Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
MY19 Outback 3.6R Premium
39 Posts
In the US all SUV models (Outback, Forester, Crosstrek, and Ascent) are advertised as 8.7 in (220 mm) of ground clearance. Why would the Australian Outback be made differently?
No idea. I'd have thought this would be a good selling point too, but after seeing a Gen5 and Gen6 parked side by side, they are definitely the same height.

Wait, you are saying it can be permanently turned off on some models? In the US no Subaru that has it can permanently turn it off. You need to buy a $100 aftermarket solution to do that.
Yeah, there's an option in the car preferences for it, but only in the Sports and Touring models, not the Standard (for want of a better term) model. I notice that we don't have the toggle button next to the Home button that the US model has for turning it off, for example, so already the software is quite different.

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
533 Posts
Comments on Reddit from the Australian Gen6 launch last weekend:
‘Xfgjwpkqmx’ who posted those comments from information that he/she got from a dealership, got some parts of the following wrong; “three variants on offer. Bottom end is just "Outback" (previously Standard), middle is "Outback Sports" (formerly Onyx) and top end is "Outback Touring" (previously Premium).”.
There wasn’t an Australian spec gen5 Outback model called ‘Standard’ or ‘Onyx’, they were called; Outback 2.5i, Outback 2.5-X, Outback 2.5i Premium, & Outback 3.6R.

It was an interesting comment about; “The new turning circle is very tight. Easily 1-2 metres tighter than Gen5”.
Going by the specs; the Australian spec gen5 Outback has a 36.1 ft turning circle which is identical to the US spec gen6 Outback. But there was a slight ratio change from 14:1 (2.82 turns lock-to-lock) on the gen5, to 13.5:1 ratio (2.7 turns lock-to-lock) on the gen6.

If what he/she says about being able to turn auto/stop start off altogether in the higher spec models is true, then that is a plus if we get the 2.4DIT engine & it has that option.

Some of the dealer supplied info posted sounds like sales marketing information to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There wasn’t an Australian spec gen5 Outback model called ‘Standard’ or ‘Onyx’, they were called; Outback 2.5i, Outback 2.5-X, Outback 2.5i Premium, & Outback 3.6R.
Close enough. The X was our Onyx, and a lot of people referred to it that way too, myself included. Darn American influences! =)

While the term "Standard" wasn't used in marketing materials, it was definitely used by dealerships when I was shopping for my own Outback. I've never heard anyone refer to it as the formalised "Outback" vs "Outback Premium", they always said "the standard version" or "the standard 2.5" and "the premium version/2.5". Much of a muchness of course at the end of the day.

Just to make this succinct, the Gen 5 in Australia was available as follows:
  • 2.0D diesel, in Standard or Premium trim
  • 2.5i petrol, in Standard or Premium trim
  • 2.5-X petrol, in the "Onyx" style trim only
  • 3.6R petrol, in Premium trim only and the only one with the Hardon Karmon sound system

The AU Gen6 has simplified this to three set builds and I haven't yet seen if you can, say, add a sunroof or in-car navigation to the bottom-end "plain" Outback as a costed upgrade, for example. I'm sure all the usual external add-on accessories will still be there, such as Thule pods, rear sill protectors, etc.

It was an interesting comment about; “The new turning circle is very tight. Easily 1-2 metres tighter than Gen5”.
Going by the specs; the Australian spec gen5 Outback has a 36.1 ft turning circle which is identical to the US spec gen6 Outback. But there was a slight ratio change from 14:1 (2.82 turns lock-to-lock) on the gen5, to 13.5:1 ratio (2.7 turns lock-to-lock) on the gen6.
According to my Gen5 sales brochure, I've got a turning circle of 11 metres, but I can't find any corresponding information for the Gen6 (yet).

If what he/she says about being able to turn auto/stop start off altogether in the higher spec models is true, then that is a plus if we get the 2.4DIT engine & it has that option.
I'm used to my 3.6R not having start/stop. Does the US 2.4 turbo start/stop?

Some of the dealer supplied info posted sounds like sales marketing information to me.
I've seen most of this reflected in various Gen6 AU YouTube reviews and car news sites so far, so I'd say a good chunk of it is either confirmed or is some degree of common knowledge. We'll see in due course I guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Honestly, I feel the "turning auto stop-start off" thing has to be a mistake. I just don't see this being true. There is a menu you drill down into in the US too, but that resets after a restart.

·
Registered
2017 OB Limited - Ice Silver
183 Posts
Being from the U.S. and just reading the docs.subaru.com.au/ web site, it says the engine has 90% new parts... what exactly does that mean ? Why wouldn't they use 100% new parts or am I just not understanding ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
According to my Gen5 sales brochure, I've got a turning circle of 11 metres, but I can't find any corresponding information for the Gen6 (yet).
A quick google of the US 2021 Outback shows a turning radius of 18.05 ft. That equates to a diameter (circle) of 36.1 ft which translates to 11.00328 meters. Considering this would be hard to change between the US and AUS, I think they are the same.
I'm used to my 3.6R not having start/stop. Does the US 2.4 turbo start/stop?
All the models do the start-stop here in the US. Manufactures are under pressure to have a high overall MPG or KPL (Kilometers per liter, is that a thing? I don't know how the rest of the world does metric and I wish we did it here).

Anywho... the auto start-stop is totally a thing to squeeze out a better MPG rating. In the US I've heard it HAS to be reset at restart in order to count toward official fuel efficiency numbers. It is stupid, but thems are the rules. However, the kits to stop it are only $100 which in my opinion is cheap considering you are already spending thousands on a high end vehicle. Make it what you want it to be and don't let small annoyances bother you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Honestly, I feel the "turning auto stop-start off" thing has to be a mistake. I just don't see this being true. There is a menu you drill down into in the US too, but that resets after a restart.
I'll just have to meander my way down to a dealer and do a test drive for myself then. That's the easiest thing to do!

Being from the U.S. and just reading the docs.subaru.com.au/ web site, it says the engine has 90% new parts... what exactly does that mean ? Why wouldn't they use 100% new parts or am I just not understanding ...
The engine used in the US model is US built. [Edit: It appears I am in error here, as it seems all engines globally are made in Japan based on my current Google-Fu.] All Australia's Subaru's are built in Japan and it would appear that we only use Japanese-built engines. No doubt there will be some practical reasoning for this, eg: possible emissions requirements, Subaru were intending to re-build a whole new engine for Gen6 anyway, etc. The remaining 10% would be parts that appear in the previous gen engine and possibly didn't have any value in being changed. It could also just be more marketing spin. Will need to pop a bonnet and have a look how different it looks visually.

And actually, now that I think about it, on a somewhat unrelated note, I remember a review of the AU Gen6 showing that we don't get factory gas struts for the bonnet anymore! Will have to check that out myself later too.

A quick google of the US 2021 Outback shows a turning radius of 18.05 ft. That equates to a diameter (circle) of 36.1 ft which translates to 11.00328 meters. Considering this would be hard to change between the US and AUS, I think they are the same.
Noted. Probably just a seat-of-the-pants assessment then I'd say.

All the models do the start-stop here in the US. Manufactures are under pressure to have a high overall MPG or KPL (Kilometers per liter, is that a thing? I don't know how the rest of the world does metric and I wish we did it here).
We use "litres (of fuel consumed) per 100 kilometres". My 3.6R is rated at 9.6 litres per 100 kilometres average consumption between highway and urban driving, which translates to 29 miles per gallon and is bang-on in my weekly commute, though I've been as low as 7.1 litres (33 mpg) on long distance highway travel.

My 3.6R does not come with the start/stop function as apparently it only applies to 4 cylinder engines. Haven't validated that against other brands to know if it's a "more than 4 cylinders thing" or if it's just a Subaru thing, though.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,246 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,246 Posts
We use "litres (of fuel consumed) per 100 kilometres". My 3.6R is rated at 9.6 litres per 100 kilometres average consumption between highway and urban driving, which translates to 29 miles per gallon and is bang-on in my weekly commute, though I've been as low as 7.1 litres (33 mpg) on long distance highway travel.
The 29 miles per gallon is imperial gallons. These differ from US gallons which converts to 24.5 miles per US gallon.
Americans always got to be different ;)

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,927 Posts
The engine used in the US model is US built. All Australia's Subaru's are built in Japan and it would appear that we only use Japanese-built engines. No doubt there will be some practical reasoning for this, eg: possible emissions requirements, Subaru were intending to re-build a whole new engine for Gen6 anyway, etc. The remaining 10% would be parts that appear in the previous gen engine and possibly didn't have any value in being changed. It could also just be more marketing spin. Will need to pop a bonnet and have a look how different it looks visually.
I do not believe this is correct. As far as I know the Subaru engines and transmissions are made in Japan and shipped to the US to be installed in the locally built vehicle.

Seagrass

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is the glossy brochure:
That's the Launch brochure. The sales version will have full tech specs, and will be linked from somewhere within www.subaru.com.au but they haven't done that yet.

The 29 miles per gallon is imperial gallons. These differ from US gallons which converts to 24.5 miles per US gallon.
Americans always got to be different ;)
I will never understand American ways of doing things. =)

I do not believe this is correct. As far as I know the Subaru engines and transmissions are made in Japan and shipped to the US to be installed in the locally built vehicle.
Something else to fact check then. Will be exercising my Google-Fu tonight methinks!

Edit: So far have found a lot of information on engines in general, but surprisingly no specific references as to where they are made (with the obvious implication that they are ALL made in Japan only). I cannot find any references to engines being made in the US but plenty of references to the rest of the car such as the Outback being made there, so looks like I sit corrected.

·
Registered
533 Posts
All Australia's Subaru's are built in Japan and it would appear that we only use Japanese-built engines. No doubt there will be some practical reasoning for this, ...
Yes – we only accept the best. :)
Seriously though, was the Australian spec Tribeca built in Japan? It was built for the American market but I don’t know if the ones we got were built in Japan or the US. The 3.0lt & 3.6lt engines fitted were obviously built in Japan (my understanding is all engines are built in Japan)

I remember a review of the AU Gen6 showing that we don't get factory gas struts for the bonnet anymore! Will have to check that out myself later too.
Neither does our latest gen Foz or the US market gen6 Outback & gen7 Legacy.

My 3.6R does not come with the start/stop function as apparently it only applies to 4 cylinder engines.
It is more to do with the TR690 CVT & the TR580 CVT than the number of engine cylinders.

This is off the top of my head so I hope I’ve got the following right.
The TR580 has an internal electric oil pump whereas the TR690 doesn’t. Mainly due to the lack of this internal oil pump in the TR690 CVTs, auto stop/start couldn’t be accomplished. The exception to this was the American market Ascent, gen7 Legacy & gen6 Outback that had the 2.4DIT with TR690 CVT, where somehow they found a way around this (most would probably say unfortunately).

So you won’t find auto stop/start in any Australian spec Suburus that have the TR690 CVT. The TR690 CVT was fitted to; SJ Foz XT, gen6 Liberty 3.6R, gen5 Outback 3.6R, gen5 Outback Diesel, SJ Foz diesel, WRX with FA20DIT, & Levorg with FA20DIT. I think there were also CVT equipped gen4 Outback 2.5i & gen5 Liberty 2.5i that had the TR690 CVT. Except for the above possible gen4 Outback 2.5i & gen5 Liberty 2.5i, these are all high torque engines that require the HT TR690 CVT. Later CVT equipped Subarus with the 2.5i engine & 2.0i engine had auto stop/start & these have the TR580 CVT.

Will be exercising my Google-Fu tonight methinks!
Only believe about 50% of what you find on the internet. It can be almost as bad as a couple of Subaru salesmen I’ve come across. ;)

·
Registered
533 Posts
... I don't know how the rest of the world does metric and I wish we did it here ...
That’s interesting. I grew up with imperial so I understood it well, but after metric was introduced it didn't take me long to realise how awkward a system imperial is. So if I have an option I will go with metric every time.

But there is one exception to this; For the car I still think in mpg instead of lt/100km. Even though the cars gives the ODO in kms & the average fuel economy in lt/100km, I convert the fuel economy in lt/100km in my spreadsheet log to mpg. One column for lt/100km & one for mpg.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,246 Posts
carsales.com.au review:

Reactions: XT-sub

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes – we only accept the best. :)
Seriously though, was the Australian spec Tribeca built in Japan? It was built for the American market but I don’t know if the ones we got were built in Japan or the US. The 3.0lt & 3.6lt engines fitted were obviously built in Japan (my understanding is all engines are built in Japan)
According to Wikipedia, Australian Tribeca's were built in the US. Filed away for future reference (most likely to be retrieved during pub trivia).

Neither does our latest gen Foz or the US market gen6 Outback & gen7 Legacy.
Boo! It's one of the BEST (and cheapest to implement) factory features in my Gen5!

It is more to do with the TR690 CVT & the TR580 CVT than the number of engine cylinders.

This is off the top of my head so I hope I’ve got the following right.
The TR580 has an internal electric oil pump whereas the TR690 doesn’t. Mainly due to the lack of this internal oil pump in the TR690 CVTs, auto stop/start couldn’t be accomplished. The exception to this was the American market Ascent, gen7 Legacy & gen6 Outback that had the 2.4DIT with TR690 CVT, where somehow they found a way around this (most would probably say unfortunately).

So you won’t find auto stop/start in any Australian spec Suburus that have the TR690 CVT. The TR690 CVT was fitted to; SJ Foz XT, gen6 Liberty 3.6R, gen5 Outback 3.6R, gen5 Outback Diesel, SJ Foz diesel, WRX with FA20DIT, & Levorg with FA20DIT. I think there were also CVT equipped gen4 Outback 2.5i & gen5 Liberty 2.5i that had the TR690 CVT. Except for the above possible gen4 Outback 2.5i & gen5 Liberty 2.5i, these are all high torque engines that require the HT TR690 CVT. Later CVT equipped Subarus with the 2.5i engine & 2.0i engine had auto stop/start & these have the TR580 CVT.
You learn something new everyday. I can go home now!

Only believe about 50% of what you find on the internet. It can be almost as bad as a couple of Subaru salesmen I’ve come across. ;)
True.

·
Registered
Touring 2021
9 Posts
When I took a new demo Outback Sport model for a test drive 2 weeks ago (here in FNQ) the salesmen assured me the Auto stop/start can be turned off permanently via the memory settings/ driver recognition.
This salesmen was quite an enthusiast who actually took an interest in the Outback rather than just "parrot" off a brochure, so I'm reasonably confident this is correct. Should I have tested this....probably, but I'm sure someone soon will be able to confirm this first hand.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts