Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!

Does/Did Your Gen 6 infotainment system experience freeze ups, black-outs or reboots?

• No, it has never frozen up, blacked out or rebooted even once.

Votes: 37 16.5%
  • Yes, but it isn't a big deal to me and I never took it in to have the dealer look at it.

Votes: 66 29.5%
  • Yes, but the dealer or SoA said they couldnt duplicate the problem and it stil happens.

Votes: 20 8.9%
  • Yes, but the dealer or SoA fixed it by replacing the CCU and I don't have problems anymore

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Yes, but I or the dealer fixed it by updating the software and I don't have problems anymore.

• Yes, and it bugged me enough that I sold/traded the car or had it repurchased as a Lemon.

• Yes, its still happening and I hate that it happens, but waiting on Subaru to offer a fix

Votes: 104 46.4%
  • The dealer (or I) updated my software after October 15, 2021 but my system still has black outs.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • My dealer (or I) updated my software after October 15, 2021 and my system never has issues anymore.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Bonus Round: All of my infotainment glitches only occured during the daytime with headlights off.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Bonus Round: Some of my infotainment glitches occurred at night.

Votes: 0 0.0%
161 - 180 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Outback Premium, '21 Crosstrek Premium
9 Posts
My 2021 premium has been doing it more and more lately. Today was the first time it froze, went black and rebooted on its own and went back into CarPlay like nothing. Usually the screen freezes and I force a restart by holding the volume button down. Eyesight deactivates while it reboots too. I also get an alert that the CarPlay connection couldn’t be established. I’m due for my first oil change so I’ll ask the dealer about the radio when I go. Seems it’s wait and see at this point from reading.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited --> 2021 Blue Abyss Outback Touring XT
13 Posts
My 2021 premium has been doing it more and more lately. Today was the first time it froze, went black and rebooted on its own and went back into CarPlay like nothing. Usually the screen freezes and I force a restart by holding the volume button down. Eyesight deactivates while it reboots too. I also get an alert that the CarPlay connection couldn’t be established. I’m due for my first oil change so I’ll ask the dealer about the radio when I go. Seems it’s wait and see at this point from reading.
Exactly what I'm seeing with my 21 Touring XT. I'll be at 6K soon and will ask for an update when in for the oil change.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,860 Posts
Is everyone that's having these screen freezes running Apple phones and using CarPlay? Maybe there needs to be a new poll thread to see what the breakdown is? How long are you usually driving your vehicle when it happens? Most of my driving is 30 minutes or so, using Android Auto, and I haven't been having any trouble. Maybe the driving time is also a factor?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is everyone that's having these screen freezes running Apple phones and using CarPlay? Maybe there needs to be a new poll thread to see what the breakdown is? How long are you usually driving your vehicle when it happens? Most of my driving is 30 minutes or so, using Android Auto, and I haven't been having any trouble. Maybe the driving time is also a factor?
I'm using CarPlay and my iPhone. I have begun not starting the car with the iPhone plugged in, allowing the monster to boot up, then plugging in. It isn't perfect but so far no issues. The screen is slow and not the friendliest but it works. Not certain if I'm ready to let go of it yet and lose out on the fees and trade value I had built up.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited --> 2021 Blue Abyss Outback Touring XT
13 Posts
I am using CarPlay. I don't plug in until the car is started, and most recently the rebooting starts after about an hour of driving. Last trip where it happened was a total drive time of 5.5 hours, broken up halfway with a one hour stop.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited XT
19 Posts
I never used CarPlay, though my phone was usually connected via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,245 Posts
Its only anecdotal, but I SEEM to have the most screen lag/freeze issues while using Car Play. This is my first phone with CarPlay and I have to say its not anywhere near as great as I had hoped. I still use it, for the connection for certain reasons, but I mount my phone and do most controls on my phone, not the CarPlay screen, because I hate it so much and actually find its more distracting from my driving than using the phone where its mounted. That aside, it DOES seem most of my lag/freeze issues seem to relate to using CarPlay.

I will say this though. Early on when the 2020s came out, and I bought one, there was a lot of talk about screen issues by those experiencing some, and many worried about it hesitant to buy the car. Many talked about losing the climate controls because they are integrated. This was not a concern to me because I had already had a 2013 Outback, with separate climate hard controls, and that car would lose power to the screen, AND the separate climate hard controls, randomly, while driving, and it took me forever to get Subaru to find the issue and finally fix it (because they could never replicate the problem).

But in 2019 when these cars were getting in peoples hands, and some were having screen issues, I went to forums for other car brands, and found they were all discussing freezing issues with their screens too. The push for bigger screens and more features through the screens was huge in the last 5 years. These heavy computer driven systems are all going to be prone to these issues and at least in 2019, many other manufacturers were having the same issues. I doubt its changed in a couple years. Computers and software is complicated, and never fully tested to work out bugs before going to market. Dealers and their service departments are not exactly IT trained.

I just dont think this is going to get solved anytime soon for most car manufacturers. Computers running software of multiple types like this crash. Its very common. For context, for years I have worked in a room where we mix audio for TV shows. We use very powerful Macs (about 7 of them in one room) all using the industry standard software (Pro Tools) that has been heavily used throughout the industry for decades now. Downtime in these studios is very expensive. These systems crash while working, daily. We work with the maker of the software, and sometimes bugs get attention and fixed sooner than later, but these systems still crash. Being one of the largest post production companies in the business, we could say "this is unacceptable", and it would do no good. There is no other solution that would be better. I would like to see any car manufacturer who has these systems in their car and DOESN'T have software conflict/crashing issues. I think you would be hard pressed to find it. Also, these problems are not easy to solve, esp as those working at the dealers are more trained to fix a CAR, not fix software issues in the head unit. They have to be able to replicate it, and I dont mean the untrained people at the dealer, but the companies writing the software/manufacturing the head units. The issue will come down to frequency. How often is it crashing, and how quickly is Subaru fixing it. The idea that crashing issues will be 100% solved in these head units for any car brand, I think its not realistic. Even our phones crash or have software bugs. Apps and even the OS is constantly being updated for this reason. This is the cost of relying more on these types of systems in cars. I am not saying we should all just be quiet and accept it, not at all. We SHOULD be on Subaru's case for all these issues, so they know they need to up their game to have more people trained better to deal with these types of things, if more of the car is going to be screen-reliant. But I think we should all keep in mind that intermittent problems that cant be replicated at the dealer in any easy way, and have mostly to do with the head units, are not easy to fix in a timely manner.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do any base model owners have issues with the infotainment system? I've read a few of these threads on here and nobody seems to mention the base model with its split screens.
I have a 2020 Outback and I believe it is a base model… I have had alot of trouble with my infoscreen (ac/radio). The dealership dudes just say a software update is coming. They’ve been saying that for months. It’s aggravating. Sometimes my air conditioning won’t adjust, I have to turn off car and turn it on again for the a/c to adjust when I press the buttons. Radio won’t come on for a minute or so when I start car. $400/mo for this. If it ain’t fixed by Christmas I am trading iin.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I believe it is a base model
If all your windows except the front 3 (front doors and windshield) are tinted, you have a Premium. You can also tell that by looking at the center screen, if it's one single piece of glass with all of the controls on it you have a Premium. Clear rear glass and split screens puts you in the base model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You guys might be on to something with waiting to plug your phone in until the head unit has warmed up. I start my car via the app probably 9 times out of 10 so the head unit has plenty of time before I plug my phone in. The few times I’ve had issues with rebooting/freezing I’m pretty sure have been after I started it with the button and plugged my phone immediately.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's my experience on a 2021 Outback: I have an Android (Samsung S20+) connected via to the USB front port. It seems to happen on long road trips >2 hrs -- just driving along and suddenly it goes blank. The blank part is likely a system reboot that takes about 2 min. Then it comes back on again. Sometimes it will reconnect to my phone, other times I have to unplug and plug to get it to recognize my phone again. The reboot can happen with our without Android Auto running. It also happens on a Google Pixel phone so its definitely NOT a specific phone issue.

The only think that I can see from my experience that it has happened more times than not areas where mobile service is low or non-existence. For example I drive from Washington, DC to Richmond, VA which is a 2 hour trip and all is fine. But when I go from Richmond, VA to Raleigh, NC, I'll hit an area that has little to no service and it reboots in that 100 mile stretch. Of course I have no proof. But I know it doesn't happen much with the DC-Richmond leg.

I've taken it to the dealership during an oil change and all they did was "update the software" (which they didn't because I took a picture of the sw version screen) and reset the entire system. The reset looses all of my presets including the seat position and driver profiles.

Now, keep in mind the issue only happens when there is a phone plugged it. I have never experience a reboot othewise.

I have pictures but it's pointless..."yep, it's a blank screen on the highway," not much they can do about it. I'll probably have to wait it out.

So that's my experience.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here's my experience on a 2021 Outback: I have an Android (Samsung S20+) connected via to the USB front port. It seems to happen on long road trips >2 hrs -- just driving along and suddenly it goes blank. The blank part is likely a system reboot that takes about 2 min. Then it comes back on again. Sometimes it will reconnect to my phone, other times I have to unplug and plug to get it to recognize my phone again. The reboot can happen with our without Android Auto running. It also happens on a Google Pixel phone so its definitely NOT a specific phone issue.

The only think that I can see from my experience that it has happened more times than not areas where mobile service is low or non-existence. For example I drive from Washington, DC to Richmond, VA which is a 2 hour trip and all is fine. But when I go from Richmond, VA to Raleigh, NC, I'll hit an area that has little to no service and it reboots in that 100 mile stretch. Of course I have no proof. But I know it doesn't happen much with the DC-Richmond leg.

I've taken it to the dealership during an oil change and all they did was "update the software" (which they didn't because I took a picture of the sw version screen) and reset the entire system. The reset looses all of my presets including the seat position and driver profiles.

Now, keep in mind the issue only happens when there is a phone plugged it. I have never experience a reboot othewise.

I have pictures but it's pointless..."yep, it's a blank screen on the highway," not much they can do about it. I'll probably have to wait it out.

So that's my experience.
More than not I'm thinking this has to be software related unless there's something with the USB port they used that creates a disconnect or incompatibility issue with the software...

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT Ice Silver
9 Posts
This recently happened to me a couple of weeks ago after the STARLINK disconnected. I’d get the blanking and stalling intermittently. I disconnected my phone from the Bluetooth and refreshed the app. Apparently there was an upgrade for the STARLINK. And seemed to fix the problem?

I took the car into the dealership for 6k maintenance to check on this, and of course they couldn’t duplicate it. They mentioned to try to get a video of it next time, whenever that will be….

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey V4 cyl
431 Posts
I'm using neither and I have freezes. But not as frequent as others on here using either one or both.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey V4 cyl
431 Posts
Its only anecdotal, but I SEEM to have the most screen lag/freeze issues while using Car Play. This is my first phone with CarPlay and I have to say its not anywhere near as great as I had hoped. I still use it, for the connection for certain reasons, but I mount my phone and do most controls on my phone, not the CarPlay screen, because I hate it so much and actually find its more distracting from my driving than using the phone where its mounted. That aside, it DOES seem most of my lag/freeze issues seem to relate to using CarPlay.

I will say this though. Early on when the 2020s came out, and I bought one, there was a lot of talk about screen issues by those experiencing some, and many worried about it hesitant to buy the car. Many talked about losing the climate controls because they are integrated. This was not a concern to me because I had already had a 2013 Outback, with separate climate hard controls, and that car would lose power to the screen, AND the separate climate hard controls, randomly, while driving, and it took me forever to get Subaru to find the issue and finally fix it (because they could never replicate the problem).

But in 2019 when these cars were getting in peoples hands, and some were having screen issues, I went to forums for other car brands, and found they were all discussing freezing issues with their screens too. The push for bigger screens and more features through the screens was huge in the last 5 years. These heavy computer driven systems are all going to be prone to these issues and at least in 2019, many other manufacturers were having the same issues. I doubt its changed in a couple years. Computers and software is complicated, and never fully tested to work out bugs before going to market. Dealers and their service departments are not exactly IT trained.

I just dont think this is going to get solved anytime soon for most car manufacturers. Computers running software of multiple types like this crash. Its very common. For context, for years I have worked in a room where we mix audio for TV shows. We use very powerful Macs (about 7 of them in one room) all using the industry standard software (Pro Tools) that has been heavily used throughout the industry for decades now. Downtime in these studios is very expensive. These systems crash while working, daily. We work with the maker of the software, and sometimes bugs get attention and fixed sooner than later, but these systems still crash. Being one of the largest post production companies in the business, we could say "this is unacceptable", and it would do no good. There is no other solution that would be better. I would like to see any car manufacturer who has these systems in their car and DOESN'T have software conflict/crashing issues. I think you would be hard pressed to find it. Also, these problems are not easy to solve, esp as those working at the dealers are more trained to fix a CAR, not fix software issues in the head unit. They have to be able to replicate it, and I dont mean the untrained people at the dealer, but the companies writing the software/manufacturing the head units. The issue will come down to frequency. How often is it crashing, and how quickly is Subaru fixing it. The idea that crashing issues will be 100% solved in these head units for any car brand, I think its not realistic. Even our phones crash or have software bugs. Apps and even the OS is constantly being updated for this reason. This is the cost of relying more on these types of systems in cars. I am not saying we should all just be quiet and accept it, not at all. We SHOULD be on Subaru's case for all these issues, so they know they need to up their game to have more people trained better to deal with these types of things, if more of the car is going to be screen-reliant. But I think we should all keep in mind that intermittent problems that cant be replicated at the dealer in any easy way, and have mostly to do with the head units, are not easy to fix in a timely manner.

just my 2 cents.
Spot on. Speaking generally, software is kicked out the door faster with less time spent on testing and fixing bugs. Basically they are letting the customers be there QA. I know some companies that downsized their QA department (but kept some) for this reason. Most of the time, if it's not a showstopper (i.e. crashes everytime you push a button or click on a main link or something that 100% prevents you from using the software) they don't bother to fix it before release, just to get it out the door. But they'll release more fixes in between versions. Its all about trying to do more with less people.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Spot on. Speaking generally, software is kicked out the door faster with less time spent on testing and fixing bugs. Basically they are letting the customers be there QA. I know some companies that downsized their QA department (but kept some) for this reason. Most of the time, if it's not a showstopper (i.e. crashes everytime you push a button or click on a main link or something that 100% prevents you from using the software) they don't bother to fix it before release, just to get it out the door. But they'll release more fixes in between versions. Its all about trying to do more with less people.
My swag is there are incompatibilities in addition to software that require different hardware for a fix. As suggested by another, they'll refresh the Outback with those fixes, leaving those like me foolish enough to buy a vehicle during its first year of production, or years in the new Outback, holding the bag.

In comparison, the first year of a new generation Avalon we purchased, other than a whistling windshield fixed after two swaps, has been a tank. There's little doubt the mechanicals of the Outback are similarly robust.

Their "strategy" of ship it and we'll fix it was unexpectedly complicated by Covid.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Speaking generally, software is kicked out the door faster with less time spent on testing and fixing bugs. Basically they are letting the customers be there QA
Actually, you bring up an interesting point. While some (most?) developers have public beta programs, this really isn't an option when developing software for a new vehicle that nobody is driving yet. Yes, I'm sure Subaru has a QA department, but the best test is real-world which is why there are public beta versions for Android. Public beta testing allows for the software to be tested by the people that will use it, I can't think of a better QA team than that but does ANYONE want to intentionally run a possibly buggy version of the software on THEIR vehicle now that there are many of us driving compatible vehicles?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Those expecting an infotainment screen swap could have to wait. It's a shame they shipped so many Outbacks with faulty systems.

Semiconductor shortage that has hobbled manufacturing worldwide is getting worse
I'm still not having issues with mine since I went to waiting to plug in AFTER starting the car and allowing the system to boot up fully. Thanks for sharing the link. Interesting how our government thinks they can legislate a way out of this and enact orders that can finger point at bad players make the problem worse. If I were in charge at Intel I'd be hesitant to increase production lines to appease this shortage unless I had a safety net. Can we afford to subsidize this industry or can we afford not to? Ughhh

161 - 180 of 262 Posts