Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got rid of the nasty OEM Duelers yesterday at 19,700 miles because the traction in snow and rain was so poor, even when new.....

I had these Generals on my Forester and loved them so ordered a new set for the OB.........

Miracle: the twitchy steering that I first noticed when the car was new is GONE.......and I mean it. Have to relearn to drive the OB now after 2.5 years!!! The car is planted BUT the inability for the car to stay in its lane is really insignificant now and I am a happy camper.

Also: this could be my imagination BUT the car seems to sit a bit higher........the driver's chair is back to the original position it always was before the installer got in and readjusted everything before driving it in the garage........if this is my imagination, fine.......I'm at the point where I tend to be a bit........"senior"?? That being said, I do definitely feel like I'm seeing the world from a bit higher......and since I have my chair adjusted all the way back since I'm too tall to sit otherwise means that the L1 setting which was good now seems better.....the tire clearance in the wheel wells also seems just a tad more......

Great tires from my previous experience BUT I wanted to mention these all seasons again....we live in NH and the Forester really improved in snow and heavy rains back when I got the RTs installed..... VIP suggested either the RTs or Sumitomo all seasons but I wanted to buy what I already knew was a good brand and tread design....

Steve

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
642 Posts
Although I think the OEM tires are "OK" (pretty low praise, I know), they haven't lasted despite what I'd consider fairly light use. Not even 30k miles and the treads are worn enough that I'll have to replace this year. So I'm looking for a replacement.

I've never owned General tires but I see on Tire Rack that they're pretty highly rated and they have a decent warranty. Plus, they come in a size that'll fit my 3.6r.

Which is a long way to say thanks for the recommendation!:grin2:

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Outback w/Eyesight, Venetian Red Pearl
301 Posts
I recently purchased a set of the General Altimax tires from Tire Rack for my 2003 S10 pickup. Really liking them so far. They are much quieter and smoother riding than the old ones that were on the truck when I recently bought it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
462 Posts
Yup, had them on my '11 Forester before I sold it, also on my wifes '11 Outback Sport (Impreza).

Very good all season tires and not bad in the snow.

I intend to put these on my '17 OB next year when the Duelers give up the ghost.

Reactions: Hilola

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
203 Posts
I've liked these tires too and have praised them elsewhere. Currently have them on wifes Sante Fe awd which isn't like our full time Subaru awd as you guys know. Also had them on a Toyota corolla a few years back. Good tires and good value. Solid performance across the board and better in winter than you'd think.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My RTs really were good in the snow on the Forester.......much deeper tread pattern AND also stiffer in turns......I got them based on some comments I read on the Forester Forums back then and my real world experience mirrored that...........the nice thing about the Generals is that you don't pay a premium because of the name, unlike Michelin and some of the other "premium" brands.......

Steve

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
+1 for RT43s. Going to put them on the Outback soon as the stock tires start getting worn. Have had them on every other car we've owned in the last 5 years or so.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,541 Posts
Great to hear all the positive experiences with the General RT43 tires. After reading the great reviews on Tire Rack, I just put a set on my daily driver Alero.

So far I'm pretty happy with them. But I must say, when driving in grooved concrete road surfaces, they don't feel planted at all. The have that wandering feeling that many modern tires, especially those that are siped, have. The Michelin Harmony tires that they replaced were a lot more planted.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My RTs really were good in the snow on the Forester.......much deeper tread pattern AND also stiffer in turns......I got them based on some comments I read on the Forester Forums back then and my real world experience mirrored that...........the nice thing about the Generals is that you don't pay a premium because of the name, unlike Michelin and some of the other "premium" brands.......

Steve
Good to know! I will consider them as potential replacement tires for summer only. :smile2:

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Convenience
334 Posts
I got a set of RT43 last spring based on the user feedback. They are reasonably good in dry weather, but have so so hydroplanning resistance, even when new.

On my old Legacy, I had General Exclaim UHP - those worked like magic in dry and wet. Lasted only 40-50k km though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts