Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I really cannot see any downside to a higher capacity battery.

Go from your Group 25 to a Group 24 or Group 34?
In my experience so far, everyone has an opinion/advice on batteries. But we all have to keep in mind that where a store is located can dictate the batteries they carry and the specs could be different between say Napa US and Napa Canada or any international store.

Here in Canada, Walmart doesn't seem to carry as much as in the US.
They have a 24F (poles are reversed), Reserve is 120 minutes and CCA of 725A.

I bought the group 34: reserve of 115 minutes, CCA of 800A.

When I called to see if they had any 34's, they really wanted to make sure I knew my stuff and wanted to search for the "right" battery. They don't carry OEM replacement. I said I wasn't interested in that shitty OEM battery, I am buying a 34: do you want my money? (that seemed to work better)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Agree, you won't go wrong with any of the proven replacements. But if you have the option available to you, the Group 24 offers a lot of benefits.

·
Registered
61 Posts
When the wife's finally took a doodoo a year ago, we have an interstate right next to the house so I had them search a maximum height unit and fit it in there. It was group 34R, it got rid of her cold slow crank which was nice. The long crank that randomly rear's its head is still there sadly. But the alternator engage RPM drop that used to shimmy the whole car is now down to a small stutter. Given she's got the big nav system, bose, and seat heaters/winter package on there, it was a current sucker and that stock battery lasted us about 4 years before needing to be replaced, it was time anyways.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well noticed today when changing my belt that the previous owner had upgraded the battery when he replaced it.

Its a Exide Nascar Extreme 65x

It does not have the jacket/sleeve but fits fine. Did not inspect to see if he trimmed/modified the lower tray. the upper hold down is not in the stepped area since this is wider? But its held in very solid.

And OEM spce is 490cca this bad boy is 750 cca. Unsure of age but its never givin me any issues even with the -14 to -26 mornings we have had.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I put in an Interstate Mega-Tron MT-34 in my 2012 Outback 3.6 in Feb 2016, as the OEM battery died quickly and with basically no warning. I had checked on the water levels after I bought the car in Oct 2015, added some periodically, as living in Georgia they evaporate off a lot in the summer.

Here we are in Dec 2017/Jan 2018, and the battery would barely start the car in very cold weather (I just moved to Michigan). Especially after it sat for a 5+ days, but even when it sat for 1-2 days when it was 0-10 deg F (even inside a garage at 25-35 deg F). Water levels fine, no noticeable issues with the battery.

Had it checked at an auto parts store, first came up good but then they said "sometimes they show good first, but then run it a second time they fail". The auto parts store charged it for 20-30 mins and then tested again and it failed, and they said it smelled kind of bad.

Next went to a local shop that is an Interstate dealer, they had to run their own tests/charge on it to verify, and it came back failed. Got a new MT-34 in it for $0 so that was bueno.

Only thing I had to do to install the 34 battery in the 3.6 car was move the little plastic push-nut/wire clamp, which mounts on the J-hook end for the side that faces the engine.

I have had good luck with Interstate Mega-Tron batteries over the years, particularly in a diesel truck (2 batteries) that really beats the snot out of batteries.

The Interstate MT-34 is listed with 700 CCA, 875 CA and Reserve Cap 120..... plenty of juice for one of these Subies.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I replaced the factory battery with the AutoCraft Platinum 34-AGM. It was a prefect fit too. It retails for $173.99 but a little sweet talking the CSR over the phone and she hooked me up with a $66.20 discount. So I basically got installed and out the door for $116.39 ! Most of the reviews on the battery were very good too.

CCA - 740
CA - 925
Reserve - 115

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought this Super Start Extreme, group 34 with 800 CCA for $141.99 at O'Reilly on Oct 2017 for my 2011 Outback 2.5. Hoping it will last 5 years. So far so good. This replaced the recommended group 25 battery. It had 550 CCA and it lasted less than 3 years. It was the same brand, Super Start Extreme.

The Group 34 battery has a plastic base about an inch high that you need to install so it is the same high as the group 25 that it replaced. It fitted like a glove. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I replaced the factory battery with the AutoCraft Platinum 34-AGM. It was a prefect fit too. It retails for $173.99 but a little sweet talking the CSR over the phone and she hooked me up with a $66.20 discount. So I basically got installed and out the door for $116.39 ! Most of the reviews on the battery were very good too.

CCA - 740
CA - 925
Reserve - 115
This is great news because there is an Advanced a block away from my house. My battery is starting to go and probably wont last another season. Time to replace!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Odyssey Extreme

Just installed my Odyssey Extreme PC-1400 in the 25 series. Terminal clamps were in rough shape from original battery off-gassing, lots of corrosion which took more time to clean them up.

Jesus, the starter sounds like it spins at such a higher speed as if to say "OK OK ENOUGH ALREADY, I'll start the engine"

I'll see how well it works in winter, but these batteries are so much better than the Optima batteries of today. The original or older Optima were well built and lasted forever. Now they move and changed ownership, I do not use Optima anymore.

The only downfall for Odyssey is PRICE $$$ You pay more, but you do get more.

I was thinking of going to 34 series, but it's just a 2013 Premium 2.5 with no extra items in it, I use it for work in the field which I drive ALOT. If I had a 3.6 loaded or more items in it, I'd go to the 34 series.

If you want a quality battery, look at Odessy. It costs more, but it sure is one **** of a battery!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a NAPA Premium Legend Group 24 battery for mine. It fit perfectly in the tray.
Any thoughts on this NAPA option? The numbers look decent. Couldn't locate a SEARS battery, and I'm not horribly fond of Walmart, but there is a NAPA right down the road.

Probably replacing the battery soon and want to make sure I'm getting something that will crank harder in the cold. I have a 2014 2.5 with the original battery that struggles below 30deg F

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out the Duralast Gold 25-DLG battery at AutoZone that is a much better battery than the OEM battery. It fits the 2013 Outback 2.5i and offers a 5 year warranty, 640 CCA and 800 Cranking Amps.
+1 to this. Just last week my wife's 2015 2.5i croaked and after calling around for batteries that have more than the stock battery's 460 cold cranking amps (CCA), installed this. Fit perfectly and has higher CCA, so hopefully will perform better in the winters here in Minnesota.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any thoughts on this NAPA option? The numbers look decent. Couldn't locate a SEARS battery, and I'm not horribly fond of Walmart, but there is a NAPA right down the road.

Probably replacing the battery soon and want to make sure I'm getting something that will crank harder in the cold. I have a 2014 2.5 with the original battery that struggles below 30deg F

NAPA presently has a 10% off online/reserve promotion on batteries.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Tell you what... I'm quite happy with the Oddesy Extreme battery. 850 CCA

It may not be a Group 34, but it sure works fine for me!

Sure it cost me more than other batteries, but then again, it's well made, has the CCA I need and no modification.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Regardless of what retailer has their name on the battery it probably comes from one of three manufacturers, the following is a quote from Consumer Reports, "Car Battery Brands. Most aftermarket car batteries sold in the U.S. are made by three companies that build them for retailers: Johnson Controls, which supplies more than half of the market; Exide; and East Penn." I have had good luck with Interstate Batteries (currently made by Exide) and sold by Costco and other retailers.

Your (non-AGM) battery will last a lot longer if you check and add distilled water every 6 months or so. I also clean corrosion from terminals and connectors as soon as I notice any building up.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts
About this Discussion
138 Replies
72 Participants
cyberdog433
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing