Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Would like to hear from the Subaru Outback Gen4 (MY14) owners on how often they have to replace the Low beam headlights. Apparently there are lots of compliants in the US. I recently bought a 2nd hand OB. It's <3 months old and the low beam on the RHS is already blown. Replacing it is a nightmare to say the least as one has to either pull out the Headlamp or do it from the back from the wheel well. :(. Not a happy chappy. Bad design!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agree. BAD design. I wonder how Subaru management approved this design.. hope they still have their jobs. It's ridiculous that we need to spend hours to replace a light bulb.. 😂😂

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,988 Posts
It doesn't matter much what the Gen 4 models were shipped with - most have had their low beams changed at least once, and it's pointless to ask how long the bulbs last - much depends on which bulb type was used as a replacement.

You can't do much about the Gen 4 low beam change procedure, except trade the car.

You can do something about the bulb type that is replaced - as suggested, the "LL" suffix tacked onto the bulb type usually means "longer life". And though the manufacturers don't say so, the terms "ultra bright" "xxx% more light", "_____vision", etc. are another type of clue - they usually mean "shorter life".

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i
8 Posts
My 2014 Outback with 70K miles still has the original bulbs. Agree with the above posts about the trade-off between longer life and more light. The difference in brightness is not worth it. Brighter light generates more heat which prematurely kills the bulb.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
947 Posts
I replaced the bulbs over 4 years ago with standard halogens. I don't use the auto headlamp feature and don't drive around a lot at nighttime and they are still going.

btw, here in the USA, we are offered reimbursement for bulb replacement by Subaru. You may or may not have it wherever you are if you are not required to use US DOT spec bulbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts