Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've stuck with Subaru for awhile now, always the upper trim level Foresters or as current an Outback. And I've always wanted just a tad bit more thigh support. The front of the seat just doesn't raise high enough. It's tolerable but I'm always wishing for just a little more behind the knees thigh support. Something like I can get in a Jeep Grand Cherokee or the upper trim level Santa Fe.

So when I read that the new 2020 Legacy and Outback upper trims would have a driver's seat thigh extender, I was like "Great!" And then I ran across this video of the interior of the 2020 Outback where the guy just grabs the seat extender and pulls it in and out. Like it's going to be manual and not electric like other vehicles that have this feature. Gimme a break Subaru!
It's at the 1:17 mark in the video. I'm thinking this can't be right? Subaru wouldn't make this feature manual? They're all about safety. Who wants to be driving and trying to adjust the extender manually.
https://youtu.be/BGFWHpJD7fY?t=77

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,915 Posts
Subaru still uses manual steering wheel adjustments into 2019. My 1998 Ford was electric.

What did you expect?

Subaru is a value brand and they make value orientated vehicles.

90+ percent of their cars are below the average price of a vehicle.

·
Registered
298 Posts

100% manual. I was in the car at the auto show yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,045 Posts
Also bear in mind that, power or manual, the companies usually warn you to do interior adjustments while the car is stationary for safety's sake......

The lack of power seat thigh support doesn't bother me at all...not at the expense of the add'l motor, drive components, etc........

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,572 Posts
Subaru still uses manual steering wheel adjustments into 2019. My 1998 Ford was electric.

What did you expect?

well,

the Ford GT that Clarkson drove slowly from NYC to Niagara Falls (via NJ and PA),

had manual telescoping pedals.

presumably to "have" them for tall and short people, ...but to save weight/wires/ automation on yet another electric motor.

Now if only subaru would stop treating the passenger seat as for 2nd class citizens and not being as functional as the driver seat.

Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
500 Posts
Some good points raised about the need for adjustable thigh support. As to manual vs electric motor design, I'll reserve judgment until I can actually test the new seats with my butt in them. I might be ok with reduced cost, complexity and weight if the manual version works and fits me well.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,347 Posts
well,

the Ford GT that Clarkson drove slowly from NYC to Niagara Falls (via NJ and PA),

had manual telescoping pedals.

presumably to "have" them for tall and short people, ...but to save weight/wires/ automation on yet another electric motor.

Now if only subaru would stop treating the passenger seat as for 2nd class citizens and not being as functional as the driver seat.
Seems they have improved the passenger seat. It is 8 way now, was 4 way.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,572 Posts
Seems they have improved the passenger seat. It is 8 way now, was 4 way.
yup, no floppy thigh support though.

and on Gen2 the driver seat is electric, and the passenger seat is manual.

so the conditions get better,....but the outback passenger is still in 2nd class compared to the driver.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse) 2016 Outback Limited (Daughter)
565 Posts
If you want to test that feature of the seat, sit in an upper trim Ascent...

Reactions: Kevin and JamesBond

·
Banned
6,264 Posts

What did you expect?

+1, unfortunately Brucey too many here think they are buying something special and not the Japanese equivalent of a Hyundai Excel. Warts should be expected along with fewer bells and whistles than more upscale brands.

Corners have to be cut when your price point is below the average price of most new vehicles.

Reactions: JamesBond

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,915 Posts
+1, unfortunately Brucey too many here think they are buying something special and not the Japanese equivalent of a Hyundai Excel. Warts should be expected along with fewer bells and whistles than more upscale brands.

Corners have to be cut when your price point is below the average price of most new vehicles.
I'm not sure if pricing has been announced yet for the 2020 but current Outback MSRP of a touring model is just at the average price of a vehicle. The Ascent upper trims and some of the limited run STIs are the only thing above the average price. $37,000 is the KBB average price which means that's what Joe the plumber will spend on a vehicle. Meanwhile I can't even find a Lexus even advertised under 37k. I think some C classes and 3 series will get that cheap but I'm not going to bother looking it up.

I'm sure you know all this but others might not.

I just don't get why people think it's a luxury vehicle or how they can expect so much. I just had someone comment on one of my videos that it was a shame I was "taking a luxury vehicle" and they "never advertised it to go off road". >:)

I like mine and think it's a great value for my needs. AWD and radar cruise for 30k. Throw the dogs and all our stuff in it and don't really care when it gets pinstriped in the bushes or I dent the roof with the kayaks.

To be fair though I would do all that if it was 100k.

0:)

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
977 Posts
I stay away from the the upper trim Subaru's. From a value standpoint the premium with a discount is your best choice. My premium Ascent with option 12 was 34k about a year ago. No sunroof(dont like them) or thigh extension with leather( not a show stopper for me and I can always add better quality leather in 3 rows for around 1500.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium (The Superoo), Graphite Gray Metallic, CVT, Yoko Geolandar G015 AT 225/65R-17
236 Posts
We live in a world where people complain about having to manually adjust their thigh support on their 8-way power seats. Meanwhile they're totally capable of blowing chilled air between your legs while the car automatically follows the traffic in front of you using radar. We're driving spaceships people. HTFU ;)

*I totally complained that this car doesn't have the option of a panoramic sunroof.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium ; 2019 Outback Premium
124 Posts
I'm not sure if pricing has been announced yet for the 2020 but current Outback MSRP of a touring model is just at the average price of a vehicle. The Ascent upper trims and some of the limited run STIs are the only thing above the average price. $37,000 is the KBB average price which means that's what Joe the plumber will spend on a vehicle. Meanwhile I can't even find a Lexus even advertised under 37k. I think some C classes and 3 series will get that cheap but I'm not going to bother looking it up.

I'm sure you know all this but others might not.

I just don't get why people think it's a luxury vehicle or how they can expect so much. I just had someone comment on one of my videos that it was a shame I was "taking a luxury vehicle" and they "never advertised it to go off road". >:)

I like mine and think it's a great value for my needs. AWD and radar cruise for 30k. Throw the dogs and all our stuff in it and don't really care when it gets pinstriped in the bushes or I dent the roof with the kayaks.

To be fair though I would do all that if it was 100k.

0:)
I agree that it is not a luxury vehicle. However, after sitting in quite a few similar priced and slightly higher priced models at the NY auto show, the Outback definitely holds it own. I was very surprised at the poor fit and finish of some of the vehicles. Some higher priced vehicles feeling downright cheap inside.

Funny how cars are such a personal thing. I sat in some very expensive Audi's, Mercedes etc and the most comfortable car i sat in all day was the Mazda 6 :surprise:

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
It's amusing when someone wants to make their point "extra special" they say it is a safety issue.

Mostly I disregard their opinions when they throw that herring in to the mix. Its an indication that they are basing their demands upon emotion and a sense of self entitlement.

"Daddy, I want a golden goose and I want it NOW!"

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,702 Posts
I stay away from the the upper trim Subaru's. From a value standpoint the premium with a discount is your best choice. My premium Ascent with option 12 was 34k about a year ago. No sunroof(dont like them) or thigh extension with leather( not a show stopper for me and I can always add better quality leather in 3 rows for around 1500.

If you're buying an appliance, sure. The premium trim level is the sweet spot for Subaru pricing. In a cold climate, you get the essentials like heated seats. Personally, I like having a sunroof in the winter to let in as much daylight as possible. I like the extra power of the upgraded engine. I really like keyless entry/pushbutton start. I use the remote power liftgate all the time so I don't get road salt all over me. I prefer leather over cloth. I'd be ok with a premium trim but I see the value paying the big up-charge for the horsepower and features.

At this point, it's kind of moot. Unless I total the car, I'm going to drive my 2015 6-cylinder for a couple more years before I re-assess keep vs replace. If my car is still solid at 6 years, I may end up skipping Gen 6 completely. I really want plug-in hybrid and self-driving features in my next car.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts