Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Outback (3.6R Limited) is nearing 200k miles, which means I want to start looking for a replacement. For those of you who recently bought an Outback, or are also anticipating a new car purchase, what other similar vehicles are on your "short list"?

A new Outback is definitely on my own short list, either a 2018 or 2019, probably in 3.6R Limited or maybe Touring form. But I don't want to be close-minded about other options. So I'm looking at some other competing vehicles. I'm looking at some similarly-loaded more-direct competitors (e.g. CR-V, RAV4, Mazda CX5, as well as the new 2019 Forester). But I'm also considering some vehicles generally considered to be more luxury, such as the Audi Q5, Volvo XC60, the new 2019 Acura RDX, etc. I realize that these will set me back a fair amount more, but I don't really have a totally firm budget...

My wife will probably be the primary driver, and I'm going to take over her current daily driver. But I will still be driving the new vehicle a fair amount.

In addition to another Outback, the two vehicles that appeal to me most on paper (so far) are the Audi Q5 and the brand new Acura RDX. The RDX, in particular, is not necessarily THAT much more than a loaded Outback, if you go a bit easy on options.....

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
449 Posts
My opinion, and I'm not in the market, is to stay away from the Audi. The relatively trouble free 200K you have experienced with your Subaru will become a fond memory with an Audi. Any high end vehicle is designed for someone with either unlimited funds or someone who leases and returns before the warranty ends. And when a high end vehicle breaks the repair costs are also high end.

Ask me how I know!

Personally I'd go with another OB at whatever trim level you can swing. If I were looking to replace my OB I'd be at the Subaru dealership in a heartbeat. But with a "mere" 95K on the clock it's going to be a while!

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
My 2010 Outback (3.6R Limited) is nearing 200k miles, which means I want to start looking for a replacement. For those of you who recently bought an Outback, or are also anticipating a new car purchase, what other similar vehicles are on your "short list"?

A new Outback is definitely on my own short list, either a 2018 or 2019, probably in 3.6R Limited or maybe Touring form. But I don't want to be close-minded about other options. So I'm looking at some other competing vehicles. I'm looking at some similarly-loaded more-direct competitors (e.g. CR-V, RAV4, Mazda CX5, as well as the new 2019 Forester). But I'm also considering some vehicles generally considered to be more luxury, such as the Audi Q5, Volvo XC60, the new 2019 Acura RDX, etc. I realize that these will set me back a fair amount more, but I don't really have a totally firm budget...

My wife will probably be the primary driver, and I'm going to take over her current daily driver. But I will still be driving the new vehicle a fair amount.

In addition to another Outback, the two vehicles that appeal to me most on paper (so far) are the Audi Q5 and the brand new Acura RDX. The RDX, in particular, is not necessarily THAT much more than a loaded Outback, if you go a bit easy on options.....

I like the Q5 but Audi's seem to have too much planned obsolescence built in them. As already said, they seem to be built for the guy that leases them for 2-3 years then tuns them back in.

My son's fiance had a late model A6. Great car while under warranty. After about 3 years she had all manner of issues. It quickly was sold.

Like you, I really do like the new RDX. Also like the new Cadillac XT4, hoping that hits the streets soon. Looking to test drive both this fall.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
900 Posts
What major repairs have you had to do on your 2010 3.6R? And what major repairs do you expect to have to do in the near future if you opt to keep it?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
toyota highlander hybrid, new or slightly used.

subaru is supposed to announce more about plug in hybrid offerings around november/decemeber of this year.

announcements so that the re-release of the crosstrek hybrid at that time, will not be the only subaru hybrid coming to market.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
329 Posts
I know a few friends who have not had good experience with Audi. Drive / handling, comfort/luxury are all very good but once things break they are costly to fix unless you do your own stuff.
RDX is a much safer bet but personally I would choose the 3.6r over the RDX.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
900 Posts
Drove a advanced and sport RDX. Both where nice but the touchpad interface sucked Imo plus, it had some turbo lag. Although a bigger car I went with the Ascent. The new 2.4 and revised CVT I though where better than the Acura. Subaru's interface is much simpler too.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,727 Posts
This is probably (almost certainly) going to be the last year for a 3.6R, and the 19's seem like they have a couple minor tweaks. The rumor is that they're going to move the 2.4T engine from the Ascent into the Outback and Legacy for the MY2020 redesign next year.

So, you have a great gem of a car. People love the combo of the EZ36D - which is the same engine in the 2018 and 2019 Outbacks in your short list - but the newer 3.6's have the CVT. Personally, having a 2011 2.5 CVT, I liked it a lot. Since you're coming from a more traditional 5 speed AT, you'll have to be prepared for a different driving feel.

People regard the EZ & 5EAT combo as pretty resilient and bulletproof. So, I think there's some reasoning behind people suggesting you hang onto it and ride it into the sunset. But, the interior is obviously dated. For me, personally, the ability to get EyeSight, especially Adaptive Cruise Control, makes the upgrade worth it for me.

Have you considered an Ascent? The RDX is not a direct competitor to the Outback. The Ascent is kind of like a beefier mashup of the Forester and Outback, my opinion it was mostly based on Outback.

With the new Ascent you'd get the latest interior tech, including the ability to get a forward camera, panoramic moonroof, ventilated seats, smart rear-view mirror, and the option to have 7 or 8 passengers depending on your trim... and of course the new Subaru Global Platform.

I was considering grabbing one of the last 3.6's in the upcoming months, but after driving one of the Ascents (actually drove two - one Limited 8-passenger and one Touring 7-passenger) and I liked it a lot.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
I know a few friends who have not had good experience with Audi. Drive / handling, comfort/luxury are all very good but once things break they are costly to fix unless you do your own stuff.
RDX is a much safer bet but personally I would choose the 3.6r over the RDX.
I'm curious why.

The RDX has more HP and torque as well as a better warranty.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
329 Posts
I'm curious why.

The RDX has more HP and torque as well as a better warranty.
I find the Outback more practical and more utility value. Cargo volume is much bigger ... rear seat is more spacious. With kids / hauling stuff, trips / vacations are so much more convenient. awd is much better, x-mode has pulled me out of bad icy / muddy forest roads which I doubt any other crossover than a jeep would be capable of. prev gen RDX did not have the sh awd, so the latest one is probably much better and more capable.
Plus I am frugal and dont want to spend on premium GAS :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good feedback and suggestions. There's actually nothing compelling me to get rid of my current Outback. From a financial perspective it would make the most sense to "drive it into the sunset", as someone above put it. But at the same time, I have gotten good use from it. I haven't had any major repairs - a few minor things along the way.

My wife has been driving a Volvo C70 (retractable hardtop vert) as her daily driver, but wants to get something that has a usable back seat and four doors, as well as a fair amount of cargo space. So the plan is for the new vehicle to become hers, and for me to take over the Volvo.

Generally speaking, I am viewing three-row vehicles as being bigger than needed. So I haven't been really considering the new Ascent, nor other vehicles like Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot. I suppose that if the mpg is almost the same, this may be a bit illogical, but there are other advantages to being a bit smaller/nimbler.

I thought that the 2019 Outback was going to be basically unchanged, and that the 3.6R engine was still going to be offered (albeit with the CVT, as has been the case for a while). I suppose that the two biggest negatives for getting another OB (for me, anyway), are knowing that it will have a significant re-do for the 2020 model year. And I do view the CVT as a bit of a negative, versus other brands' automatics with anywhere from 6 to 10 speeds.

I know what people say about longer-term Audi reliability and costs to repair, but they sure look nice! That said, reviews I've seen of the new RDX say that it handles better than the Audi, in part due to its 4-choice dynamic handling control (Snow, Comfort, Sport, and Sport+). RDX reviews have mentioned a bit of turbo-lag, and also that the brakes work well enough, but have a bit of a spongy feel. But other than that, reviewers have really liked it.

The lack of a hybrid version for the Outback is not really a big deal to me - if it was, I'd be leaning to the 2.5, rather than the 3.6R... That said, with some of the other brands, I'd seriously consider their hybrid offering. There is also a new RAV4 coming out, but apparently the 2019 RAV4 won't really be available until very late in the 2018 calendar year. They say, "winter of 2018".....

In the end, a lot will depend on my wife's view, once she has seen, sat in, and driven some of the choices. She'll have a short list, I'll have a short list, and then we'll pick. (She has already said that another OB will likely be on her short list, as well.)

Another considertions for me will be convenience of service. Maybe the biggest annoyance to me of owning our Volvo has been that the local Volvo dealer doesn't have Saturday service. So even routine service/maintenance is more inconvenient, versus just making a Saturday morning appt.... (And, as seems to be the case with most Euro brands, everything costs somewhat more than for Japanese and American brands.)

I will also say that brands and models that are assembled in the US are a "plus" for me. Not a major factor, but a plus. US assembly is the case for the Outback, for most Hondas (and also the RDX, I believe) - I'm not sure (yet) about other brands.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
900 Posts
My experience here in North Carolina was that women tended to gravitate to the Lexus RX series - until Lexus attempted to convince more men to purchase them by changing to that butt-ugly hideous cow-catcher front grill a few model years back. Nowadays, I do not see nearly as many of them on the road whereas before the grill re-design disaster, every other woman driver around here was rolling around in an RX....

And yes, my wife had two of them: a 2000 RX300 AWD which required lots of warranty work including a new transmission, and a 2004 RX330 AWD which was a much better vehicle that was relatively problem-free until we sold it in July 2012 at about 130,000 miles....

Reactions: budha

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 R Touring
143 Posts
I would also add - stay away from the Volvo. I've had two new Volvo's in the past 15 years - and they have had very expensive repairs.

I like my 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R - this might be the last year to get a car with a 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
What do you need? One thing about Subaru I have zero issues leaving it parked at trail heads and such. A perceived wealthy persons premium brand just seems to attract too much negative attention. I have a Mercedes fun car I avoid driving it anywhere where money is hard to come by and we go to some remote places that clearly missed the last 40yrs in stock market gains.

Last week I left the subaru on a sand bar near a 1980’s toyota and a few other locals cars held together by bailing wire while we paddled the river. Even an Acura would seem out of place in that situation

·
Registered
215 Posts
What do you need? One thing about Subaru I have zero issues leaving it parked at trail heads and such. A perceived wealthy persons premium brand just seems to attract too much negative attention. I have a Mercedes fun car I avoid driving it anywhere where money is hard to come by and we go to some remote places that clearly missed the last 40yrs in stock market gains.

Last week I left the subaru on a sand bar near a 1980’s toyota and a few other locals cars held together by bailing wire while we paddled the river. Even an Acura would seem out of place in that situation
I no longer drive a Benz because of the negative nonsense I had to deal with for the past say 7 -10 years. I've driven a few models in the past 37 years but it's gone beyond reason now.
Got tied of being cut off and treated like I had wronged someone. Now when I go to change lanes people don't spead up, they let me in.
Shame because I loved driving them but the d-bag punk asss kids in their parents expensive vehicles think it's all a competition. Sad they learn it from their miserable idiot parents that live like it's a competition.
Toronto used to be OK to drive in a round but now far too many stupid people that judge rather than let it be. It's all F-you driving so flying under the radar of unprovoked attacks is worth it.
End of rant
Love my OB.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I no longer drive a Benz because of the negative nonsense I had to deal with for the past say 7 -10 years. I've driven a few models in the past 37 years but it's gone beyond reason now.
Got tied of being cut off and treated like I had wronged someone. Now when I go to change lanes people don't spead up, they let me in.
Shame because I loved driving them but the d-bag punk asss kids in their parents expensive vehicles think it's all a competition. Sad they learn it from their miserable idiot parents that live like it's a competition.
Toronto used to be OK to drive in a round but now far too many stupid people that judge rather than let it be. It's all F-you driving so flying under the radar of unprovoked attacks is worth it.
End of rant
Love my OB.
The 05 SLK in our immediate area is sorta a econo box on Friday nights next to the Lamborginis and other super cars. I just avoid the umm outer reaches unless I know I have secure parking at the other end. Never had any one screw with me on the road but I tend to be long gone before anyone in average cars have time to think it over lol. Hard to drive that car under 80.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The 05 SLK in our immediate area is sorta a econo box on Friday nights next to the Lamborginis and other super cars. I just avoid the umm outer reaches unless I know I have secure parking at the other end. Never had any one screw with me on the road but I tend to be long gone before anyone in average cars have time to think it over lol. Hard to drive that car under 80.
Great Roadster the 05 SLK

I guess I was spoiled back in the day. I would get up early and take drives on roads with few if any people at speeds reasonable enough unless no homes were on that stretch. I used Toronto as a reference but I've been living north of the city for a majority of my years behind the wheel. Now there are cops and people everywhere.
Things change I get that but when I was a young, man I drove with respect and when a car behind me wanted to go faster I would move out of the way. Still do. Simple. People just don't do that enough.

As a "true" driver (how subjective), I drive with purpose not purposely drive people crazy.

What I call "race horse syndrome" kills me. It's when you go to pass a slow poke then all of the sudden it's a race. Now when I pass hardly any race horse drivers.
With the Benz it happened with many a tweaked Japanese rocket as wel as BMW, Audi and mostly Benz drives.

I'm glad the OB doesn't provoke stupidity. It's made me a kinder person and I only rage I experience is, when listening to Rage Against The Machine. "F-u I won't do what you tell me "

I should say it wasn't all bad
I drove an 1989 300ce from Toronto as far as northern Cali and Florida a few times and no one once gave me grief. Weird but I looked like a business man when I got to Banff and by the time I left for Cali I was full grunge by the early 90's. That threw off a lot of people for many years.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,647 Posts
...crosstrek...put it on your list...yes it’s smalller than the OB but it is a great car...we love ours.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would also add - stay away from the Volvo. I've had two new Volvo's in the past 15 years - and they have had very expensive repairs.

I like my 2018 Outback Touring 3.6R - this might be the last year to get a car with a 6 cylinder.
The woman we talked to at our local Subaru dealer said that the 2019 Outback would drop the 3.6, and replace it with a 2.0 turbo, presumably the one from the Forester. But the Subaru web site shows the 2019 Outback still offering the 3.6R. I should probably trust the web site more than the person. She was maybe thinking about 2020 already? That said, I think I'd be OK with either engine. Most of the other cars I'm considering also use 2.0 turbos.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT (Alloy Wheel Package)
44 Posts
If you buy anything with a turbo, make sure of two things:
1: Make sure the turbo is "water cooled."
2: Make sure you get an "extended warranty."

The turbo's I have had seized up at 50,000 to 60,000 miles (just out of warranty), but they were air and oil cooled.
Most non-water cooled turbo's run off the exhaust manifold, which has "extremely" hot air. That extremely hot air has a tendency to carbonize the oil in the turbo's tiny oil passages that feed the turbine bearing, and then the bearing seize up.
The dealers usually never fixed the seized turbo, they replace them with a new one (very expensive, many thousands).
So if you buy anything with a turbo, seriously consider 1 & 2 above.
Myself, I will no longer ever consider a turbo anything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts