Subaru Outback Forums banner

921 - 940 of 1000 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have had our 17 Outback 3.6 Touring (20K miles) since September 2016 with the original battery. The vehicle is garaged (Philadelphia PA) and I replaced interior and license plat bulbs with LED's. I did buy a Lithium Ion jumper battery to carry but never used. If it makes through this winter I may replace it next Spring to play it safe.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Has anyone replaced the OEM lame battery with a better one?

Was doing some work on our 3.6 and after 2 hours with the dome lights on (yes, my fault for not shutting off) a dead battery quickly ensued. While charging I saw it had all of 490 CCA, which to me says it may be weak and underpowered. Just replaced battery in my older Legacy with whatever Sears unit Consumers liked. Something like 700 CCA and, I perhaps wrongly assume, has more capacity. About $100. The battery tray has ample room it would seem.

Anyone dump the factory battery for a bigger and, I hope,, better one? If so, why? What did you get?
After 2 failed OEM batteries in less than 60K. I just replaced Oem with a Yellow top Optima D34-78 @ a cost of $264.99 at Auto Zone. I chose the yellow top due to using Outback for car camping as rear power hatch mostly open , radio on and puddle lights annoying and on a lot.

·
Registered
987 Posts
For those that have replaced their group 25 battery with a group 24 battery, was there any issue with the tie-down bar/strap fitting between the battery's vent caps?
The Group 24 is exactly as high and wide as the 25, it is only longer. You have to tug on the negative cable to add a fraction of an inch for it to reach. I had no trouble centering the battery on the tie-down bracket.

·
Registered
987 Posts
No, the cheap plastic "heat shield" is the only thing that won't fit, although you can just cut it and wrap it around the engine-facing sides if you like.
I don't think that thing is a heat shield. A common (oh, 1:100,000) wet lead-acid battery failure mode is for the case to crack or explode. Sprays acid everywhere. Its a mess. Even a flimsy plastic shield does a good job of lessening the mess.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Has anyone replaced the OEM lame battery with a better one?

Was doing some work on our 3.6 and after 2 hours with the dome lights on (yes, my fault for not shutting off) a dead battery quickly ensued. While charging I saw it had all of 490 CCA, which to me says it may be weak and underpowered. Just replaced battery in my older Legacy with whatever Sears unit Consumers liked. Something like 700 CCA and, I perhaps wrongly assume, has more capacity. About $100. The battery tray has ample room it would seem.

Anyone dump the factory battery for a bigger and, I hope,, better one? If so, why? What did you get?
Absolutely. The factory Or Subaru ones are crap for my 3.6R. Go Red Dot with 720 cranking amps (Advanced Auto, $140~).

My Subaru battery did two things: just enough to crank over engine but was Russian roulette and anytime I left door or was inside very long it ran the battery down.

Red Dot cranks over great with none of the issues with Subaru battery.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Absolutely. The factory Or Subaru ones are crap for my 3.6R. Go Red Dot with 720 cranking amps (Advanced Auto, $140~).

My Subaru battery did two things: just enough to crank over engine but was Russian roulette and anytime I left door or was inside very long it ran the battery down.

Red Dot cranks over great with none of the issues with Subaru battery.
Red Dot must be something new. I've never heard of that model before.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Red Dot must be something new. I've never heard of that model before.
There is actually a yellow dot as well. Again, much stronger (red dot) cranking amps vs the OEM Subaru battery. Don’t waste your money on the Subie battery. Apologies the battery is $200 but I used discount online to help lower price. I booked mine online then picked up at local store. See below link and check your local store.

PS- Advance Auto will install battery at store for free...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Two years, going on third. Zero issues with the original 356 CCA battery on our 2017 2.5i. Do have the NOCO GB40 just in case. Also have plans to replace some interior lamps with LEDs. For reference, I have Yuasa YUAM732HL batteries with 500 CCA in a Subaru generator and JD LX178 tractor.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Two years, going on third. Zero issues with the original 356 CCA battery on our 2017 2.5i. Do have the NOCO GB40 just in case. Also have plans to replace some interior lamps with LEDs. For reference, I have Yuasa YUAM732HL batteries with 500 CCA in a Subaru generator and JD LX178 tractor.
Minor clarification, though the Yuasa is 500 CCA, it is only 32AH. Separately, how do you edit posts on this new layout?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
There is actually a yellow dot as well. Again, much stronger (red dot) cranking amps vs the OEM Subaru battery. Don’t waste your money on the Subie battery. Apologies the battery is $200 but I used discount online to help lower price. I booked mine online then picked up at local store. See below link and check your local store.

PS- Advance Auto will install battery at store for free...

Maybe it is just an experimental thing in your area. No Red Dot or Yellow Dot when I check the link.
Neither one would give me a lot of confidence. I remember when AC Delco batteries had a green dot in the sight glass that would tell you the battery was good. A red dot was a bad thing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Maybe it is just an experimental thing in your area. No Red Dot or Yellow Dot when I check the link.
Neither one would give me a lot of confidence. I remember when AC Delco batteries had a green dot in the sight glass that would tell you the battery was good. A red dot was a bad thing.
Ok then order via web and have shipped. Was meant to be helpful link . Not experimental thing LOL, they really do exists.
Check Sears and see if they have batteries....Walmart? Maybe Western Auto?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Is there any objective evidence to suggest that this is a good quality battery that's actually worth $200?
Not really. There is a placebo effect when one pays out the nose for a new battery that one believes it must be The Best Battery Ever Made! Optima promotes themselves as a premium battery, whether it is anything better than Above Average is hard to say. AutoZone wouldn't offer deep discounts if the market believed the Optima was so undeniably superior.

In the past 4 years of rants against the "OEM Battery" I have never heard anyone ID the OEM. Just who makes the OE (note the distinction) Subaru battery? My point is the common ignorant rant is against the OEM, the manufacturer, not against the product, as if the manufacturer is the product. Furthermore there are about 3 automobile battery manufacturers in North America. So a rough guess is you have a 1:3 chance no matter what brand replacement you buy of getting one from exactly the same manufacturer.

In other news, a Group 24 is an excellent fit and usually an AH and CCA upgrade over similarly priced Group 25 (the OE size). Exact same height and width, a bit longer. Just tug the negative cable a little.

Amusing note: Watch the display first time you boot the car with a new battery. The Outback will momentarily claim to be a Legacy. That was unexpected as it is my understanding Subaru sells about 10 Outbacks for every 1 Legacy?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I BELIEVE he meant to say Red TOP battery, by Optima.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not really. There is a placebo effect when one pays out the nose for a new battery that one believes it must be The Best Battery Ever Made! Optima promotes themselves as a premium battery, whether it is anything better than Above Average is hard to say. AutoZone wouldn't offer deep discounts if the market believed the Optima was so undeniably superior.

In the past 4 years of rants against the "OEM Battery" I have never heard anyone ID the OEM. Just who makes the OE (note the distinction) Subaru battery? My point is the common ignorant rant is against the OEM, the manufacturer, not against the product, as if the manufacturer is the product. Furthermore there are about 3 automobile battery manufacturers in North America. So a rough guess is you have a 1:3 chance no matter what brand replacement you buy of getting one from exactly the same manufacturer.

In other news, a Group 24 is an excellent fit and usually an AH and CCA upgrade over similarly priced Group 25 (the OE size). Exact same height and width, a bit longer. Just tug the negative cable a little.

Amusing note: Watch the display first time you boot the car with a new battery. The Outback will momentarily claim to be a Legacy. That was unexpected as it is my understanding Subaru sells about 10 Outbacks for every 1 Legacy?
OEM Battery in my '19 says it was manufactured by Johnson Controls.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2016 27,000 miles, new May 2016 had the second battery issue in May 2019 first one went bad in Jan 2017. Battery kept dying with engine off while radio played.

I requested the dealer ( Larry Miller SUBARU in Boise) ge5 a higher cap battery. They did get one from First Interstate Battery here in Boise.

**SUBARU USA reimbursed me the $245 it cost for Dealer install and battery cost.

Just replaced that vehicle with a new 2019 Outback limited today 8/24/2019 at Costco pricing with extended warranty (additional 4 years after factory) was about $400

·
Registered
190 Posts
Absolutely. The factory Or Subaru ones are crap for my 3.6R. Go Red TOP with 720 cranking amps (Advanced Auto, $140~).

Red TOP cranks over great with none of the issues with Subaru battery. View attachment 469879 View attachment 469880
RED TOP , RED TOP, RED TOP

921 - 940 of 1000 Posts
About this Discussion
999 Replies
220 Participants
Wombology
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing