Subaru Outback Forums banner

1401 - 1407 of 1407 Posts

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,353 Posts
If it moves around by pushing it, you need to secure it better.
Do you mean the clamp moving when you push it, or the battery? A battery will not move around on you unless you are off-roading as some decent angles, or flipping the car over. The battery will not be leaving the battery tray because of (a) the lip, and (b) the terminals... However, I'll go outside and dog mine down a bit more. My clamp has the piece of plastic that makes it hard for the positive terminal to make contact with the clamp, thus the frame, thus the negative terminal.

I was planning to take it back out and put some heat reflecting wrap around the battery. We'll see if I need to put a spacer of some type in there. thanks.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,974 Posts
Do you mean the clamp moving when you push it, or the battery? A battery will not move around on you unless you are off-roading as some decent angles, or flipping the car over. The battery will not be leaving the battery tray because of (a) the lip, and (b) the terminals... However, I'll go outside and dog mine down a bit more. My clamp has the piece of plastic that makes it hard for the positive terminal to make contact with the clamp, thus the frame, thus the negative terminal.

I was planning to take it back out and put some heat reflecting wrap around the battery. We'll see if I need to put a spacer of some type in there. thanks.
Just make sure the battery isn't loose enough to be able to vibrate. It may not move anywhere under normal driving conditions but vibration can damage a battery over time. If you have ever had something loose inside the car driving you nuts rattling while you drive, that same vibration can be going on inside the battery and the plates are relatively fragile. This is one area where AGM batteries do have an advantage since the fiberglass matting cushions some of the vibrations and the plates are more stable.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,353 Posts
Just make sure the battery isn't loose enough to be able to vibrate. It may not move anywhere under normal driving conditions but vibration can damage a battery over time. [...]
I agree on the vibration point, however, I can imagine the battery being rigidly connected to the battery tray and frame, and vibrating to the degree the engine is dampened (or not) by the motor mounts... I understand what you are typing, but I think the resonant frequencies or modes of the plates are going to be a function of their construction and the medium they are suspended in and the degree of engine dampening, much more so than other factors. I'm with you though on the AGM battery and it's construction.

·
Registered
2016 OB / 2008 Impreza / 1985 FJ60
147 Posts
vibration can damage a battery over time.. This is one area where AGM batteries do have an advantage
WORD !!!

A battery will not move around on you unless you are off-roading as some decent angles
A battery should not move under that condition....

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 -Tungsten
17 Posts
I got the Duracell battery from SAMs. It was the Group 34 AGM with the spacer. It has been working great as expected and I have even removed my portable vehicle jumper out of the car.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Original 356 CC battery still going alright for us. July 2020 end will be three years from purchase date. In the very cold days, I thought it cranked a bit slower than typical, but no real issues thus far. Past couple of oil changes, I put the battery on the charger (listening to music etc.). I expect this battery to go on a bit longer without hassles. Back-up is a NOCO GB40, just in case. This is the puniest CCA battery in any of our cars and lawn/garden equipment, however.
So basic BtB warranty expired yesterday. Battery still going OK. Has never left us stranded as yet. Will deal with it when it goes.

Reactions: ammcinnis
1401 - 1407 of 1407 Posts