Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Crystal White Pearl Outback 2.5I Limited, black leather interior. Beautiful. With eyesight and all the goodies. Factory hitch. My second OB.
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with experience in running a 12 volt fused line directly from the battery into and through the fire wall? I never have had a problem with my prior cars, suv's but this 1011 Outback has about the tightest fire wall I have ever seem. All suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
2013 Outback limited 2.5i
10 Posts
Anyone with experience in running a 12 volt fused line directly from the battery into and through the fire wall? I never have had a problem with my prior cars, suv's but this 1011 Outback has about the tightest fire wall I have ever seem. All suggestions are welcome.
I have on order a 2013 coming in about 2 weeks and will have to run one for a 2 meter/440 ham radio rig. If you are still having an issue at that time, we'll work on it together.

I have thin fiberglass rods that I bought at Harbor Freight just for this purpose (Cen-Tech #65326). I was able to run a wire for a friend of mine in his Mercedes when everyone else gave up.

Keep me up to date if you find an easy way.

Al WI3Z

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I wasn't the person who discovered this, but I do have pictures from my subwoofer installation that show the grommet next to the brake master cylinder. The grommet is an oval and maybe 1.5" x 2.5". Just pull it out and drill whatever size hole you want in it. When you pop it back in it will give you a tight opening for your cable with a clear shot to the cabin of the vehicle.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...9-under-seat-subwoofer-installed-2012-ob.html

It's marked by the red arrow on the left.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
What size wire and how much current do you expect to pull? If it's a small amount with a small wire then you might find an empty tap in the OEM fuse block under the dash.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
511 Posts
I used the method in Post #3 to get the power needed for a brake controller. The grommet is large enough to pass several large gauge wires.

You can also use one of these For Sale Pico 0956pt Mini Fused Circuit 16 Awg 10a | Facebook If you only need low amperage. I used one for my transmission temperature gauge to tap into a headlight circuit to dim the display when the headlights were on. I got mine from Amazon but they are also available at many auto supply houses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts