Subaru Outback Forums banner

141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
294 Posts
The people who write the "rules" for Walmart et al are not always knowledgeable of what they are writing about. I have had the same problem with Costco and tires, they refused to install one size larger on my Toyota even though the owners manual listed them as an option. They told me unless the sticker on the drivers door listed the size they couldn't install it. I found out later that it wasn't a Costco policy but a local store policy, Costco has an alternate size book that listed the tires I wanted but the local store didn't know about it. No problem I put a set of Les Schwab tires and they were just fine.

My Subaru group 25 died after 16 months, I took it to the dealer and they put in a new group 25 under warranty. The "old" battery was down about 2 Volts which indicates a dead cell. Mechanic at the dealer put his battery analyzer on it and it indicated the same thing. I carry a Tracklife Jump Starter so I am not worried about getting stranded.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also ended up putting a Group 34 AGM into my wife's car. I was able to successfully and repeatably get the car to drop the idle down to about 400rpm for a quick sec every time the alternator engaged before catching back up and even managed to kill it once or twice on the OEM battery which was 4 years old or so at that time. When my wife complained of a slow crank one winter I had the battery load tested and it was putting out low amps after just a sec or two of a full draw at room temp, but the little simple autozone tester said it was good.

Replaced it, and the alternator engagement shudder and low idle practically went away. It is still present but to VERY very minor degree.

I have never managed to fixed the occasional extended crank (10+ seconds) I have that occurs once a month or less, but otherwise, it was a great upgrade for the car IMO for the 2.5i with CVT AND all the electronics/entertainment crap in it.

·
Registered
2014 Outback Premium
5 Posts
Having read this terrific thread from start to finish, I decided it was time to swap out the original battery in the ‘14 2.5 before it dies on me, as it is showing the warning signs others have mentioned.
So I hauled my butt outta bed early, and drove to the Walmart to get a Group24 Ever Max.

The folks there refused to install it, because it is “Walmart Policy” not to install a different battery than what their electronic guide calls for ( the Type 25.). I bought the battery and brought it home, will install later today...

TBH, I half expected this to happen- I was afraid I’d get resistance ( no pun intended) for going against the book....!
I forgot to follow up- swapping the batteries was easy, thanks to all the good info here On tips and tricks.
I want to thank everyone for posting all the info here in this thread!

·
Registered
2012 ej253 6MT
11 Posts
This most certainly is a bit of a conundrum for battery replacement for 4th gen outbacks.
I read a few people in this thread mention their challenge finding one in calgary AB. I too am having this problem.
I don't have a costco membership and seemingly their options aren't that vast. Canadian trash seems to have a bare bones group 25. And the 24 and 24F are decent options as well which they have. 34 seems to dimensionally similar. And from my research the group 86 may be an option too with (LH/+) terminals top. 86 = L(9.1) W(6.8) H (8.0) , all other options for the 25 have better cca ratings and reserve. Subaru calgary has the same oem style for near 200$
My only issue with the upgrade in group is the fact I have the 2.5i premium w the battery warmer jacket that plugs in. Wondering if the dimensions are off with an upgraded batt and dimension if the battery warmer can either defy the laws of physics and stretch over , OR be modified slightly to fit and still not ruin the electrics of the jacket?
Keep boxing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This most certainly is a bit of a conundrum for battery replacement for 4th gen outbacks.
I read a few people in this thread mention their challenge finding one in calgary AB. I too am having this problem.
I don't have a costco membership and seemingly their options aren't that vast. Canadian trash seems to have a bare bones group 25. And the 24 and 24F are decent options as well which they have. 34 seems to dimensionally similar. And from my research the group 86 may be an option too with (LH/+) terminals top. 86 = L(9.1) W(6.8) H (8.0) , all other options for the 25 have better cca ratings and reserve. Subaru calgary has the same oem style for near 200$
My only issue with the upgrade in group is the fact I have the 2.5i premium w the battery warmer jacket that plugs in. Wondering if the dimensions are off with an upgraded batt and dimension if the battery warmer can either defy the laws of physics and stretch over , OR be modified slightly to fit and still not ruin the electrics of the jacket?
Keep boxing.
I live in Toronto and have a 2012 2.5i limited. I still had the OEM battery (Johnson Controls) so quite happy it lasted 7 yrs. My wife drives the car so she’s mentioned the car hasn’t been starting too well lately as the past week temperatures dipped to -15 degrees. The battery still tested with 350 CCA but didn’t want to risk my wife being stranded. I changed the battery a few days ago with the Everstart Maxx-34N. It’s a group 34 with 800 CCA. I’m satisfied with this battery and any issues there is literally a Walmart anywhere. If whatever reason your battery dies within the warranty period, you can also replace this in the States if you were visiting there.

·
Registered
06 3.0R OBW, 09 WRX, 14 OBW 3.6R
73 Posts
We have a 2006 Sprinter which are often converted to campers. Despite having a giant battery (diesels are hard to start) most owners put an auxiliary battery in, with an isolator. Both batteries charge with the engine running, but with engine off the loads are switched to the “house” battery.

·
Registered
06 3.0R OBW, 09 WRX, 14 OBW 3.6R
73 Posts
FYI NAPA AGM and other batteries are manufactured by East Penn, considered a higher quality manufacturer than Johnson Controls, (who makes most of the battery brands in the US), Excide, etc.

·
Registered
2012 ej253 6MT
11 Posts
I live in Toronto and have a 2012 2.5i limited. I still had the OEM battery (Johnson Controls) so quite happy it lasted 7 yrs. My wife drives the car so she’s mentioned the car hasn’t been starting too well lately as the past week temperatures dipped to -15 degrees. The battery still tested with 350 CCA but didn’t want to risk my wife being stranded. I changed the battery a few days ago with the Everstart Maxx-34N. It’s a group 34 with 800 CCA. I’m satisfied with this battery and any issues there is literally a Walmart anywhere. If whatever reason your battery dies within the warranty period, you can also replace this in the States if you were visiting there.
Just noticed this post,
Yeah I also have the '12 (2.5iprem) 6mt ... I just turned 54Kmiles
My battery last winter had given me a few moments of tough starts on very cold days, also died from 30 mins of radio play. That was it for me, but was glad to get 7 years also from this oem group 25.
I replaced it last month with the exact same walmart group 34. 800cca and 120 reserve capacity. 5 yr warranty. And the battery warmer (plug in ) actually was really big and overlaps.
Happy with this new battery upgrade.
Keep Boxing !

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i CVT AWP
63 Posts
Keep boxing.

I replaced my 6 year old OEM Group 25 battery with a Group 34 Flat Plate AGM made by East Penn. The OEM battery jacket fits it just fine. The Flat Plate AGM offers better resistance to cold and heat and more CCA than a standard lead acid and is supposed to last twice as long.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,280 Posts
^ same here my outback as a Johnson Controls Champion AGM battery, starts the car just fine... even when it is very cold outside. it is the stock size and amperage..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put a group34 750+/- CCA in my '13 Outback. That's about 50% increase over the stock group 25 490CCA. Had to ditch the insulation jacket (for heat protection) that was too small for the new battery, and used a riser that came with it so the stock clamp bracket would work(new battery is lower than the original). Installer powered the memory thru the OBD plug which blew a fuse (#13) causing the warning lights to flash. Found the cure for that right here on this site. Took 10 mins to fix. Dealer wanted big $ to "diagnose". Shmucks!

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,231 Posts
The Group 25 died 36 months and 22 days after purchase. Grrr...
I replaced it this time with a Group 24 (AZ was willing to apply the paltry credit towards the upgrade).
It is a perfect fit. No spacer or any modifications needed. More CCA, more reserve capacity.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,280 Posts
I use East Penn Manufacturing to source my batteries

Dekka
Napa Gold Legend

The longest one lasted 8 years from 2008 to 2016 in my 02 CL type S
the runner up with the 2003 Legacy with a Dekka in it at 6 years
in last place we have the 2014 Legacy with 2 years on a Napa Legend.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Premium
67 Posts
AGM guy here. last one did 6 years no babysitting the battery. I usually find a deal, last time paid an extra 40$ over the fill type with zero mx is worth it to me. Also drops right in installs in 5 minutes and is lighter.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i CVT AWP
63 Posts
FYI NAPA AGM and other batteries are manufactured by East Penn, considered a higher quality manufacturer than Johnson Controls, (who makes most of the battery brands in the US), Excide, etc.
The batteries sold at Autozone are also made by East Penn.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Our 2013 had been getting vastly reduced use over the past 2 years with our other car taking most of its activity. Now, with the pandemic further reducing the disuse, the battery has died twice on us, the second time getting so low that my portable jumpstarter didn't have the juice to kick it off.

I've plugged in a NOCO GENIUS2 and it's been charging for about 48 hours, and still on the 1-bar of charge. I figure this battery is probably dead, but given how infrequently the Outback moves, I should:
  1. get an AGM battery
  2. consider getting harness for my NOCO to plug it in easily.
Based on what I'm reading above, I think this battery would work. https://smile.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8014-045-YellowTop-Purpose/dp/B000MSBUA4

Optima YellowTop 8014-045 D34/78

Am I right?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
848 Posts
I replaced the dying factory battery in my 2013 3.6R with a Champion AGM battery on sale at Pep Boys last August. It was a significant improvement and carries a full-replacement 4-year warranty.

But whatever you decide to do, make a sustained commitment to drive the vehicle on a regular basis. That is the absolute best way to keep the vehicle in proper working order, including the battery.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Once this thing gets moving, it's getting an AGM. Maybe I'll be able to drive to Napa or Pep Boys to get something once it starts moving again.

But whatever you decide to do, make a sustained commitment to drive the vehicle on a regular basis. That is the absolute best way to keep the vehicle in proper working order, including the battery.
But the other car is so much better 99% of the time, and our cars move around once every two weeks these days. I thought I loved the Subaru, but apparently that is fleeting. The Outback is the last gasoline-powered car I will ever own.

Maybe we should just sell it.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
848 Posts
If you are just not going to drive it regularly and no longer like it, then yes, I would sell it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are just not going to drive it regularly and no longer like it, then yes, I would sell it.
In the pre-COVID world, I was using a tank of gas every 10-12 weeks and driving it once every couple weeks. In today's world, it's moved twice since March, and one of those was just "I know I need to run this thing every so often." I don't anticipate it moving much for the coming year. It still has some utility and it's paid off. I like it, but it's a far cry from how I used to feel about it. Sorry to change topics. I'm going to see about an AGM and permanently mounting a charger.

141 - 160 of 172 Posts