Subaru Outback Forums banner

Gen6 Outback for Australia w/pricing!

12K views 76 replies 26 participants last post by  NewsteadIPA 
#1 · (Edited)

Looks like Subaru Australia has released details and pricing of the trim models of the 6th Gen Outback! I'm interested to see how the Sport's "Ladder roof rack" is different from the standard transformable roof rails of the regular Outbacks from the North American market. Too bad no 2.4L engine is going down south, but at least you still get the round fog lamps! I also noticed that the front bumpers and wheel arch mouldings are different.

Brochure LINK: Download the all-new Outback brochure

Reactions: SilverOnyx
#2 ·
Hope the photos in the brochure are a good representation of what we can expect here in Australia. All the photos carry the caption "Overseas model shown". Was thinking of pre-ordering the Touring version but think now best to hold off to see one in the flesh. Colours and trim still an unknown issue according to one salesman I spoke to over the weekend.

#4 ·
The note in the brochure "Final Australian specifications of Subaru Outback subject to confirmation and may vary from what is described in this brochure and between model variants. © 2021 Subaru (Aust) Pty Limited. All rights reserved."
covers a lot of ifs and buts. Seems that the 2.4 turbo is not manufactured in Japan and only available from the Lafayette, Indiana plant. Pity!

#5 ·
The 2.4 engine is made in Japan, just not used there :mad:

There is an australian automotive youtuber who went on a big rant about not having the turbo and I totally agree with him.

Reactions: walker
#7 ·
But in any case, I suspect the long delay in Japan was because they probably have a higher standard for fit and finish than the USA made products, and the 2.5 is ample for daily driving. I have the turbo and while I like it, I don't really need it for driving in normal traffic, so if you're contemplating a 2021 Outback I think you'll be very very pleased with it as long as you're not in a hurry.

#12 ·
They decided we did not “need” a turbo model AND they have discontinued the H6 (which is still available in our current model).

The automotive reporters have been in an uproar about our limited engine choices so it will be interesting to see what Subaru Australia’s response will be.

Seagrass

#13 ·
Japan doesn't get the Turbo either. Wonder if they are somehow supply constrained in the 2.4 engine's production and if it might be available next year? One can always hope. Is the turbo take rate in the USA is higher than they expected? Can't judge based on forum membership.

#18 ·
The 4th Gen Eyesight, looks so much cleaner and smaller - jealous on that and different grill too!
The green highlights on the Sport (Onyx) - What the heck?? Sorry, it's worse than the orange on the Forester Sport IMHO

#19 ·
This thread should be retitled to All New vs Facelifted.

#23 ·
The biggest thing I saw on the article was the mentioning of Eyesight X. I’m curious if it’s an AU rollout or if they are planning to roll out in the US.

I would be slightly disappointed if I ended up buying the last non Eyesight X model, but again I’m pretty happy with the purchase. No car is perfect.

#28 ·
What do ya bet we won't get the 360 camera in the US? [emoji53] Or as Subaru called it "All around view monitoring"
Eyesight x uses more radars. The front view monitoring mentioned is the front camera. The side view monitoring is a camera in the passenger mirror as a parking assist, and has been available in Australia in some models in the gen5 cars already.

And I bet you’re right, we won’t get that.

#29 ·
Fender flares look a bit butch for an Outback but that's down to personal taste.
I will be disappointed if a surround view 360 camera becomes available soon in the US as that's one feature I really miss having.

Grill reminds me of a 2010 Ford Taurus...

Or maybe a GLA - either way not very original or interesting.

#31 ·

#33 ·
No... what makes you think that Australian link that you posted has anything to do with what we'll get in the US? Search and read through the other threads that have already been posted about this subject.

#37 ·
The supposed lift is interesting. I'd imagine it would reduce fuel economy but increase general utility. One of the biggest complaints I hear about the OB in off-road situations is the approach and especially the departure angle since it's a longer car and pretty low to the ground despite the ground clearance.

Would be cool if it had some type of take-off gear in lieu of the torque converter. Toyota's working on that and has deployed it in their newer Corollas to keep the strain of acceleration off the CVT for longevity's sake. Would be even cooler if it came in a manual ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.