Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
power or manual, the companies usually warn you to do interior adjustments while the car is stationary for safety's sake.....
Yup. Even though you can probably find the switches by feel it is just one more distraction while operating. Manuel is great especially if nobody else who might drive the car know how to adjust it. It will always be set up the way you left it.

Reactions: NYhiker

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,045 Posts
Yup. Even though you can probably find the switches by feel it is just one more distraction while operating. Manuel is great especially if nobody else who might drive the car know how to adjust it. It will always be set up the way you left it.
I can tell my your avatar that we're very much alike........and ditto as to my knowledge (or interest) in every last control option on the multi-function HU...not really interested in stock market reports or last week's engine temp........

Distraction is my concern so, other than a formal test drive in the new OB, I think I know what I'll be getting......BUT, I COULD be wrong.........I'm leaving the door open.:grin2:

Steve

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,507 Posts
Like it's going to be manual and not electric like other vehicles that have this feature. Gimme a break Subaru!
I am happy that they have added this feature, period. If anyone is going to complain about it being manual and not electric keep in mind that the same people would probably complain, if it were electric, about it eventually failing due to the fact that it is electric.

If you want to test that feature of the seat, sit in an upper trim Ascent...
I love this feature in the Ascent and it was at the top of my list of things I wanted on the 2020 Outback.

I stay away from the the upper trim Subaru's. From a value standpoint the premium with a discount is your best choice. My premium Ascent with option 12 was 34k about a year ago. No sunroof(dont like them) or thigh extension with leather( not a show stopper for me and I can always add better quality leather in 3 rows for around 1500.
This thread is about vehicles with a thigh extender.

We live in a world where people complain about having to manually adjust their thigh support on their 8-way power seats. Meanwhile they're totally capable of blowing chilled air between your legs while the car automatically follows the traffic in front of you using radar. We're driving spaceships people. HTFU ;)

*I totally complained that this car doesn't have the option of a panoramic sunroof.
Most people simply cannot be happy anymore, especially potential car buyers. It's a big reason why I couldn't wait to leave the auto sales business because I was tired of dealing with this incessant nonsense.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,427 Posts
Most people simply cannot be happy anymore, especially potential car buyers. It's a big reason why I couldn't wait to leave the auto sales business because I was tired of dealing with this incessant nonsense.
You would have been much happier as a salesman back in Henry Ford's "any color so long as it is black" days. >:)

·
Registered
492 Posts
yup, no floppy thigh support though.

and on Gen2 the driver seat is electric, and the passenger seat is manual.

so the conditions get better,....but the outback passenger is still in 2nd class compared to the driver.

In all the years of car shopping and buying across multiple brands- they always are.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse) 2016 Outback Limited (Daughter)
558 Posts
Kevin said:
I love this feature in the Ascent and it was at the top of my list of things I wanted on the 2020 Outback.
I've only had my Ascent for two days now, but being able to move that thigh extender "just a little" brought amazing effect relative to comfort. And I do mean only a little bit!

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited
53 Posts
Thigh extender is definitely what I need in my 2018 outback. Do you think that the seats from 2020 might be compatible with the seats in 2018? I wouldn't mind swapping the front seats, if that's possible, of course..

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse) 2016 Outback Limited (Daughter)
558 Posts
Thigh extender is definitely what I need in my 2018 outback. Do you think that the seats from 2020 might be compatible with the seats in 2018? I wouldn't mind swapping the front seats, if that's possible, of course..
Don't hold your breath on that...completely different platform.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited
53 Posts
I figured that might be the case. Any suggestions and\or recommendations on how to deal with the lack of thigh support? Not ready to trade the car in yet - only had it for a year and it would be a big financial hit if I did that..

·
Registered
558 Posts
I figured that might be the case. Any suggestions and\or recommendations on how to deal with the lack of thigh support? Not ready to trade the car in yet - only had it for a year and it would be a big financial hit if I did that..
That question would be best asked in the Gen 5 area...

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,702 Posts
It's not like Subaru changed all their suppliers. You wouldn't expect Subaru to do anything nonstandard because that adds cost. Relative to the giants, they're a low volume manufacturer. Unless there was something funky to plumb up the ventilated seats, it's hard to imagine Subaru would change the floor pan or how the seat rails attached.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The MY20 is built on a completely different platform from the bottom up...there should be no assumption that parts like seats will be identical in how they mount, etc., to the previous generation. That would be nice in this specific case, but...

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,296 Posts
The MY20 is built on a completely different platform from the bottom up...
Just because it's a seat made by what used to be called General Seating down in Frankfort does not mean that the mounting bolts will be in the same location. The new Global Platform is just that - new. So the weld studs for the Forester or Ascent would be more likely to match the 2020 Outback than a 2019 Outback. (I'm not saying they do, just that they might due to the similar platforms.)

·
Registered
558 Posts
That's right in line with my thoughts, Carl...the "details" of the MY20 seats may be quite different than the previous generation.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5i 2016 VW Passat SE
221 Posts
I hope some day my biggest worry in life is if my new car will have manual or powered thigh extenders on it. :) It really seems like a set it and forget it type of thing, so why would it need to be powered?
I will admit, the seats in my current '17 Outback and all previous Subarus (and other brands) have always been adequate for my legs, so maybe I'm missing something, but seems like a really trivial concern in my eyes.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited, 3.6R, Abyss Blue
195 Posts
I've stuck with Subaru for awhile now, always the upper trim level Foresters or as current an Outback. And I've always wanted just a tad bit more thigh support. The front of the seat just doesn't raise high enough. It's tolerable but I'm always wishing for just a little more behind the knees thigh support. Something like I can get in a Jeep Grand Cherokee or the upper trim level Santa Fe.

So when I read that the new 2020 Legacy and Outback upper trims would have a driver's seat thigh extender, I was like "Great!" And then I ran across this video of the interior of the 2020 Outback where the guy just grabs the seat extender and pulls it in and out. Like it's going to be manual and not electric like other vehicles that have this feature. Gimme a break Subaru!
It's at the 1:17 mark in the video. I'm thinking this can't be right? Subaru wouldn't make this feature manual? They're all about safety. Who wants to be driving and trying to adjust the extender manually.
thighmaster

·
Registered
111 Posts
We own a BMW 2 series as well as an X5 with the 20 way BMW comfort seats. The X5 has power thigh extenders, whereas the 2 series are manual. I have long thighs and find the extenders highly beneficial whether power or manual. Sure the power ones are nicer, but you can't even compare those two seats as the X5 seats are significantly larger and probably the most comfortable automobile seats I've ever experienced (the driver's seat even has a message feature), whereas the 2 seats are a bit smallish for me (6'2", 250 lbs.).

But I have to say the manual extenders on the 2 series do the job for me just fine, and I expect the MY20 OB thigh extenders would do the same.

Someone above mentioned power tilt/telescope steering wheels. I've now had them on 3 different cars, and candidly prefer manual adjustments. You might be surprised why. The power adjustments are OK, but I don't like how slow they are. I can make manual adjustments far more quickly.:)

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,507 Posts
I cannot say for certain but recalling a conversation I had with SOA a few years ago when I had a wacky customer that wanted to buy a new Crosstrek from me on the condition that she could have a driver's seat from an Outback I can say that it would cause a potential safety concern as well as potentially void your warranty SHOULD it be able to be done.

I have swapped seats from a 1995 Trans Am into a 1984 Thunderbird seamlessly, but I think seat rails and mounting points were near universal among the standard fare American brands 20-30 years ago. Now I don't think you may be able to do that with same brand vehicles just because of all the nuances with safety compliance.

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 (long gone)/'06 BMW 330 cic/2018 Outback Premium
23 Posts
My BMW has manual thigh extenders and manual telescoping adjustments for the steering wheel - and that car was well over 50 grand in 2006 when I bought it.

I just wish the Japanese automakers in this class would equip the same seat adjustments for passengers as for drivers.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts