Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got my build done!
2021 Outback Premium(Just the base model with LED fog lights and 10" big screen head unit)
mods:
Black out those chorme and the grey grill-----------------------------------------------------$30 vinyl wrap from Amazon, cut and do it by myself
Ready lift SST 2" lift kit installed (2" front and 1.5" rear suspension spacers)-------$365+tax from Amazon
TOYO Open Country AT3 tires 235/65r17-----------------------------------------------------$160 each from Amazon, $20 each for installing in Meineke
coinbox--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------$15 from Amazon
CKE Transmission Insert---------------------------------------------------------------------------$70 for 2 from ebay, I bought 2 just because it was $50 for 1 and you get $30 discount for two... lol
Dealer Alignment-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------$129
What outback do I want?

I do camping, overlanding, hunting and road-tripping in my car. I need it to be able to fit some mild off road scenarios in public hunting lands and can handle some easy National Park 4x4 trails. I need to sleep in the car idling with ac on. Texas summer is May to September with 100+F daytime and 90F at night. I have done a road trip from Texas all the way to Wyoming and head south to California finally went back to Texas in the OB. Sleeping in the car with ac on is very nice, but sadly stock OB is way too weak on off road ability. With a 2" lift and 235 tires the approach angle can reach about 26 degree along with 11.2 inches ground clearance(simple math!)---still not in body on frame off-roaders territory but pretty good in the same level with those offroad concerning crossovers.

How much does it take to finish the build?

I myself is a Economics PhD student so I have never done any mechanic work before. The most machenic thing I did is changing my spare in my previous 2013 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Truck. So believe yourself nothing is difficult at all.
It cost me 2 weekends working in the field(my property doesn't have cement ground so I have to work on dirt and put a wood board under the bottle jack) with 100 to 110F to get all the job done.
1. The blackout is simple and easy that you don't actually need a hair dryer at all. 3 hours for both sides and the front grill is more than enough. Black wraps are good to work with because even if there is something wrong it would not 'stand out' at all. Walk 5 yards away and they disappear!
2. The coinbox is plug-and-play. 1 minute and you get a nice box for all kinds of small staff!
3. Tires were shipped to store so nothing on myside. 0 minute. Open Country AT3 is new models and new tread with very good weight. However I'm not satisfied with the thin sidewall.
4. Lift kit is something tricky that I would not say 'fast and easy'. Those youtubers who say something "fast and easy" are always not fast and easy at all.
You have to mark EVERY bolts and nuts' location to not ruin your alignment. Improper installation would even make your car can not be aligned properly so if you want to do it by yourself. The front spacers are fast and easy though I finished both sides within 2 hours with only 3 bolts each side. Very easy. The rear spacers took me one and half days, 4 bolts on the upper control arm and 3 on the lower control arm eachside.

Some hint for lift kit installing:
Never tighten the bolts that connect your spacers(suspension) to the cabin before the car is set on the ground and pushed back-n-forth. Never tighten them on a jack!
Never tighten those bolts in the whole rear suspension system at all before the suspension is fully loaded! I have to disassemble everything several times just for that. Lesson learned.
Watch Youtube videos before you following the lift kit install manual. The buckle bolt made me stuck for hours before I finally found some tricks on youtube. Real time saver! And I believe I can finish the whole lift in 6 hours the next time.

How does the OB perform after the build?

The lift doesn't change the car most. The tires are. It feels that I can never lay down in the car driving any more and much more like a sit-driving truck feeling. Noise is manageble. No wobbling at all. Have not taken it off roading yet but will do later. Overall I'm happy with my build and I believe the gen6 OB has reached it limit. If I'm not still not satisfied I would trade it in for a truck or wrangler lol.

My OB is the black one, for reference the right one is a brand new stock OB2021 in the dealer's lot. I believe mine seems a bit heathier :)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Outback Limited XT Magnetite with 2 tone Grey interior. Doggie approved!
44 Posts
I really like the look of those tires. Would they fit without a lift kit?

·
Registered
2019 MY Outback 2.5 Sport (Touring?) and 2018 MY XV 2.0
40 Posts
Sleeping with an AC on? Please do not do that. Running an engine while parked generates BIG fines in Europe. Anyway, few people would do that even if it was allowed because of the concern for the environment. Elementary knowledge! Which university omits to teach about the climate change to PhD students in economics?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sleeping with an AC on? Please do not do that. Running an engine while parked generates BIG fines in Europe. Anyway, few people would do that even if it was allowed because of the concern for the environment. Elementary knowledge! Which university omits to teach about the climate change to PhD students in economics?
Haha Economics has nothing to do with climate change and carbon bala bala. It is more like a math way to explain and predict the economy. Seems that we have different culture with you guys in Europe and pesonally I hate those 'big government' with all kinds of regulations, and that's why I moved from California to Texas. I have been to Austria once and thank god I didn't know why you guys could live without AC in summer. In America or at least in Texas nobody cares about 'climate change' causing by vehicles. We have big v8 7.2l trucks everywhere and diesel old trucks blowing smoke all day long on the highway. Most of us sleeping inside a car doing long traveling would need to keep the ac and engine on all day and all night for a good rest. The only downside is that a carbon dioxide detector is needed to prevent guys from being killed when sleeping. Oh not to mention that we also have millions of big generators sitting on the ground working months and years.
With all bring said, I totally respect you guys to protect our earth but we ourselves just can not sacrifice our lifestyle like you. And in fact factories and industries consume and release MUCH MUCH MORE pollution so the best way may be shut those factories down rather than lock people in their home and prohibit sleeping in a car.

·
Administrator
1,382 Posts
Let's keep this topic on point please....

Nice wagon.

C.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts