Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 994 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the OEM lame battery with a better one?

Was doing some work on our 3.6 and after 2 hours with the dome lights on (yes, my fault for not shutting off) a dead battery quickly ensued. While charging I saw it had all of 490 CCA, which to me says it may be weak and underpowered. Just replaced battery in my older Legacy with whatever Sears unit Consumers liked. Something like 700 CCA and, I perhaps wrongly assume, has more capacity. About $100. The battery tray has ample room it would seem.

Anyone dump the factory battery for a bigger and, I hope,, better one? If so, why? What did you get?

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you do a search here, there's a ton of posts about dead batteries. Search for "dead battery" or see this huge post about it.

I bought my Outback last week and on Monday I replaced the battery with an Optima Red Top 25. Did the replacement at Autozone. As bad as the battery is for the 6 cylinder, it is even worse for the 4 cylinder (just 365 CCA).

More Info about Optima Red Top 25 at Amazon

As for why, the stock battery - despite being new - barely started the car when the headlights were in "auto." And this is in a semi-heated garage. Didn't take a genius to figure out that starting in cold weather was gonna be iffy, at best. Plus, I didn't want to worry about having a dead battery in the remote locations I like to visit.

New battery = one less problem at inopportune times to worry about.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Is there anything special that needs to be done after replacing a battery like radio codes, etc.?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is there anything special that needs to be done after replacing a battery like radio codes, etc.?
Nope. You might lose your saved stations, but that's about it.

Yes, replaced 2 days after we bought ours. Has 800 CCAs I believe.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
608 Posts
I did not loose radio presets but you I did need to reset the diver & passenger auto window. Very simple. You just manually raise halfway then back down then all the way up. Something like like. Smart move to put in a good battery. I also use a group 34 800 CCA.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Dumped my OEM 356 CCA battery for a Group 34 Optima Yellow Top with 750 CCA. Around $200 right now at Amazon, but they periodically go on sale for around $180.

https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8014-045-YellowTop-Purpose/dp/B000MSBUA4/

Just be forewarned, some of the Amazon distribution centers don't have a clue about how to properly pack a battery for shipment. My first battery from them arrived dented due to poor packaging. The bright side was they sent me a second battery and didn't ask for the first battery in return. That slightly dented battery works great in my Dad's workshop attached to a solar panel.

·
Registered
565 Posts
OEM battery is working just fine for me, so no, i will not replace it until it stops doing what it's designed to do. I also dome leave the battery on for extended periods of time without the car running. Seems like common sense instead of blaming the battery. I've never had to replace the stock battery on any of the three new Subarus I've bought in the past until many, many miles down the line until it was required. No sense in wasting your money on something that's working just fine now. Sounds more like user error to me, but hey, if you've got money to burn, y all means go for it! I also have been in the habit of turning off the heater/AC/fan and heated seats before shutting the vehicle off in previous vehicles I've owned. Battery seems fine so far in the OB.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dumped my OEM 356 CCA battery for a Group 34 Optima Yellow Top with 750 CCA. Around $200 right now at Amazon, but they periodically go on sale for around $180.

https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8014-045-YellowTop-Purpose/dp/B000MSBUA4/

Just be forewarned, some of the Amazon distribution centers don't have a clue about how to properly pack a battery for shipment. My first battery from them arrived dented due to poor packaging. The bright side was they sent me a second battery and didn't ask for the first battery in return. That slightly dented battery works great in my Dad's workshop attached to a solar panel.
When I went to the link in Amazon and entered auto info, there was an indication that this battery didn't fit. Same on the Optima website. Is this battery small/large?

·
Registered
608 Posts
When I went to the link in Amazon and entered auto info, there was an indication that this battery didn't fit. Same on the Optima website. Is this battery small/large?
Group 34 will fit fine even though it is not the OEM size.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently changed mine out (2015 - 2.5L). I had to go to autozone and just got the Duralast Gold (I think it is 525 CCA), but I was in a bind. Wife is pregnant and the car had been consistently not starting recently. She'd start, drive 20 minutes home, park it in the garage, and then it wouldn't start. And it always felt like it was struggling to start. Took it to the dealer, and they tested it, and said everything is fine and we must have left something on.

We double checked and we weren't leaving anything on. After getting stranded once, you start paying better attention to that. Overall, it died about 5 times while still testing OK.

That battery is junk.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm going to wing it with mine (2.5). Maybe it will fail in the 3 year warranty period and get dealer replaced with the 3.6 battery they stock for replacements (urban legend). After that, I guess I'll still wing it. :)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
OEM, 2 years, 30k miles, extreme heat and cold, never a hesitation. It's even hard wired to my outlets so it can power a portable XM receiver (40 hours a week with the car off while I'm at work). Not so lame in my book, but I will upsize a bit when it comes time to replace it.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
OEM, 2 years, 30k miles, extreme heat and cold, never a hesitation. It's even hard wired to my outlets so it can power a portable XM receiver (40 hours a week with the car off while I'm at work). Not so lame in my book, but I will upsize a bit when it comes time to replace it.
Your 3.6 has the larger battery.

1 - 20 of 994 Posts
About this Discussion
993 Replies
218 Participants
ammcinnis
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing