Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback 2.5l-H4 5-speed
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to browse other countries auto sales sites and came across an outback in Germany with an extra lever where the cupholder normally exists.

Any idea what this is for?
(Obviously nothing in usdm shop manual or any usdm part sites)

The site is a little weird to navigate, claims it to be a 4x4 but I assume its AWD as per usual.

Found here:
mobile.de subaru outback with extra lever

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,307 Posts
Daughters 2004 Impreza had it here in Australia. Never got to really test it out but played with it a few times for fun.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,146 Posts
I once owned a 2000 Forester that had dual range. I used the low range a few times on a steep grade and I was quite impressed.

That Forester was a good vehicle, picked it up for $400 installed a new clutch, paid for 12 months rego and sold it for $2,500 after owning it for around 18 months.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
104 Posts
I've heard that the gear reduction wasn't comparable to a dual-range transfer case found in most 4WDs, but I would've taken it over nothing.

It does show us that Subaru's Symmetrical AWD drivetrain is capable of dual range, and the fact that they went away from this makes me sad.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Camellia Red Metallic, 2002 H6 Outback wagon VDC + 2001 2.5 VDC
336 Posts
In the U.K. all manual non turbo Impreza wagons and legacy wagons had dual range... (lots of legacy were only 2.0L here)
I had a 1999 BG legacy wagon 2.0L “classic” (Indiania built and 116bhp engine) that was dual range.. was handy for towing and steep grades..
The dual range box isn’t very strong... hence why generally only on the lower power models... Most 2.5 were sold as autos here...

·
Registered
2000 OB Brighton, 2005 OB 2.5 Euro Spec, 2007 OB w/ DIY 2" Lift
70 Posts
My German ‘05 Outback has that too, pretty useful for climbing in the snow actually!

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,013 Posts
I've heard that the gear reduction wasn't comparable to a dual-range transfer case found in most 4WDs, but I would've taken it over nothing.

It does show us that Subaru's Symmetrical AWD drivetrain is capable of dual range, and the fact that they went away from this makes me sad.
Yea, EJ low ranges are like a 1.2 or 1.44, and only available on a manual.

My 4runner has a 2.57 low AND a torque converter.

The EA82s could be had with a 1.59:1, and with some modification, can be combined with 4.44 axle gears. So the best combination is 25:1 crawl ratio. I don't want a clutch offroad unless it's at least 100:1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts