Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
pretty sure east penn/DEKA makes O'reilly's batteries. I've had 2 so far and they are excellent if a little pricey. Close to zero corrosion as they are well sealed/carefully vented it seems.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Posted this question in a Costco Battery thread.

For folks who purchased the Costco Interstate are you going with recommended Group 25 Fitment 6 or a different size like 34 for a gen 4 Outback?

What did you get and why ? Thanks for the information if there are any Costco interstate buyers who read this.

The Group 25 is CCA 640 and RC 100
The Group 34 is CCA 800 and RC 110

The poles on these two are the same R + and L -

·
Registered
840 Posts
I decided to go with the Walmart Maxx 24 battery. It's slightly over an inch longer but the same width and height as the OEM. The tray is even longer than that, terminals are in the right place, the wires have plenty of extra play, etc. If you want to keep the cozy on your battery (and I'm really not sure what it's purpose really is....), just cut the end panel and duct tape it out the extra inch to accommodate the Group 24 battery.

(...)

Why did I choose the 24 over the 34? I was looking for overall improvement with a balance of attributes. For instance, going from 490 CCA to either 700 (Group 24) or 800 (Group 34) is a 45% or 60% improvement in short term output - either is a hefty gain, and more than ample for starting a 2.5l engine! There's also an argument that higher CCA is accomplished by packing in more plates tighter together, and that may be an issue for dendrite shorts.

To me, total energy storage (relatable to Reserve Capacity) was the deciding factor. A small battery like the OEM Group 25 is likely to be rated around 90 minutes (tested with a 25 amp draw). The 34 was rated at 110 minutes, while the 24 was rated 130 minutes. That's 22% vs a 44% improvement. Those are important numbers for when your kid leaves the dome light on, or the car sits for a few weeks at the airport, etc. A higher reserve capacity means you can discharge it longer before getting to that critical 50% discharge rate - the point where some batteries can be damaged and not recover their full capacity.

There's also a construction factor. To recap: Maxx 34N: 800 CCA, 110 min, 10.2 L x 6.8 W x 7.9 H versus the Maxx 24: 700 CCA, 130 min, 10.2 L x 6.8 W x 8.9 H. All things being equal, a battery that is taller may have more 'silt' room at the bottom, and may be less likely to lose a cell due to plate shorts from crud accumulation.
I ended up with the EverStart Maxx 24 too. 2012 model, wife's daily driver. It was starting to get the tell-tale signs of a weak battery - slow crank. I put my Noco battery load tester to use, and sure enough, applying load it was solidly in the yellow zone for a ~500CCA battery (490 rounded up). So 5 years and 38k miles on the stock battery. Not great, also not horrible.

I got rid of the sleeve that came with the stock battery, it doesn't seem to do much - not significant enough to have any insulating properties.

So far, so good with the new battery. I feel a lot better about her having the extra oomph to start on cold days. The stock battery is surprisingly small for a "rugged winter vehicle" with the "cold weather package". Heck, my Corolla has a better stock battery :)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Glad to see my comments getting some air time! I'm very happy with the choice. It's been great this winter hearing a fast crank and quick ignition compared to what I was experiencing. Peace of mind is worth $100, and a little knowledge and research doesn't hurt either!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I put an EverStart Maxx 24 on my '12 Premium too. Fit fine and I wrapped the cover around it and secured the ends with tape. New battery = one less thing to worry about!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Costco 24F

Despite the slightly larger size that Subaru uses in the 3.6L vs. the 2.5L, I've had to jump start my OEM battery 4 times. The last straw was having it die at the tail end of a long weekend campout by listening to the radio for 15 minutes. If anyone has ever measured the current draw of a Limited in each of the ignition settings, I'd be curious to know the values.

Anyways, since its been dying from using the accessories while parked and starting in the cold hasn't been the problem, I was most interested in maximizing reserve capacity. Costco didn't have the type 24 battery, but did have the 24F with the terminals reversed, so that's what I bought. $90; $75 after returning my old battery for recycling.

Installation wasn't bad at all. The battery tray is large enough, and is so thin and flimsy that I would have tossed it if it hadn't fit. Its clearly for catching fluid drips and not structural or weight bearing. The height is the same, so the hold down bolts were also long enough. As others have posted, I had to unclip the wiring harness to allow the positive terminal to reach. The negative terminal runs across the top, but has enough slack that I should be able to pop the caps off to check the fluid level.

The first start was a long, long crank - like 20 seconds. For a bit, I thought I'd done something wrong. But then it fired, and all the starts after have been normal. So far so good - hopefully I get more than 3 lousy years from this one.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It always takes a long time to start the first time after you disconnect the battery. The power loss causes an ECU reset of learned values so it will fire off default maps until it relearns.

You can avoid this by plugging in one of those small batteries that plug into the cig lighter connector to keep enough power to avoid the reset when you disconnect the main battery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've read through this a few times now and am still a bit flummoxed. I live in Central Texas (read: hot as **** in the summer), but I do a bit of camping and plan to mount LEDs on my roof rack (in my old Forester, I'd put a lantern on the roof rack). So, if I live in a hot environment AND I could use the deep cycle feature from time to time, what might you more knowledgeable folks recommend? Thank you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We owned a fleet of cars and have a ski place in NH where temps can get below -20° F so I've had plenty of experience with batteries.

We buy AGM batteries for any vehicle we are keeping. There are now a number of brands, with the two most popular being Optima and Odyssey. I first used the Optima Red Top on my WRX because while higher capacity than OEM (720 CCA) , it is much lighter (for Outback 3.6 - 32 lbs). Optima also makes a Yellow Top that is designed for more sustained non-starting loads like stereo, power doors, etc.

But IMHO the cream of the crop is Odyssey. They weigh more (50 lbs), and cost close to $200, but they have higher voltage, can be drawn down deeper, and have 850 CCA.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/redtop-starting-battery

ODYSSEY battery - Extreme Batteries

We also have several jump packs. The slickest is the AntiGravity MicroStart, which weighs less than a pound. Amazing product, I often take it on motorcycle or boat trips.

MICRO-START POWER SUPPLY JUMP-STARTER ? by ANTIGRAVITY

But Lithium chemistry doesn't work well in extreme cold, so we also have a Clore JNC660, which weighs 18 lbs but has a special AGM battery that will start anything. It also has a 12V plug so you can use it to charge phones, or charge it in the car.

Jump Starters - 1700 Peak Amp Volt JNC660 | Call us at 1-800-328-2921 |Clore Automotive

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just bought a used 2010 OB 2.5i Limited with 140k miles. It looks like the battery was replaced a long time ago. I will head to WalMart soon to buy a Maxx24. I have not experienced any issues with the old battery yet, but I think it's a cheap investment to just replace it with a new one.Oh, it's free install, too! I never had any problems using this brand on my Honda Pilot and my 'ol boat; Toyota 4runner V8(285k miles) and Acura Mdx(now both gone, love 'em both).
Great info! I'm glad I found this forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm guessing the answer here is no but figured it was worth a shot. I bought my 2011 2.5i premium to replace an 03' Audi A4 that died on me. I had just bought a new battery for the Audi about 3-4mos before it died and I'm wondering if it would work in the OB. It's a Napa Legend 7548 (other sizes are DIN H6, EN LN3, BCI 48) and while I know it's longer than the regular OB battery I think it would fit into the space. The thing I'm wondering is this battery has an exterior vent - on the Audi there was a little plastic vent hose that plugged into it which the OB doesn't have. Would I be creating a potentially unsafe environment if I put it in (assuming it fit) or is there enough ventilation under the OB hood to not worry about it? Otherwise will pop it up on CL to try and recoup some of the cost.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm guessing the answer here is no but figured it was worth a shot. I bought my 2011 2.5i premium to replace an 03' Audi A4 that died on me. I had just bought a new battery for the Audi about 3-4mos before it died and I'm wondering if it would work in the OB. It's a Napa Legend 7548 (other sizes are DIN H6, EN LN3, BCI 48) and while I know it's longer than the regular OB battery I think it would fit into the space. The thing I'm wondering is this battery has an exterior vent - on the Audi there was a little plastic vent hose that plugged into it which the OB doesn't have. Would I be creating a potentially unsafe environment if I put it in (assuming it fit) or is there enough ventilation under the OB hood to not worry about it? Otherwise will pop it up on CL to try and recoup some of the cost.
There's enough ventilation under the hood of the Subaru so no vent hose is needed. Guessing your old Audi had the battery hidden in the trunk where it needed the hose for ventilation--like my previous BMW.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There's enough ventilation under the hood of the Subaru so no vent hose is needed. Guessing your old Audi had the battery hidden in the trunk where it needed the hose for ventilation--like my previous BMW.
Ok, maybe I'll give it a shot then. Surprisingly it was under the hood in the Audi. I'm thinking it was another over-engineered part of the car (one of thousands I came across working on it :) )

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone try Costco Kirkland group 34 on Outback 2010+? Or any comments about this battery?

The previous discussion said that group 34 can fit in without the cozy sheeve, so, the size seems not a problem. The Reserve Capacity is 105 mins, and CCA is 795 according to Costco.

I'd like to hear the comments on this battery. It is time to have a new one now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did anyone try Costco Kirkland group 34 on Outback 2010+? Or any comments about this battery?

The previous discussion said that group 34 can fit in without the cozy sheeve, so, the size seems not a problem. The Reserve Capacity is 105 mins, and CCA is 795 according to Costco.

I'd like to hear the comments on this battery. It is time to have a new one now.
I just picked up one of these to install in my 2012 2.5. Will update further once I have installed it.

Update: just installed it. Mine is labeled with an RC of 110 and CCA of 800, FWIW

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
When I got my new to me 2011 limited 2.5 with 126k miles, the original battery was shot.....quickly upgraded to a group 34 800 CCA ;). I had to shorten the hold down hooks but other than making that one mod it was a direct bolt in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been thinking about upgrading my battery soon. are there any ill effects upgrading to a larger battery?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just put an Everstart MAXX 24 in my 2014; OEM battery had 44 months on it and was cranking slow. Fits fine, ignore the "battery selector" on the Walmart web page, it wants you to put in a Everstart Plus 25, which costs the same as the MAXX 24 but has fewer amps, a shorter guarantee, and is not rated as well by Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I have been thinking about upgrading my battery soon. are there any ill effects upgrading to a larger battery?
I really cannot see any downside to a higher capacity battery.

Go from your Group 25 to a Group 24 or Group 34?

The Group 24 has the same width and height as the original, but is an inch longer. It has the largest interior volume so the plates are the same area as the original, they can be thicker and there can be more of them. This is what contributes to the superior Reserve Capacity of the Group 24. That's your long term stamina, and resistance to damage should you draw it down more.

By contrast, the Group 34 is also an inch longer, but gives up an inch in height, compromising plate area and/or silt capture volume at the bottom. Personally, I don't think the Group 34 represents good value when for roughly the same money you can fit a 24 in that spot. My tool of choice? The Walmart Everstart Maxx 24. Cheap, powerful and easy to find an open store should you need a replacement.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts
About this Discussion
138 Replies
72 Participants
cyberdog433
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing