Subaru Outback Forums banner

1341 - 1360 of 1404 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
204 Posts
Maybe SOA would give an allowance to purchase a better battery than what was already replaced once. If in fact there is something else wrong, it would be good to know before running out and buying a new one. Batteries are getting more and more expensive, thanks to policies of our previous Commander in Chief.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Wow, yet another thread concerning the factory battery failure, and utter complacency of the company's defenders on here, despite another class action lawsuit against Subaru for this exact issue.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,913 Posts
Wow, yet another thread concerning the factory battery failure, and utter complacency of the company's defenders on here, despite another class action lawsuit against Subaru for this exact issue.
I have yet to see any one defend Subaru on this website over the battery issues but I am curious to know about the drama so I can watch it unfold in real time.

·
Banned
96 Posts
I have yet to see any one defend Subaru on this website over the battery issues but I am curious to know about the drama so I can watch it unfold in real time.
Shrugging it off and telling everyone to just go buy another battery out of pocket instead of fighting Subaru on this obvious issue = defending Subaru. i.e. complacency.

·
4,913 Posts
Shrugging it off and telling everyone to just go buy another battery out of pocket instead of fighting Subaru on this obvious issue = defending Subaru. i.e. complacency.
Oh I get it, if I am not part of the revolution I am part of the problem. I have a great song for you, it is about a man who took a stand on every little thing:

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 (Gen 5)
48 Posts
The **** battery concerns are true, but there is something else:

For push-button start, shutting off in neutral, and then shifting to park, leaves the ignition in ACC mode indefinitely. If you exit the vehicle, it will beep at you, but that's it. If you forget to turn the ignition off, and don't hear this beep, you'll leave a pretty good load on the battery - probably enough to kill a mediocre group 25 over night. (thanks to AvidHiker for that).

Here's what I got/installed:

Installed in a 2019 Outback. No battery terminal shim needed. Factory bracket worked fine. People say to go with Group 34, but IIRC, Odyssey doesn't make a group 34.
Note: I emailed Odyssey to see if I needed to put a battery insulation kit around the battery. Alan Kohler from Odyssey Battery responded, "I have to be honest, I do not really see the need, especially for an Odyssey Extreme. They are already rated for a higher temperature range than normal batteries."

Also, FYI:

I did have my battery die once since installing the Odyssey, but it was before I had the bluetooth monitor installed. Also, I consistently have problems with my radio stations losing the setting on the touch screen radio. Sirius stations stay fine, but the FM radio stations disappear after a while. No idea why, but it's super annoying.

Reactions: BlueSky29 and Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you all for your replies and helpful info. Any suggestions on Makes/Models of Batteries and Jump Starters?
Is a trickle charger helpful? The dealer recommended this during the cv timing while the car is being driven less.
I do like the idea to upgrade the battery, will appreciate any guidance there.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,451 Posts
Here's what I got/installed:

Installed in a 2019 Outback. No battery terminal shim needed. Factory bracket worked fine. People say to go with Group 34, but IIRC, Odyssey doesn't make a group 34.
That battery is a monster!

They do make a Group 34 battery: ODYSSEY Battery Model 34-PC1500T

The specs that matter are only very slightly better than the Group 25 and its volume and weight of the 34 are slightly less, so I saw no real reason to go with the 34 instead of the 25, and there's no chance I'd need the optional spacer due to the 34 being an inch shorter.

They don't make a Group 24 battery, which would have a similar larger footprint of the 34 and the height of the 25. That would probably have a real advantage in specs.

Note: I emailed Odyssey to see if I needed to put a battery insulation kit around the battery. Alan Kohler from Odyssey Battery responded, "I have to be honest, I do not really see the need, especially for an Odyssey Extreme. They are already rated for a higher temperature range than normal batteries."
Thanks for checking; that's good to know. The sleeve that comes with the factory battery is cardboard, so the amount of thermal or other protection it offers can't be more than minimal; I suspect it's there so that either the foam around the top (which only goes about 1/2" into the sleeve) can soak up any acid that escapes before it runs down the side to become a problem in the battery tray, or it makes the battery look bigger, or both. Maybe there's some other reason, but I can't fathom what it might be.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,944 Posts
The Everstart Maxx from Walmart has consistently done well in CR torture testing and is reasonably priced.

Maybe SOA would give an allowance to purchase a better battery than what was already replaced once...
In every instance where a member has claimed to have contacted Subaru about purchasing a battery of their choice, they've been allowed to do so and been fully reimbursed.

Plenty of other threads where there have been numerous recommendations to get it taken care of under warranty while it lasts. They happily replaced mine at a little over 2 years old just because it was starting to show minor signs of weakness, so I had a working stock battery beyond the duration of the BTB warranty - good enough for me. Once again, just like with posts on the internet, the existence of a lawsuit doesn't prove anything.

·
Banned
96 Posts
In every instance where a member has claimed to have contacted Subaru about purchasing a battery of their choice, they've been allowed to do so and been fully reimbursed.
BS. Subaru occasionally replaced the FACTORY battery for free, but this claim that they compensated customers for other battery brands is complete hogwash.

Plenty of other threads where there have been numerous recommendations to get it taken care of under warranty while it lasts. They happily replaced mine at a little over 2 years old just because it was starting to show minor signs of weakness, so I had a working stock battery beyond the duration of the BTB warranty - good enough for me. Once again, just like with posts on the internet, the existence of a lawsuit doesn't prove anything.
It proves one thing- that just like the tons of other stuff wrong with these cars, Subaru fails to admit fault and fails to work with customers to get it resolved. I'll take the millions of complaints as hard evidence over a company trying to weasel out of defects.There is a REASON these lawsuits exist, AND are allowed by judges to continue, whether you want to turn a blind eye to it or not.
Sheep.

·
4,913 Posts
BS. Subaru occasionally replaced the FACTORY battery for free, but this claim that they compensated customers for other battery brands is complete hogwash.

It proves one thing- that just like the tons of other stuff wrong with these cars, Subaru fails to admit fault and fails to work with customers to get it resolved. I'll take the millions of complaints as hard evidence over a company trying to weasel out of defects. Sheep.
Does someone need a timeout? Subaru has offered to compensate me for parts issues before and many others have shared similar stories as well, to include battery related compensation. We get it, you don't like Subaru and your schtick is getting old.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
this reminds me - I need to check the level of the electrolyte in the OEM not so great battery. Can't remember when I did it last.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The problem, besides poor quality OEM batteries that are also undersized, is we aren't driving enough to keep the battery at a good charge level. Idling or going on short trips causes the battery to deplete itself because it isn't being charged effectively. As the voltage is lowered more, it's ability to be recharged and have the same capacity is lessened. You have the makings of a "battery death spiral".

The process is called "sulfation". If you are bored and like to read here's a link: Sulfation and How To Prevent It

Get a better battery and drive the car.
Great post, bottom line is really "Get a better battery and drive the car."

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Everstart Maxx from Walmart has consistently done well in CR torture testing and is reasonably priced.

Which Everstart Maxx from Walmart did you get for your Outback ?

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,944 Posts
I have a maxx in a different vehicle (don't recall the size) and it's been great, and they generally seem to do well in CR testing. I just found the Group 24 results from 2017 and 2018 - turns out the Maxx 24FN (reversed terminals, north version) ranks near the top, while the 24S (proper terminals, south version) ranks near the bottom. Haven't seen anything more recent, so take it for what it is, but you can in fact fit a 24F if you want to give it a shot (required what sounded like a minor modification to free up a clamp so it would reach).

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,879 Posts
Speaking of the LAME stock battery, I think I am going to put mine to the test in my '89 Ford F350 tow truck. Either that or it might get a temporary home in my Chevy Astro Van. I'm curious if it will be able to start the 7.5 liter in the Ford, which is 3X the displacement of the 2.5i that it originally spun. The Astro battery is shot and I'm thinking about putting it back on the road for a while now that I replaced the fuel pump. I have a brand new Interstate mtp-48/h6 which I put in the wrecker to be able to move it around. That one will physically fit in the Astro I believe but the Astro has side post connections and I'm worried that converting it to top post might leave the terminals uncomfortably close to the fender (the battery kind of tucks under the left front fender). If I can make that work I will use that for the van just because I already have it. That would leave me with only the Subaru 356cca battery to use for the wrecker, which is just a yard vehicle so it never goes anywhere, but it would save me having to buy another battery. I could probably fit the Subaru battery in the Astro as well but if I am going to be driving it to work I don't want to have to depend on it starting the 4.3L V6 every day.

That sure got complicated very quickly. I think the only interesting thing about all of it is whether the Subaru battery can start the 460ci Ford big block. 😄

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
445 Posts
Any suggestions on Makes/Models of Batteries and Jump Starters?
There are probably other similar topics on here, but this is one that helped me choose a replacement jump starter.

Is a trickle charger helpful?
Definitely. If I leave our Outback unused for extended periods, or if it only gets driven for very short trips, I hook my favourite CTEK MXS 7.0 smart charger up to it for a couple of days to get the charge back up. I also have two CTEK MXS 5.0 chargers permanently connected to my boat batteries while not being used. I never intentionally let any lead acid battery get too low in charge, it certainly doesn't do them any good.

I have a Century BM12V battery monitor permanently connected to my Outback battery, so I can check the battery volts whenever I feel like it without even going into the garage. It connects via Bluetooth to my Android tablet whenever I want to check the voltage (requires Bluetooth 4.3 or later), & it gives me recent history of the battery volts with fairly good accuracy. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
445 Posts
The **** battery concerns are true, but there is something else:

For push-button start, shutting off in neutral, and then shifting to park, leaves the ignition in ACC mode indefinitely. If you exit the vehicle, it will beep at you, but that's it. If you forget to turn the ignition off, and don't hear this beep, you'll leave a pretty good load on the battery - probably enough to kill a mediocre group 25 over night. (thanks to AvidHiker for that).
It should go to Battery Saver Mode at the end of 1 hour, plus another 3 minutes to shut down the infotainment unit, to protect the battery in that scenario.

This is what our 2019 Outback 3.6R does (push button start/stop). Switching off the ignition to stop the engine with the gearshift in neutral & the e-brake ON, shifting to PARK, exiting the Outback, closing but not locking the driver’s door, & moving the remote fob out of 2-way communication range I observed the following.

At the 1 hour mark it shuts down all lights on the combination meter, including the light around the start/stop push button & on the e-brake lever. ‘Battery Saver Active’ displays on the combination meter for a short period. After 3 minutes the infotainment unit shuts off. The Security indicator light on the combination meter flashes slowly.

I didn’t take any battery load readings for this test, but my Century BM12V battery monitor graph shows the following battery voltages. The battery voltage was consistently 12.66V before starting the engine. With the engine stopped & the ignition still ON (it switches to Accessory) & the infotainment unit playing music from a USB flash drive it dropped almost immediately to 12.31V then progressively dropped to 12.20V at the end of the 1 hour period before going to Battery Saver Mode. After Battery Saver Mode it went up to 12.50V & after another hour it had recovered to 12.55V & was still slowly climbing.

This indicates to me that after the 1 hour 3 minutes period there is very little drain on the battery, but I’ll leave the Outback that way without opening any doors & see what voltage the battery monitor shows in the morning. When I get the time I’ll do the same test & get battery load readings.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,350 Posts
I just recently purchased a Type 34 Everstart Maxx from Walmart: here's the link: Link to the battery. It was actually a 34N and about $120. A good value. They didn't have a core program at the store I purchased mine from. I kept the problematic SOA battery and use it for my 12V tire pump. :p There is plenty of room in the battery holder to fit even a bigger battery than the 34. You have to toss the plastic battery surround on the existing OEM battery (I purchased some heat shield wrap and have yet to put it on - not sure it will do much though). Save yourself much hassle - I think a 10mm deep socket to remove the bracket will make this a breeze. An adjustable wrench might make you lose your mind during the task. Yes the 34 fits under the bracket. The thing you want to be careful of is the + and - post arrangement, and use the same with the new battery. HTH.

1341 - 1360 of 1404 Posts