Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know the depth in inches of the driver's seat in a Subaru Legacy or Subaru Outback with and without the thigh extender fully deployed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't seem to find whether or not the Startex seats feature the thigh extension that is standard on the Limited and Touring trims? Can anyone please confirm? I know it sounds silly, but if it doesn't, it's a deal breaker for me and I'll go with the Limited.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT Ice Silver Metallic
364 Posts
There is no thigh extension on the Onyx XT.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,251 Posts
Like scoobs said, there is no thigh extension on the Onyx. But coincidentally, I was thinking if it was possible to add one from the higher trim levels. Or how easy it is to add.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies, guys!
I test drove a Limited XT the other day and loved that feature.
For what it’s worth, I am tall with long legs—6’2” w/ 36” inseam. I’m not heavy, but not bone thin either—190lbs. I have the touring XT and while I used the thigh extension when I first got it, I found myself lot really liking it extended to the point that I never extend it anymore.

I will note that because of the pandemic I haven’t done long drives in 6 months and it is possible that I might use it more on a long drive.

That said, I do like the driver legroom and have no complaints.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring
215 Posts
For what it’s worth, I am tall with long legs—6’2” w/ 36” inseam. I’m not heavy, but not bone thin either—190lbs. I have the touring XT and while I used the thigh extension when I first got it, I found myself lot really liking it extended to the point that I never extend it anymore.

I will note that because of the pandemic I haven’t done long drives in 6 months and it is possible that I might use it more on a long drive.

I’m about the same height and I gotta say I miss it when I’m in other cars. Thigh extension + adaptive cruise control + lane centering is a dangerously sleepy combination. Hope the driver distraction mitigation really works lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FWIW, I recently got to drive a loaner 2020 Outback Premium which obviously does NOT have the thigh extenders. I still thought the seats were noticeably more comfortable than those in my '17 Legacy - the Outback had a bit more thigh support and bolstering as is.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
149 Posts
FWIW, I recently got to drive a loaner 2020 Outback Premium which obviously does NOT have the thigh extenders. I still thought the seats were noticeably more comfortable than those in my '17 Legacy - the Outback had a bit more thigh support and bolstering as is.
I get to drive many Subaru's from a number of the generations. When the 2020 Outback came out we were all over them learning about them as part of our training. For me being the "SENIOR" member of our Delivery team, I always look at the seats both front and rear. Gosh I LOVE the seats in the front of the new Outbacks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My biggest issue with the new seats are the additional two vertical stitch lines on the center bottom panel. Why did Subaru run two stitch lines directly under the driver's bottom?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Note that while the Onyx does not have the manual thigh extender, the bottom seat cushion of the StarTex appears to protrude out slightly more than the cloth seats do. It appears to be a fixed/permanent “half” extension, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
973 Posts

It really comes in handy with folks with long legs. My wife loves it she has long legs and a short torso. Me ,short legs long torso. If I extend it it hits me where my leg bends. No good.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,507 Posts

I have found this feature to be invaluable on long trips. For normal short trips I do not use it but if I know that I will be driving long distances over an extended period of time I pull that thing all the way out before I get in the car.

Back in the summer of 2019 I sustained an injury to my back and hips and the damage is permanent, it will never heal back into the condition I was in prior to the injury. This has caused me to have difficulty sitting for any extended period of time. My 2021 Outback is the only vehice I have found with seats that are not only supportive enough but also comfortable enough to where I can drive for extended periods of time without experiencing at times excruciating pain. The thigh extension is one of the main reasons at least for me.

·
Registered
2021 outback limited, Autumn Green
36 Posts
LIkewise if I'm not in the car more than half an hour, I don't use the extension, but longer driving it does add a bit more comfort. I think Subaru does a great job in designing the interior for comfort. Just another reason I think Subaru offers the most value for your dollars.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT
40 Posts
In my 2020 Outback Touring XT, I manually pulled out the thigh extender one time - on the day I took it home. It will stay that way until I sell it, hopefully many years from now.

In my 2018 Genesis G80, I pushed the button to extend the thigh extender exactly one time - in 2018.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
151 Posts
In my 2020 Outback Touring XT, I manually pulled out the thigh extender one time - on the day I took it home. It will stay that way until I sell it, hopefully many years from now.

In my 2018 Genesis G80, I pushed the button to extend the thigh extender exactly one time - in 2018.
Mine also lives in the extended position, even though I'm not tall or long legged (5'9.5"). I just find it more comfortable for both long and short drives.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Limited
52 Posts
I have found this feature to be invaluable on long trips. For normal short trips I do not use it but if I know that I will be driving long distances over an extended period of time I pull that thing all the way out before I get in the car.

Back in the summer of 2019 I sustained an injury to my back and hips and the damage is permanent, it will never heal back into the condition I was in prior to the injury. This has caused me to have difficulty sitting for any extended period of time. My 2021 Outback is the only vehice I have found with seats that are not only supportive enough but also comfortable enough to where I can drive for extended periods of time without experiencing at times excruciating pain. The thigh extension is one of the main reasons at least for me.
Similar experience, I had a near death accident in St. Thomas and herniated a disc, ended up with Neurosurgery and still have pain. Agreed with you on all aspects.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts