Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how hard, really, is the maintenance on these Subaru's? The prices at my local dealer are a little high for my liking. $230 to replace the oil in front and rear diffs? $300 for a trans flush?$200 to flush braking system? $80 for an oil change? Seriously wow! I can do all of this in my driveway at home. Just wondering if there is something special about these cars or if special tools are required that the dealers are so expensive?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
575 Posts
There are some special tools, but they are relatively cheap to purchase. The only exception is a total transmission flush, unless you happen to have one of those contraptions in you garage, which is unlikely. The only way to get around that is to do about three drain/fills to replace all of the fluid.

I've done most of my own work, except for the transmission flush.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are some special tools, but they are relatively cheap to purchase. The only exception is a total transmission flush, unless you happen to have one of those contraptions in you garage, which is unlikely. The only way to get around that is to do about three drain/fills.

I've done most of my own work, except for the transmission flush.
What would be the special tools that are needed? I'd like to start building my collection.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
575 Posts
Basically unusual socket heads & extensions. If you search the forum/you tube, for the task you are interested in you will find some really good write-ups describing the procedure and what tools are required. For instance on the spark plugs you will need a few small extensions to be able to work in the tight space required. I bought a tight fit socket for removing the plug and a looser one for installing, so the socket wouldn't get stuck on the plug when I was trying to back the socket out.

The differential drain/fill plugs also require specific sockets.

Everything is fairly straight forward as long as you get a good instruction write-up and the correct sockets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically unusual socket heads & extensions. If you search the forum/you tube, for the task you are interested in you will find some really good write-ups describing the procedure and what tools are required. For instance on the spark plugs you will need a few small extensions to be able to work in the tight space required. I bought a tight fit socket for removing the plug and a looser one for installing, so the socket wouldn't get stuck on the plug when I was trying to back the socket out.

The differential drain/fill plugs also require specific sockets.

Everything is fairly straight forward as long as you get a good instruction write-up and the correct sockets.
Right on. I'll start doing my research. Thanks for all of the help.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,207 Posts
The prices at my local dealer are a little high for my liking.
A 2014 model is well out of factory warranty, and you’re never obligated in any case to use the dealer service network. Ask around locally for recommendations of inđependent Subaru shops; you may be pleasantly surprised.

And yes, as others have said, do learn to do the simple things yourself - you can get a lot of tips and illustrated procedures on this forum!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts