Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring / 2019 Tesla M3
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I just replaced the halogens on our Gen4 with some H7 - PHILLIPS 6000K X-treme Ultinon 12985BWX2 LED Headlight Bulbs.

I had previously put a no-name brand in, which had worked, but I had to remove the rear covers on the low beam light housing. This caused me issues when taking the car to a car wash, due to all of the misting; the housings would fog up and that's not good.

Obviously, they are huge PITA to install... so I took off the front bumper cover and removed the headlight assemblies to do it.

What was a total shock was that the LED H7 by Phillips actual FIT inside the housing AND the covers could be put back in.

The wires and a VERY small transformer fit in the headlight assembly without issue.

If you are handy, I recommend this.

The beam pattern is perfect.

I've also put Phillips H11 LED bulbs in the fog lights, and between the two of them you effective get a usable HID like view out of the front of the Outback. (Aside from the stereo on my 2013 3.6R Limited, the headlamps were the one thing that was always subpart.)

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Ultinon-Bulbs-6200K-11366ULWX2/dp/B07BFC1197?pf_rd_p=5cc0ab18-ad5f-41cb-89ad-d43149f4e286&pd_rd_wg=qSelc&pf_rd_r=P8ZN23RHD2CWMQX7QRW8&ref_=pd_gw_wish&pd_rd_w=I9yw6&pd_rd_r=d7352979-25e7-4ea0-8fa5-819c9894e605

https://www.hidconcept.com/collections/h7/products/h7-philips-6000k-x-treme-ultinon-12985bwx2-led-headlight-bulbs

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
31 Posts
I've been having issues with my TRS Hid kit and have been considering getting LED's instead, happen to have a photo of the beam pattern?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Folks,

I just replaced the halogens on our Gen4 with some H7 - PHILLIPS 6000K X-treme Ultinon 12985BWX2 LED Headlight Bulbs.
The link goes to Amazon and shows Philips Ultinon H8 / H11 / H16 are these the same as an H7 lamp? Are there any subtle differences from the original H7 halogens that should be noted or that need to be worked around? Glad the dust cover fits back on. Thx

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
959 Posts
I thought about LED but understanding something about heat dissipation and brightness, I decided to go with HID kit in my Legacy. The performance of Miromoto is second to none...I will be ordering up a new Miromoto kit for my 2010 Outback here shortly. Pair them with some Ford 2015 mustang LED fogs and awesome sauce indeed

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the interesting thing was that the Phillips bulbs actually fit inside the dust covers for the gen 4 lamps...

To ensure that there was actually decent enough ventilation, I took a holesaw and put a 1 inch hole in the center of each of the covers.

I did not notice any condensation or any issues at all going through car washes by doing this.

Between that and using the Phillips led fog lights, The beam pattern is perfect on both and doesn’t blind on coming drivers, but it does make a significant difference in the amount of light.

it’s just a significantly better solution than what came with the car, well not being illegal.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been having issues with my TRS Hid kit and have been considering getting LED's instead, happen to have a photo of the beam pattern?
it is exactly the same as the halogens, except you can clearly see down the road.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here are some other pricing options for similar low-beam Philips LED:

$170.13

$178.99

$184.99

$199.95

1 - 8 of 8 Posts