Subaru Outback Forums banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
The local Pep Boys has a Champion-brand AGM battery in stock that's group 25. Is there any reason why I shouldn't get that? Champion AGM Battery, Group Size 25 | 2071655 | Pep Boys

There's also an Optima RedTop 25 for $80 more. What would I be getting for the price difference?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
848 Posts
I installed that same Champion AGM battery in my 2013 3.6R last August. Bought it on sale at my local Pep Boys for $147. 4-year full-replacement warranty. It has performed exactly as designed thus far.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
61 Posts
Just installed an EverStart Maxx size 24f from Walmart in my 2010 Outback yesterday. Fits just fine. I would opt for the one with the reversed poles however, as the battery is quite difficult to reach with the terminals. I believe this is the largest that will fit in a gen 4 Outback. May be wrong, though.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
61 Posts
That would be a group 24 vice a 24F.
Technically correct, though a 24F is slightly larger in length and height than the 24. I was, however, unaware that the direct reverse of the 24 is the 24F (or 24R). Thanks for the info. Nonetheless, I was able to make the 24F work in mine. As far as I know, it should be the largest battery available that will fit (at least when keeping the battery tray).

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
498 Posts
That's a pretty good deal for the Champion AGM size 24. Wish I had the money right now. I have an Optima yellow top that's not even 4 years old, but it got neglected by sitting in a car unused for nearly a year so it's not too healthy at this point.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Went to get a new battery at Napa, they were trying to tell me that putting a AGM battery in a car that was not factory with one would cause issues.

Has anyone had issues with switching to AGM?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
848 Posts
I installed a Champion AGM battery purchased on sale at Pep Boys last August. No issues whatsoever and all the electrical functions (such as the window operation) are crisper and faster. Those NAPA employees need some battery educational training.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I installed a Champion AGM battery purchased on sale at Pep Boys last August. No issues whatsoever and all the electrical functions (such as the window operation) are crisper and faster. Those NAPA employees need some battery educational training.
That's what I thought, I could see potential issues if I dropped it in my 30 year old Ford maybe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is relevant although I'm unsure it can be shipped cause China but I installed a Kepworth 60ah LiFePO4 1100cca in my Forester. I run a diode to increase voltage by +0.5. Running the previous battery my voltage fluctuated between 12.3-15.2. The Kepworth keeps my voltage between 13.2-14.6. Tighter voltage!
Edit: the Kepworth only weighs 7lbs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ended up with the Champion AGM I mentioned above. It's been fine for a few weeks.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts