Subaru Outback Forums banner

1381 - 1400 of 1404 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,879 Posts
Buying local is usually a good idea.
I like to buy local when I can, but another consideration with a car battery is availability in other areas that you may be traveling to in case of a battery failure while on a trip. That's one reason I went with Walmart because I know those are everywhere. Most of the bigger name auto parts stores can be found in many areas as well but some are more popular in different regions. I might have considered Costco but the closest one to my home is over three hours away.

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
I like to buy local when I can, but another consideration with a car battery is availability in other areas that you may be traveling to in case of a battery failure while on a trip. That's one reason I went with Walmart because I know those are everywhere. Most of the bigger name auto parts stores can be found in many areas as well but some are more popular in different regions. I might have considered Costco but the closest one to my home is over three hours away.
Definitely an important factor to consider and Walmart is an obvious choice. I've considered the same in regard to Walmart but despise returning anything there. Do they still require testing or have they moved to a no questions asked model now?

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts

Agreed!
I'd like to share back what has been working. This forum gave me some very good ideas.
Last week I brought in my 2019 OB Ltd to the dealer. They ran a 'parasitic amperage draw' test,
with the car off, how much current still draws and where. This was great to be absolutely sure what was happening.

For peace of mind I ended up buying a new AGM 'Premium' battery locally. this was a good move. $200 but
820 cranking amps, 34 size was fine. I also installed the 'Battery Monitor' which I learned about here, listed above,
This is working out great! Got the app for my pixel phone, easy peasy, the installation was a breeze.
Is that battery monitor designed to be left connected all of the time?

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts

Agreed!
I'd like to share back what has been working. This forum gave me some very good ideas.
Last week I brought in my 2019 OB Ltd to the dealer. They ran a 'parasitic amperage draw' test,
with the car off, how much current still draws and where. This was great to be absolutely sure what was happening.

For peace of mind I ended up buying a new AGM 'Premium' battery locally. this was a good move. $200 but
820 cranking amps, 34 size was fine. I also installed the 'Battery Monitor' which I learned about here, listed above,
This is working out great! Got the app for my pixel phone, easy peasy, the installation was a breeze.
Also meant to ask... the group 34 is shorter by about an inch. Does the stock hold down bracket still work or does it require any modification?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Definitely an important factor to consider and Walmart is an obvious choice. I've considered the same in regard to Walmart but despise returning anything there. Do they still require testing or have they moved to a no questions asked model now?
I don't know that any place would warranty a battery without testing it. I wouldn't expect them to. I recently had an Interstate battery replaced under warranty and I left my bad one with the Interstate retailer overnight so they could do a full charge and confirm that it was bad. The initial test indicated a problem but it wasn't a clear case of failure. I had no problem that they wanted to confirm the battery was bad.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
292 Posts
OEM battery is working just fine for me, so no, i will not replace it until it stops doing what it's designed to do. I also dome leave the battery on for extended periods of time without the car running. Seems like common sense instead of blaming the battery. I've never had to replace the stock battery on any of the three new Subarus I've bought in the past until many, many miles down the line until it was required. No sense in wasting your money on something that's working just fine now. Sounds more like user error to me, but hey, if you've got money to burn, y all means go for it! I also have been in the habit of turning off the heater/AC/fan and heated seats before shutting the vehicle off in previous vehicles I've owned. Battery seems fine so far in the OB.
You'll learn the hard way. I don't know where you live but if it's a real hot or real cold place.....be prepared to have to replace it - -

·
Registered
37 Posts
You'll learn the hard way. I don't know where you live but if it's a real hot or real cold place.....be prepared to have to replace it - -
sbpark posted that in Dec 2016 so would be good time to update.

We have Canadian Outback 2.5 base so have bit better battery. With less driving and even before it does not sound confident when starting it but has not let us down since buying new last summer.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
sbpark posted that in Dec 2016 so would be good time to update.
Seems we did later get an update a couple years down the road:
Ok, so I was the ninth person who originally replied to this thread scoffing at people replacing their batteries. 33 months and 25,000 miles in and my battery started giving me problems. Randomly died one day a couple weeks ago. Thought I may have left something on, but knew I didn't. Luckily I keep a jumper pack in the car. Noticed over the next week or so the car was slow to start a few times, and eventually wouldn't start and needed to be jumped again, would be fine, then needed to be jumped again, etc. Was going to get it replaced under warranty but decided that I really didn't want the same OEM junk battery again, so I shelled out for an Auto Zone Duralast 34-DLG. It's not the OEM size, but still fits in the existing tray with plenty of room to spare.

The reason I went with the 34 series and not the 24 series battery which is the OEM size was because the 34 series was a higher rated battery/greater CCA's for the same prize as the 24 series Duralast Gold. Seemed like a no-brainer.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Speaking of the LAME stock battery, I think I am going to put mine to the test in my '89 Ford F350 tow truck. Either that or it might get a temporary home in my Chevy Astro Van. I'm curious if it will be able to start the 7.5 liter in the Ford, which is 3X the displacement of the 2.5i that it originally spun. The Astro battery is shot and I'm thinking about putting it back on the road for a while now that I replaced the fuel pump. I have a brand new Interstate mtp-48/h6 which I put in the wrecker to be able to move it around. That one will physically fit in the Astro I believe but the Astro has side post connections and I'm worried that converting it to top post might leave the terminals uncomfortably close to the fender (the battery kind of tucks under the left front fender). If I can make that work I will use that for the van just because I already have it. That would leave me with only the Subaru 356cca battery to use for the wrecker, which is just a yard vehicle so it never goes anywhere, but it would save me having to buy another battery. I could probably fit the Subaru battery in the Astro as well but if I am going to be driving it to work I don't want to have to depend on it starting the 4.3L V6 every day.

That sure got complicated very quickly. I think the only interesting thing about all of it is whether the Subaru battery can start the 460ci Ford big block. 😄
I finally got around to trying my original 356 CCA stock Subaru battery in my '89 Ford F350 tow truck. The battery has been sitting on the bench in my shop since November 2017 when I replaced it. I did occasionally have a battery maintainer on it and it was fully charged today when I installed it in the Ford.

Did it have enough power to start the 7.5 Liter engine?

Yes.

But... it definitely struggled. If it wasn't for the big V8 firing almost immediately I don't know how long it would have turned over. But it did get the job done. In the end it will probably just be nothing more than just a test. I was hoping to use the brand new Interstate mtp-48/h6 battery that I have no other use for in my Chevy Astro Van, but I don't think I can make that work. I originally thought all I needed to do was use adapters to use the top post battery with the side-post cables in the van, but the terminal positions are also reversed from what the van needs and I don't think I can make the cables reach. So most likely I will end up buying a new battery for the van and keeping the Interstate as a backup and for running the wrecker when I need it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Also meant to ask... the group 34 is shorter by about an inch. Does the stock hold down bracket still work or does it require any modification?
The Group 34 is shorter and because of that the bolts bottom out before the battery is secure. I placed two blocks of wood on top to take up the slack. Problem solved. Don't place the wood across as you will cover the vent holes.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,842 Posts
OR buy a Spacer for Group 34 Batteries ...
These days many Group 34 batteries already come standard with a snap-on 22mm "height adapter," so they will match either Group 24 (spacer attached) or Group 34 (no spacer) dimensions. The Duracell Platinum AGM 24/34 batteries (manufactured by East Penn/DEKA) I have in both our Legacy and Outback are one example.

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
These days many Group 34 batteries already come standard with a snap-on 20mm spacer, so they will match either Group 24 (spacer attached) or Group 34 (no spacer) dimensions. The Duracell Platinum AGM 24/34 batteries (manufactured by East Penn/DEKA) I have in both our Legacy and Outback are one example.
I noticed that some of the Walmart Everstart had some as well.

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
In the end I went for an East Penn battery at the best price I could find which was a Duracell Ultra group 24. Looking at Consumer Reports the various East Penn batteries rated well across the board. I doubt that there is much difference between each of the brands (NAPA, Everstart, Super Start and Duracell) short of the label.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,350 Posts
I noticed that some of the Walmart Everstart had some as well.
I didn't need to put in a spacer in my '19 when replacing the OEM with an Everstart Plus Group 34. Did I miss something?

1381 - 1400 of 1404 Posts