Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!

Does/Did Your Gen 6 infotainment system experience freeze ups, black-outs or reboots?

• No, it has never frozen up, blacked out or rebooted even once.

Votes: 39 15.3%
  • Yes, but it isn't a big deal to me and I never took it in to have the dealer look at it.

Votes: 75 29.4%
  • Yes, but the dealer or SoA said they couldnt duplicate the problem and it stil happens.

Votes: 28 11.0%
  • Yes, but the dealer or SoA fixed it by replacing the CCU and I don't have problems anymore

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Yes, but I or the dealer fixed it by updating the software and I don't have problems anymore.

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Yes, and it bugged me enough that I sold/traded the car or had it repurchased as a Lemon.

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Yes, its still happening and I hate that it happens, but waiting on Subaru to offer a fix

Votes: 115 45.1%
  • The dealer (or I) updated my software after October 15, 2021 but my system still has black outs.

• My dealer (or I) updated my software after October 15, 2021 and my system never has issues anymore.

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Bonus Round: All of my infotainment glitches only occured during the daytime with headlights off.

• Bonus Round: Some of my infotainment glitches occurred at night.

Votes: 3 1.2%
241 - 260 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,544 Posts
I'm not sure 4 days is a significant amount of time to say "it's never done it again" in a poll. That's wishful thinking and not based on anything of value. Mine used to go a week or two between crash's. Then it went back to every day or two. I updated yesterday but it's to early to even hope that this is fixed. I'm just not that optimistic after 3 previous updates failed.
Cartoon Vertebrate Mammal Happy Gesture

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
I'm not sure 4 days is a significant amount of time to say "it's never done it again" in a poll. That's wishful thinking and not based on anything of value. Mine used to go a week or two between crash's. Then it went back to every day or two. I updated yesterday but it's to early to even hope that this is fixed. I'm just not that optimistic after 3 previous updates failed.
View attachment 523394 .
I completely agree. But at some point it will become a useful choice. Meanwhile, if anyone chooses it and later experiences a blackout, they can change their vote in the poll.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,454 Posts
It's not as if people are flocking to the poll to report that their car is working fine. Only one person has, and it's not me because mine has never rebooted so my vote is still in item #1 but any future reboots would go into the second to last category - reboot after the update.

Reactions: ALSG

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,454 Posts
Thanks for that last comment - the poll says multiple votes allowed so I just added myself to no reboots after update, so I'm now double voted.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
I have to wonder if Subaru put their software engineers to work on this poll. My math shows a total of 109.5% reporting. Of those, 95% are reporting their head units are still broke. 🤥 🤨
Yes, multiple votes are permitted. I'm not sure the results are particularly scientific but overall I think they indicate there were and still are problems with rebooting, notwithstanding the 32 people who report never having had a problem.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,454 Posts
Of course you realize that people with no problem are less likely to click on a thread about issues that don't affect them. I am curious how many people have multi-voted. Can you as the poll starter see info that regular participants can't?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Of course it is the case that people with problems are more likely to respond. I don't think the poll accurately reflects percentages of problems/no problems. But it is useful in that it does identify that there are, indeed, problems and quite a few.

To answer your question, I can only see the total number of voters (currently 209). There are currently 229 votes. That means there are 20 duplicate votes.

Time to call in the Cyber Ninjas, lol.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,544 Posts
Of course you realize that people with no problem are less likely to click on a thread about issues that don't affect them. I am curious how many people have multi-voted. Can you as the poll starter see info that regular participants can't?
That could be some multi voting but I'm betting it's a small number given they are all still within the 95% "I have a problem" group. Clearly there still is a significant issue as we sit today.

p.s. Why wouldn't a poll just move a recast vote vs count the user twice? Does sound like Subaru software to me.
p.p.s. It's been 24 hours without a head unit blackout. Not ready to rejoice yet but there is a glimmer of hope since I drove allot today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As someone who experienced numerous freeze ups usually followed by black outs and reboots on my 2020's infotainment system (prior to getting my CCU replaced), I'm curious just how many other Gen 6 owners are or were in the same boat. Feel free to add more detail about what model year you have, how many miles and any other pertinent details.
My 2020 Outback, 12000 miles, infotainment system just started blacking out & freezing up, call the dealership & was told to bring it in to check for an update or they might replace the radio. Before 10/18/21 everything worked perfect.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
384 Posts
I upgraded my system on Tuesday. On Wednesday as I was driving to work the system rebooted twice. Hopefully it was just a housekeeping issue. My previous version 42-380 hadn’t rebooted in months.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
45 Posts
Just updated my vote. Firmware successfully updated last Saturday, iPhone on iOS 15.0.2 with a genuine cable and had my first full unit crash (on the new firmware). CarPlay struggled to initialize and then the screen went completely black and lost all Eyesight functionality. Between the issues with my Subaru dealership and SOA's handling of my botched bumper install and now this disappointing software, I'm afraid I've lost any faith in Subaru. I'm going to be looking to sell while the prices are high and getting something else.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
732 Posts
At this point I don’t have too many qualms paying more for a car that doesn’t frustrate me. Just gotta find one…
I understand people get frustrated with a vehicle that gives them repeated trouble. However, what is the value of announcing this on that vehicle's forum?

Send a letter/call to your dealer indicating what you are doing and why.

Send the letter to SOA (or the Subaru entity in your country) with the same information.

Will SOA or your dealer do something? Who knows. But they have a better chance than other owners on a discussion forum.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
45 Posts
I understand people get frustrated with a vehicle that gives them repeated trouble. However, what is the value of announcing this on that vehicle's forum?
Without trying to derail the thread too much. I think there is value for people researching the new Outbacks or maybe other members in a similar position to identify that the infotainment system is such a major issue that someone wants to trade in their car over it. If nobody ever said anything about their issues that made them trade in a car, how would people know they existed?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
@drphilnye I'm sorry about the continuing infotainment issues and appreciate the info you've added to this thread. But since one of the poll options is, "Yes, and it bugged me enough that I sold/traded the car or had it repurchased as a Lemon," it is totally legitimate for you to say in this thread, which I started, that is the direction you are heading in. If you do end up going there, please update your vote in the poll.

241 - 260 of 312 Posts