Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been playing with the idea of swapping out the wheels and tires on my 2016 Outback 3.6 since I got it last summer. My wife was driving it yesterday and slipped a little bit on the freeway in the rain. No accident or anything, but I think that's the excuse I was looking for. Those stock Duelers are going to go.

I've decided I like the Method 502s in 17" because they should fit over my brakes--the 15s not so much--and since I'm stepping down from 18" stock rims, the tire calculator over at willtheyfit.com seems to indicate the 502 wheels with Geolander G015s in P235/75R17 will give me a larger overall diameter by 2.25". My question for those of you who have worked with these is whether you think I'm going to run into any problems with what new size. My car is not lifted. Eyeballing the wheel well, it looks like there's plenty of space, but I'll be the first to admit I'm a newbie when it comes to wheels and tires.

It's a daily driver so 99% of the driving will be on the road in warm/hot dry Texas weather, but I'd like a good strong tire that I can also take with confidence down a dirt or gravel road when we go camping. The G015s seem like a pretty solid compromise. Really, what I'm looking for in this thread is to get called on any big red flags before I put down money on these wheels and tires.

I appreciate your experience and assistance.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited + Eyesight
13 Posts
Subscribed - nearly the same question from 2015 3.6R owner also in Texas. I LOVE those wheels!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had been playing with the idea of swapping out the wheels and tires on my 2016 Outback 3.6 since I got it last summer. My wife was driving it yesterday and slipped a little bit on the freeway in the rain. No accident or anything, but I think that's the excuse I was looking for. Those stock Duelers are going to go.

I've decided I like the Method 502s in 17" because they should fit over my brakes--the 15s not so much--and since I'm stepping down from 18" stock rims, the tire calculator over at willtheyfit.com seems to indicate the 502 wheels with Geolander G015s in P235/75R17 will give me a larger overall diameter by 2.25". My question for those of you who have worked with these is whether you think I'm going to run into any problems with what new size. My car is not lifted. Eyeballing the wheel well, it looks like there's plenty of space, but I'll be the first to admit I'm a newbie when it comes to wheels and tires.

It's a daily driver so 99% of the driving will be on the road in warm/hot dry Texas weather, but I'd like a good strong tire that I can also take with confidence down a dirt or gravel road when we go camping. The G015s seem like a pretty solid compromise. Really, what I'm looking for in this thread is to get called on any big red flags before I put down money on these wheels and tires.

I appreciate your experience and assistance.
did you put the Geolander G015's on? any fit issues?

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium ES
243 Posts
I'm confident the 235/65s were the way to go when it was all said and done. The 75s would have rubbed the front of the wheel well.
Looks great, can you post a pic from farther back? I have been eyeballing same combination on my Tungsten.

I recently posted a spreadsheet with rim/tire sizes after spending too much time going through the "tires and wheels proven to fit" thread. Some were able to go up to 245/65 with removing the OEM splach guards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a detail shot showing how much it fills up the wheel well. Also, here's what the car looks like with them on it. It sits about a quarter inch higher even though I dropped an inch in wheel size. I'll tell you where I really notice it is when I go over speed bumps. It just soaks them up with all that extra tire wall. 245/65 is an interesting idea. I'd be curious to learn more about that even though obviously i won't be getting new tires any time soon.

Attachments

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,281 Posts
245/65/17 Fit with KO2's.

I did not need to remove anything.

I don't rub.

I have a 2" lift though.

Looking at the gap between the caliper and the wheel: do you think 16" methods would fit?

Could open up some possibilities in tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think you can find 16" Methods. I've only seen them in 17" and 15" and the 15s won't fit over my big brakes. Black Rhino was working on a 16" wheel that was reminiscent of Method's 502s but I'm not sure if they are available yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts