Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Outback (White 3.6 Ltd.)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm doing a study for my Ph.D on opinions about recent automobile purchases. I would really appreciate your help with a very short questionnaire related to your purchase of a Subaru. (For more information on this study, who I am, and how to reach me, please see information at the end of this post). If you would like to participate, please post your response to the following six questions:

1- Do you currently own a Subaru?

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru? (answer this question only if you currently own a Subaru)

3- Approximately how many months will it be until you purchase your next automobile?

4- How many Subaru's have you personally owned? _____

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? (Please indicate whether answer is in miles or kilometres)

6- Please indicate your current level of agreement with each of the following three statements by adding a numerical agreement rating after each (from 1= strongly disagree to 7= strongly agree - please refer to rating scale that follows).

Statements:

A. I think that Subaru was the right choice...
B. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase of a Subaru...
C. I believe that Subaru is sometimes unable to meet my expectations...

Scale
1= Strongly disagree
2= Disagree
3= Somewhat disagree
4= Neither disagree nor agree
5= Somewhat agree
6= Agree
7= Strongly agree

I welcome any comments you might like to add about your responses. I am comparing data for a few different car brands and I will come back and post some summary results soon. Also, if you change your mind and do not wish your response to be included after you have posted, just delete your post within two weeks and I will remove you from the analysis.

Thanks very much for your help!

Primary researcher: Paul Curwen (289-253-7008) ([email protected]) (Sprott School of Business, Carleton University, Ontario, Canada).
Research supervisor: Dr. Louise Heslop ([email protected])(Sprott School of Business, Carleton University, Ontario, Canada).
The ethics protocol for this research study (#108814) has been reviewed and cleared to proceed by the Carleton University Research Ethics Board. CUREB-A. If you have any ethical concerns with the study, please contact Dr. Andy Adler, Chair, Carleton University Research Ethics Board-A (by phone at 613-520-2600 ext. 2517) or via email at [email protected].

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
1. Yes

2. 22 months

3. Barring a total loss will be my last vehicle.

4. Three

5. 7500 miles

A. 7 Absolutely the right choice.
B. 7 Nothing but smiles
C. 1 I'm sounding a bit like a fanboy.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks very much for your help!

you posted this in the 2015-present section.

did you intend it to be for all members? or just people with new/ newish subaru cars?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
A. I wonder if Subaru was the right choice...
Scale
1= Strongly disagree
2= Disagree
3= Somewhat disagree
5= Somewhat agree
6= Agree
7= Strongly agree
Comment: The wording of question 6.A is logically ambiguous and may not produce consistent results. I would hope that your advisor has already pointed this out to you.

Assume that I am 100% satisfied with my Subaru. I could answer 6.A either:
1 => I [do not] wonder ...
or
7 => ... Subaru was the right choice

Reactions: OBnube

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,212 Posts

·
Registered
Outback (White 3.6 Ltd.)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ammcinnis,

I see your point. The question is pulled from the literature but the wording is pretty clunky. The assumption is that if you need to wonder, then you are less certain and if don't feel the need to wonder, you are more sure you made the right choice. To avoid the ambiguity, I have adjusted the question to be more straightforward.

thanks again for the feedback

·
Registered
Outback (White 3.6 Ltd.)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Eagleeye,

A couple of weeks would be great if that is ok. Is there anyway I could keep this in view for the two weeks so that lots of members see it? Thanks.
Also, happy to discuss the research in more detail if you wish

thanks

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,212 Posts

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
The question is pulled from the literature ...
I don't doubt that. In my limited experience, psychological inventories seem particularly prone to this kind of logical error. I remember once reviewing a multiple-choice personality inventory that included a question for which there were two equally valid but mutually exclusive answer choices. I pointed this out to the lead experimenter, who agreed with me but still defended the survey with the argument, "... but these questions have already been validated."

I have adjusted the question to be more straightforward.
Much better, IMO. Another possibility, which is logically consistent but preserves the sense of uncertainty, might be:

"I wonder if Subaru was the wrong choice...."

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Limited Outback
8 Posts
1- Do you currently own a Subaru? Yes

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru? (answer this question only if you currently own a Subaru) 2 Months

3- Approximately how many months will it be until you purchase your next automobile? 30 months

4- How many Subaru's have you personally owned? 1

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? (Please indicate whether answer is in miles or kilometres) 35,000 miles

Statements:

A. I think that Subaru was the right choice- 7
B. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase of a Subaru- 7
C. I believe that Subaru is sometimes unable to meet my expectations- 2

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
1- Yes (currently two of them)
2- 26 months (most recent purchase)
3- Lifetime (We expect the vehicle's lifetime to exceed mine.) ... say 180+ months or 200,000+ miles
4- Two
5- 10,000-12,000 miles per year (per vehicle)
6-A. = 7 (i.e. right choice)
6-B. = 7 (i.e. satisfied)
6-C. = 2 (i.e. generally meets or exceeds expectations)

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
1- Yes

2- 4 months

3- likely 120+ months

4- 6

5- below 8000 Km

6- A. 7
B. 6
C. 3

Good luck on your project. My kid graduated from Carleton U, so I'm happy to help.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,212 Posts
Hello Eagleeye,

A couple of weeks would be great if that is ok. Is there anyway I could keep this in view for the two weeks so that lots of members see it? Thanks.
Also, happy to discuss the research in more detail if you wish

thanks
I would also post up on legacygt.com (plenty of 2015-present FB25B and EZ36 legacy / outback over there).

here is the similar section:

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/sixth-generation-legacy-2015-137.html

incidentally our outback forum is the only one that would call the present day outbacks Gen5.
as it does not count the 1990-94 legacy, like all the other ones.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2015 3.6R Outback
589 Posts
Survey responses

1- Do you currently own a Subaru? YES

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru? (answer this question only if you currently own a Subaru) 38

3- Approximately how many months will it be until you purchase your next automobile? 24

4- How many Subaru's have you personally owned? __1___

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? (Please indicate whether answer is in miles or kilometres) 13,500 MILES

6- Please indicate your current level of agreement with each of the following three statements by adding a numerical agreement rating after each (from 1= strongly disagree to 7= strongly agree - please refer to rating scale that follows).

Statements:

A. I think that Subaru was the right choice... 7
B. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase of a Subaru... 7
C. I believe that Subaru is sometimes unable to meet my expectations... 2

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight - Lapis Blue Pearl
69 Posts
1- Do you currently own a Subaru?
Yes

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru? (answer this question only if you currently own a Subaru)

3- Approximately how many months will it be until you purchase your next automobile?
180 (hopefully)

4- How many Subaru's have you personally owned? _____

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? (Please indicate whether answer is in miles or kilometres)

Statements:

A. I think that Subaru was the right choice...
B. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase of a Subaru...
C. I believe that Subaru is sometimes unable to meet my expectations...

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,298 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm doing a study for my Ph.D on opinions about recent automobile purchases.
Paul,

I appreciate you coming here for help however I do have some questions about the research you're doing:

What is your dissertation?

Are you asking other brands on similar boards?

Finally, do you feel that coming to a Subaru enthusiasts section of the internet and asking their opinions of Subaru could skew the results of your data?

You're welcome to message me in PM if you would rather discuss there.

Either way, I'll help you.

1 Yes
2 20
3 1
4 10+
5 35k Miles

A 7
B 7
C 1

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
56 Posts
1- Do you currently own a Subaru? Yes

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru? (answer this question only if you currently own a Subaru)5.5

3- Approximately how many months will it be until you purchase your next automobile? Hopefully 120+

4- How many Subaru's have you personally owned? __4___

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? 6500 miles

Statements:

A. I think that Subaru was the right choice... 7
B. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase of a Subaru... 7
C. I believe that Subaru is sometimes unable to meet my expectations... 6

Scale
1= Strongly disagree
2= Disagree
3= Somewhat disagree
5= Somewhat agree
6= Agree
7= Strongly agree

·
Registered
Outback (White 3.6 Ltd.)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No question...I have learned that the dissertation is not the place to stray too far from the literature- if you ever want to finish.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.