Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited w/ Nav
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a Baby Boomer and new Outback owner, I am interested in generations. I looked at the models forum and recognized that I have a Gen4. Why? Evidently the Outbacks are classified by "major facelifts." Is this arbitrary, just generally accepted, or officially defined somewhere? Pointing me to a thread I could not find would be helpful. Not a critical issue, just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,063 Posts
It's more than just a facelift. The structure, suspension, drivetrain, the entire vehicle was redesigned. There were 3 designs prior to the current model making this the 4th generation.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
The Wikipedia article is a trainwreck with respect to the Outback branded cars. The 'editors' there have an 'anything-but-the-US-market-centric' view of cars. Never mind that the Outback brand was made with the US market specifically in mind, and thus the generations should be referred to based on US market standards. There's also semantics of production dates vs model years, which confuses it even more. The lovely Wikipedia editors decided the Outback was 'just a Legacy with some body cladding', which is an understatement of course. Sure, its got most of the same parts, but due to the differences it doesn't line up with the production years of the Legacy its based on. The cross-market confusion grows, and will continue to do so, as Aussies seem to call our Gen. 1 a Gen. 2, because they figure it based on a Legacy generation. As other markets adopted the Outback branding later, I'm sure that'll add more to the problem.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
The Wikipedia article is a trainwreck with respect to the Outback branded cars. The 'editors' there have an 'anything-but-the-US-market-centric' view of cars. Never mind that the Outback brand was made with the US market specifically in mind, and thus the generations should be referred to based on US market standards. There's also semantics of production dates vs model years, which confuses it even more. The lovely Wikipedia editors decided the Outback was 'just a Legacy with some body cladding', which is an understatement of course. Sure, its got most of the same parts, but due to the differences it doesn't line up with the production years of the Legacy its based on. The cross-market confusion grows, and will continue to do so, as Aussies seem to call our Gen. 1 a Gen. 2, because they figure it based on a Legacy generation. As other markets adopted the Outback branding later, I'm sure that'll add more to the problem.
Wikipedia is a website that services the entire world, not just the US.

And if you have so many problems with the information that is presented there you are free to make the changes yourself. That's how Wikipedia works...

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Yes, I know this - but they take no consideration of confusing the **** out of people because they play semantics with 'well, its a Legacy, and that generation was introduced in Japan and Australia 2 years before the US, and...' so instead of actually documenting this in any way, they just gutted the snot out of what was once a pretty comprehensive article about the Outback. There are some 'purist' (elitist) types there trying to change the model year standard followed by many countries in favor of a 'production year' which as noted due to market introductions isn't really clear either.

Of course, I'm most particularly talking about the ENGLISH Wikipedia - so when did English become the official language of the world? Who decides what part of the world 'owns' the English language and sets the standard as to 'what is here, is right'? The supposed 'world point of view' seems to greatly be 'something other than the US point of view' in the way Wikipedia editors operate.

Anyway, I'm off to go have a look under my bonnet to check my oil, then I'll top off the petrol. Maybe I'll follow that with sorting my spanners. (There, did that sound 'right' enough for a Wikipedia editor?)

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Anyway, I'm off to go have a look under my bonnet to check my oil, then I'll top off the petrol. Maybe I'll follow that with sorting my spanners. (There, did that sound 'right' enough for a Wikipedia editor?)
close enough.... YOU need to top off the petrol at the Petrol KIOSK!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The forecourt of the kiosk, no less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts