Subaru Outback Forums banner

Does/Did Your Gen 6 infotainment system experience freeze ups, black-outs or reboots?

• No, it has never frozen up, blacked out or rebooted even once.

Votes: 39 15.3%
  • Yes, but it isn't a big deal to me and I never took it in to have the dealer look at it.

Votes: 75 29.4%
  • Yes, but the dealer or SoA said they couldnt duplicate the problem and it stil happens.

Votes: 28 11.0%
  • Yes, but the dealer or SoA fixed it by replacing the CCU and I don't have problems anymore

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Yes, but I or the dealer fixed it by updating the software and I don't have problems anymore.

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Yes, and it bugged me enough that I sold/traded the car or had it repurchased as a Lemon.

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Yes, its still happening and I hate that it happens, but waiting on Subaru to offer a fix

Votes: 115 45.1%
  • The dealer (or I) updated my software after October 15, 2021 but my system still has black outs.

• My dealer (or I) updated my software after October 15, 2021 and my system never has issues anymore.

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Bonus Round: All of my infotainment glitches only occured during the daytime with headlights off.

• Bonus Round: Some of my infotainment glitches occurred at night.

Votes: 3 1.2%
261 - 280 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
29 Posts
Appears that I am now a member of the black screen/reboot club.
Just started happening, maybe 4 out of 5 driving episodes in the week.
Phone was plugged in once, for charging. No Android Auto.

Going to attempt the SW update.
The closest Subaru dealer (and the one where I purchased the OB) is around 1 1/2 hours away.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT, Crystal White Pearl
69 Posts
We had our first blackout after driving for several hours. My Google Pixel 3XL was connected for charging and Android Auto. Both the phone and all apps had been updated prior to leaving for the trip. I would guess to make somewhere around 3 to 5 hours of driving was when we had the first blackout. The entire screen went completely black and after maybe 10 to 20 seconds it came on with the little greeting you would normally see where you have to click on I agree. In order to get Android Auto to work again, we had to disconnect the charging cable from the phone, close Android Auto, restart Android Auto and it seemed like everything was working, with the exception of the sound. We were playing Sirius XM but could not hear the sound until Android Auto was restarted on the phone. The second blackout was several days later with the same type of scenario, having traveled about 3 to 5 hours with a complete total blackout. But on that day the blackout occurred several times within an hour of the first blackout. Each with different results in regards to something else not working such as eyesight not being available for probably 10 minutes, so therefore anything associated to eyesight was not available as well. Also sound issues were the same where you could barely hear the sound from Sirius XM. Since we're nearing 5,000 mi on the vehicle, once we return from vacation it will be going in the shop for the oil change, the issue with the head unit, the seat fan and the passenger seat screaming when it's turned on after a cold morning, and, last but not least, the hands-free tailgate opening only works a very small fraction of the time.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,387 Posts
Can you verify if your blackout was with headlights on or off, and whether or not your system software was updated with the October 15th software?

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Can you verify if your blackout was with headlights on or off, and whether or not your system software was updated with the October 15th software?
And put your responses in the poll (you can vote multiple times to select all applicable).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, I'll head lights on as I typically drive with headlights on at all times. No software update has been done as that will be requested when I go in for the oil change.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,387 Posts
That's science - gather data to disprove a hypothesis, not trying to seek only confirmatory data. But I want to gather more data. It's not as if every infotainment failure is caused by one and only one thing. It can be multiple things, but no single thing seems to be "the one" thing.
  • Sirius XM is more likely to crash.
  • Having a phone connected is more likely to crash.
  • Head units with Nav seem more likely to crash.
  • Long drives are more likely to crash.
  • Is it more likely with headlights off? - need more data.
We know that it also crashes without any of those specific correlates.

Reactions: ALSG

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,016 Posts
With the update prior to the Oct. 15 one installed I satisfied all of these conditions (with an Android phone) for a 3 hour stint behind the wheel (no stops where the engine shut off) at night and had zero blackouts. I have not installed the latest update.

·
Registered
2020 Defender
407 Posts
That's science - gather data to disprove a hypothesis, not trying to seek only confirmatory data. But I want to gather more data. It's not as if every infotainment failure is caused by one and only one thing. It can be multiple things, but no single thing seems to be "the one" thing.
I haven't had a reboot since July 2020 but it was only because I unloaded the Outback and have been driving a different brand. That should be listed in your questions. At some point as it has been two years since the Gen 6 was released things have to move on. SOA should just do a blanket offer like VW did with the diesel situation. Offer a one time credit or buyback and be done with it. For the record, I let VW buy back my Passat TDI because it developed a coolant leak that even though was fixed, blew the smell of anti-freeze into the cabin. My mother took the credit for her TDI wagon and never had any real problems.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,016 Posts
That should be listed in your questions
It's a poll option. Which questions are you referring to?

I haven't had a reboot since July 2020 but it was only because I unloaded the Outback and have been driving a different brand.
We get it, you got rid of yours. The only posts I've seen from you are those suggesting people sell their Outbacks as you've done. Is that your only purpose for continuing to visit this forum, to drive people away from these vehicles? You're VERY close to finding your way to my ignore list...

·
Registered
69 Posts
As a side note, I reached out to Subaru of America regarding the software update back on July 8th. They stated the update was being worked on at that time and would be available the first of August. I reached out again in August but they stated it was not yet available and I would be contacted via email when the update was available. I believe I reached back out in September and they stated the same thing that the update was not yet available and I would be notified via email. Also to check the website for the update to download and install. I was not able to locate it at that time at the end of September so I decided just to wait until the 5, 000 mi oil change and have the dealership install it that time. I had not checked the website since the mid September time frame so is not aware that was actually an update available at that October 15th date I've been reading about. I probably would have tried to do the update myself prior to the trip. I did update the navigational maps earlier this year but that voice assist within the navigation software is pathetic. No matter how clearly we speak the address we wish to route to, it never understands what either my wife or I say for the address.

·
Registered
2020 Defender
407 Posts
@hallux I am flattered you read my posts, but check out all of them. Guess you missed my thread elsewhere on this site suggesting Subaru is in a unique position for custom orders similar to what Ford is doing. I actually miss my Touring XT as it was driven everywhere and it shined on the highway even though it was clunky around town. For instance, last week I had an airport trip that if the Outback was still with me, drive it there to park and drive home upon my return. Plus, I really like the design language that introduces the Jeep / Volvo grill. However, we currently have a 2021 RAV 4 as a rental due to someone hitting the XC40 and it is a similar workhorse to the Touring XT.

Anyway, my reason for posting yesterday was because once the troubleshooting steps include if the headlights are on, what is next? What the tire pressure is or if someone is sitting in the driver seat? Its end of the road for troubleshooting and people should stop spinning their wheels. In NJ, the threshold for Lemon is three repair attempts. It could be argued that if the October 2021 software patch and two updates prior did not address it, the threshold for Lemon will have been met.

In my post above, I suggested there could be some monetary to make owners whole but let them keep the vehicles. However, after additional thought that might not be possible as during the blackouts, it takes out Eyesight. As that safety system being inoperable increases the chance of accident, not sure the remedy of money is an option legally.

IMHO, the infotainment blackouts are a hardware issue and @SilverOnyx said it best there are some vehicles that are without powertrain and infotainment quirks and then there are those that are not. Trying to put a software patch to address a hardware issue is never truly a fix. There is evidence that the software patch has made the problem worse in frequency. Does it mean some future campaign that swaps out CCU for a known working or one of newer design solves the issue? Statistically that is the most comprehensive solution.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got my first two blackouts recently. Firmware was 380. Did not install the October update. Used Bluetooth to play music. For the first one (I think it is the first time), it took longer for the system to load. And then several minutes later, blackout happened. In both cases, the system restarted quickly. But AVH did not function after the reboot. Had to shut down the car, and then it seemed to be back to normal.

Before these two blackout, one weird thing happened. At one night, the system kept warning me to keep focused. I was looking at the road, but the system just kept warning me. After shutting down the car for about half an hour, the system seemed to be normal again.

And then this past week, the two blackouts happened.

Had no issues before.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
The more data points we have on the old software, the clearer the picture will be on whether the new software has solved the problems with the old, whether they remain about the same or whether they have increased.

261 - 280 of 312 Posts