are resolved by the update or it they stay the same. With any luck they won't get worse, but who knows!

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness Crystal Pearl White
11 Posts
Yes, this happened with both 2020 XT LTD Outbacks we had. I even did the software update to both vehicles and it still occurred. Wife and I are Android users and sometimes it was as simple as a bad cable. But reboots and partial system operations (i.e. Radio, Media buttons wouldn't work) still occurred. We traded in both OBs for one 2022 Outback Wilderness. So far, no reboots but sometimes it's a delayed response after pressing the buttons. As it is a computer with a rather larger LCD touch screen, we have the 8 year, 100k warranty on it.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Yes, this happened with both 2020 XT LTD Outbacks we had. I even did the software update to both vehicles and it still occurred. Wife and I are Android users and sometimes it was as simple as a bad cable. But reboots and partial system operations (i.e. Radio, Media buttons wouldn't work) still occurred. We traded in both OBs for one 2022 Outback Wilderness. So far, no reboots but sometimes it's a delayed response after pressing the buttons. As it is a computer with a rather larger LCD touch screen, we have the 8 year, 100k warranty on it.
As of today, there's an update to the software for the Wilderness, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How do I see the current software version on the car? Want to be able to make sure the dealer actually updates it next time I take it in.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
@ALSG can you add a poll of whether or not anyone experiences crashing or blank screens after the October 15 2021 update, or if after the update they have not had a crash?

201 - 220 of 262 Posts