Subaru Outback Forums banner

1361 - 1380 of 1404 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
286 Posts
Question: referenced above shutting off the car while in neutral then shifting transmission into park.

Curious, I have been driving for nearly 49 years. I would occasionally shut off a vehicle with manual transmission. Then put into a gear but cannot remember a time in an automatic that I would not be in Park before turning off the engine.

Did I misread that sequence? If not, what would be the reasoning or benefit of turning off the engine in neutral? Sincere and curious mind wants to know.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,944 Posts
...what would be the reasoning or benefit of turning off the engine in neutral? Sincere and curious mind wants to know.
For those of us with push-button start, hitting the button in P switches ignition completely off, wheras hitting it while in N switches to ACC (while also stopping the engine). It's the only way to keep the radio playing uninterrupted.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,879 Posts
See how much simpler pushbutton start makes ours lives... ;)
😄

I'm perfectly happy with my old-school keyed ignition. I've never found using a key to be an inconvenience, though I can see for some situations where it might be nice to have the hands-free option. None of those situations apply to myself but I guess I can understand why some like it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have push button but never needed that feature. If I wanted radio back, just single tap in Park without foot on brake

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
😄

I'm perfectly happy with my old-school keyed ignition. I've never found using a key to be an inconvenience, though I can see for some situations where it might be nice to have the hands-free option. None of those situations apply to myself but I guess I can understand why some like it.
There are days I still will reach for a key to turn.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,350 Posts
Subaru could program the BCM to avoid this problem of shutting off the engine while in [N]eutral and then shifting into [Park] and leaving the car in a high current consumption state. There is no issue shutting off the car when in [P]ark and while not pressing on the brake, hit the Ignition button to purposefully go into ACC mode. I'm sure this has burned many people. There are so many beeps and dings and visual indications... that unexpected scenario doesn't necessarily stand out. It's also called out in the manual but in a non-obvious manner.

As I had written many months ago in a previous post explaining this issue, there are more Human Factors issues at play, for example, the LED associated with the Ignition button and even the button itself is "hidden" behind the steering wheel when sitting in the seat. You have to bend over the cup holders to see the LED. A shame really.

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
445 Posts
... but I’ll leave the Outback that way without opening any doors & see what voltage the battery monitor shows in the morning.
As expected, 12.56V 12 hrs after it switched to Battery Saver Mode. The Century BM12V battery monitor indicates this as being still 90% charged. So the Battery Saver Mode works as intended for that scenario.

·
Registered
445 Posts
There is no issue shutting off the car when in [P]ark and while not pressing on the brake, hit the Ignition button to purposefully go into ACC mode.
This does exactly the same as what I just previously tested. A test I did some weeks ago shows that it draws 4.85A with a similar drop in battery volts for 1 hour (plus 3 minutes for the infotainment unit to shut down) before Battery Saver Mode reduces the load on the battery.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If I wanted radio back, just single tap in Park without foot on brake
That’s what I do if I want the infotainment unit to keep playing (or start playing) with the engine stopped, but some owners prefer the other method. Both methods achieve exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,350 Posts
I think you have to be curious. If you read the manual, you'll possibly find and recall the "Caution" about turning off the engine in neutral. However, I suspect that there are owners who haven't and end up with a low-volt battery / no start condition when they go to use their car.

I think Subaru should program the car defensively against this scenario (although I realise there may be some utility in being in Neutral with the engine off but the electrical system still powered up). And even with the method of using the Start/Stop to go into ACC mode without pressing the brake, both methods should be time-limited... not everyone is going to like that... So I propose they provide another "I-set" option for allowing users to determine the maximum length of time the ACC mode remains enabled.

·
Registered
445 Posts
And even with the method of using the Start/Stop to go into ACC mode without pressing the brake, both methods should be time-limited... not everyone is going to like that... So I propose they provide another "I-set" option for allowing users to determine the maximum length of time the ACC mode remains enabled.
At the moment that time limit is fixed at 1 hour which seems to work fine for the battery that the Australian spec 3.6R Outback & Liberty (Legacy) has factory fitted. But for a smaller battery like the USDM vehicles appear to get, having user configured setting options of something like 1 hour, 45 minutes & 30 minutes could be an advantage.

Our SJ Forester XT had a smaller factory fitted battery than our Liberty (Legacy) 3.6R & Outback 3.6R, & going from memory that timeout period was around the 30 to 45 minutes. It wasn’t 1 hour like on our Liberty & Outback. So that could have been factory configured to suit the battery.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,944 Posts
Seems some may be missing a nuance of the use of N to reach ACC, it's hardly the same as stopping in P and hitting the button again, at least not with my 2015 head unit (which is kinda slow to restart). There are times when I don't want to miss even a brief moment of what I'm listening to (typically news/talk programming). This is when having the ability to keep power to the radio uninterrupted comes in handy. Why they didn't just program it to stay powered until the door opens, like some cars have done for decades (and like Gen 6s, iirc), is beyond me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Seems some may be missing a nuance of the use of N to reach ACC, it's hardly the same as stopping in P and hitting the button again, at least not with my 2015 head unit (which is kinda slow to restart). There are times when I don't want to miss even a brief moment of what I'm listening to (typically news/talk programming). This is when having the ability to keep power to the radio uninterrupted comes in handy. Why they didn't just program it to stay powered until the door opens, like some cars have done for decades (and like Gen 6s, iirc), is beyond me.
Good point @AvidHiker. I listen to various talk/news shows and audiobooks when I was commuting into Houston daily. That's when I started streaming from my phone so I could keep listening for my walk from car to office. Nice to know if I am not on a phone.

I learned something new today. Cool.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Ltd PZEV w/ Eyesight, Crystal Black Silica
220 Posts
This!! My 20 year old Pontiac has radio off on door open feature. Also, my family likes to go to the drive-in theater. The 1 hour timer kinda sucks for that.

The 2015 radio with nav, totally sucks when having to wait for it to reboot with even a split second disruption. Even more of burn when using USB for mp3s or bluetooth/phone pairing. Maybe the newer models have a quick resume and a second or 2 disruption is all that is experienced? Certainly not the case for us with the Fujitsu head units.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Seems some may be missing a nuance of the use of N to reach ACC, it's hardly the same as stopping in P and hitting the button again, at least not with my 2015 head unit (which is kinda slow to restart). There are times when I don't want to miss even a brief moment of what I'm listening to (typically news/talk programming). This is when having the ability to keep power to the radio uninterrupted comes in handy.
Ok, I see the problem. To be more specific, in the 2018 & 2019 models they changed the way that works.

With radio playback selected it keeps playing for about another 3 minutes after switching the engine off before it switches the infotainment unit off. If Acc is selected after switching the engine off in Park it continues playing uninterrupted for up to 1 hour, the same as it does by selecting Neutral > OFF > Park.

But there is a catch to this. If listening to audio from a USB flash drive with USB selected in the setup menu, it stops the USB playback when the engine is switched off & starts playing the last selected radio station for a few seconds (usually something I don’t want to hear) before switching back to resume playing from the USB for 3 minutes before it switches the infotainment unit off. The workaround to stop the unwanted radio audio is to have an un-tuned radio station as the last selected (DAB preferably) & I get USB playback > DAB radio without audio > USB playback.

This happens when normally stopping the engine in Park where it plays for 3 minutes before it switches the infotainment unit off, or stopping the engine in Park then selecting Acc where it can play for up to 1 hour before it switches the infotainment unit off. However, by selecting Neutral > OFF > Park it continues playing uninterrupted from the USB for up to 1 hour before it switches the infotainment unit off, it doesn’t switch to radio playback for that few seconds.

IMO the above change was for the worse, mainly due to it switching to radio if listening to audio from a USB flash drive; I preferred the way the 2015 to 2017 models worked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My local shop (O Reilly's) suggests the Super Start Platinum 34, an AGM battery with cold-cranking at 750CCA and 860CA cranking amps. Warranty is no questions asked replacement for 3 years, not the longest but being close it could be helpful. Reserve capacity is 120 minutes and the price is $199.I have considered the Extreme, this option seems interesting with the 3-year easy exchange. I believe the battery is made by Deka.

How does this sound? They seem co-operative and I like the idea of buying locally.

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
My local shop (O Reilly's) suggests the Super Start Platinum 34, an AGM battery with cold-cranking at 750CCA and 860CA cranking amps. Warranty is no questions asked replacement for 3 years, not the longest but being close it could be helpful. Reserve capacity is 120 minutes and the price is $199.I have considered the Extreme, this option seems interesting with the 3-year easy exchange. I believe the battery is made by Deka.

How does this sound? They seem co-operative and I like the idea of buying locally.
Buying local is usually a good idea.

I am about to replace my battery because the stock one that has been replaced multiple times under warranty is about to give up the ghost again. I have no experience with AGM batteries but after researching I'm not sold on the technology as a replacement for flooded batteries. The remaining sort appears to be the Johnson Controls vs. Exide vs. East Penn/Deka debate.

Quite literally all of these stores are local to me. Looking specifically at Group 24 the prices range on the low side from $90 (Costco) to $200 (Auto Zone) ultimately for the same battery. Batteries Plus and NAPA were the least pricey for East Penn/Deka product. I like that NAPA provides a discount for AAA members. Home Depot was the only place that sold Exide. Of the Group 24 batteries I'm looking at all are 650-750cca with 110-120 reserve capacity.

Advance Auto Parts
Auto Zone
Batteries Plus
Costco
Home Depot
NAPA
Oreilly Auto Parts
Tractor Supply
Walmart

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agreed!
I'd like to share back what has been working. This forum gave me some very good ideas.
Last week I brought in my 2019 OB Ltd to the dealer. They ran a 'parasitic amperage draw' test,
with the car off, how much current still draws and where. This was great to be absolutely sure what was happening.

For peace of mind I ended up buying a new AGM 'Premium' battery locally. this was a good move. $200 but
820 cranking amps, 34 size was fine. I also installed the 'Battery Monitor' which I learned about here, listed above,
This is working out great! Got the app for my pixel phone, easy peasy, the installation was a breeze.

1361 - 1380 of 1404 Posts