Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Earlier this year, I almost ordered an outback. But I didn't, I ordered a wrangler. Th Wrangler has been in my driveway for 5 weeks, and in the dealer service department for 2 weeks.

Trying to get out of the jeep, and into a third subaru (2nd outback). Used prices should net a profit... So I'm OK with washing my hands of it.

Ordering a car through jeep is easy. 6% under dealer invoice (mine was approx 11% under msrp). However, to do this you have to stack a few incentives.. Charities, financing hoops, etc.

This would be my first ordered subaru. Dealers are all telling me to pay MSRP or eat ****.

Are any dealers offering below msrp on sold orders? Im located in SC but willing to travel within reason. Any cheat codes to get greater discounts? I've done some searching, but it seems like subaru isn't really playing with prices.

Hopefully I've been mistaken!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Outback Premium 2021 Outback Premium and 2021 Impreza -2019 Volkswagen GLI 35th
155 Posts
If you are willing to drive to NY, I would contact Van Bortel Subaru in Rochester- they are great to work with and very fair.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Premium 2021 Outback Premium and 2021 Impreza -2019 Volkswagen GLI 35th
155 Posts
When I ordered my Subaru from Van Bortel and it is about 90 minutes away from my house so I have other choices, they went below sticker with no extra work involved. The dealers near my house would not move from sticker at all

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have heard of litterally zero people anywhere getting bellow VIP. What sucks is that it also got slightly worse earlier this year. It used to be dealer invoice minus 2%. Now it is just straight invoice. Still will probably take around 3K off a high trim Outback.

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 2022 BWA
1,524 Posts
My car was ordered at employee pricing offered by a dealer who is a vendor member. You can check if their post is still up in the vendor forum.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Legacy Sport
90 Posts
It's very difficult to get MSRP on any brand right now, let alone anything below it. Subaru in general has been fair in my opinion by sticking to MSRP pricing, and I have always thought their MSRP was a fair value proposition even when lower prices could be had. As others have said, getting VIP pricing will be the best you can do right now. You can also call Subaru and ask if they can extend a loyalty coupon to you for having owned others in the past. These seem to be $500 typically and can be combined with VIP at most dealers as the coupon specifically states it can be combined with any other offers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My son just picked up a CX-50 and three Mazda dealers wanted way over sticker but he found one dealer that went 500.00 below sticker so he took it. He said the lot was very empty at all of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys! The wrangler is gone and I made a very nice profit off it.

Called a few dealers around me and asked about the aspca pricing. I'm not sure anyone is going to play ball with me on it unfortunately. Need the car pretty soon too but I'll probably be picking something up off the lot in the next 2-3 weeks if I can find something 🤦

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,908 Posts
I hit the web portals of all the southern New England dealerships within 2 hours of me asking for internet sales. Nobody was doing VIP. They’re only getting half their usual inventory. They’re selling pretty much every Outback before it gets to the port. If you don’t want to pay MSRP, there are plenty of other people who will before it rolls off the car carrier. They’re trying to run a business selling half as many cars as they usually sell. Their overhead is mostly fixed. If they don’t make a reasonable gross profit margin on cars, the business loses money. Crosstreks we’re the only 2022 that had anything close to normal production volume. Outbacks and Foresters were in really short supply.

·
Registered
2022 OB Tour 2.5 "OB3",Green, 20 mm RSB, Vred HighTrac tires, (3rd OB). City car is Kia Niro PHEV
679 Posts
VIP is the way to go. No-haggle invoice price. Call around to see who will honor it.
I found two Seattle dealers within 40 miles of Seattle to approve VIP at 2% below invoice last Oct. Not sure if they would still do that or not

·
Registered
Current: 2021 Outback Onyx XT, 2013 Forester XT, 1990 VW Vanagon Camper. . Former: 2004 Forester XT
112 Posts
Really glad I got mine when I did. I got a '21 Onyx in Nov of '20 for about $3500 below invoice without too much struggle. And 0% financing, which doesn't exist anymore. Just recently saw an article about how newer used cars are still in such high demand. So I did a little research, looks like I could sell my '21 with about 20K miles for $3-4K more than I paid for it a year and a half ago, which is kind of mind-boggling. But then I would need to replace it, so did a little searching around SoCal inventory. One dealer had something close to mine (except for almost $800 in stupid options that would be literally worthless to me), so just out of curiosity I requested their "special" internet price. They wanted about $2K over MSRP. So thanks, but no, I'll be sticking with my "old" '21.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update for those who took the time to help me out (these past weeks have been very difficult dealing with the broken 22 wrangler, this weekend especially. I really appreciate the help!)

Secured a white 2023 onyx 2.5 with just all weather floor mats as added option!

This was a dealer ordered car already in line for production. Due for September delivery, this was my dealers first round of 23s.

Dealer accepted ASPCA discount with 0 hassle. Great price for a car with such great equipment for sure.

This is Subaru #3 for me, happy to be back! The wrangler canceled 6 camping trips this year. The outback will be here in time for us to hit the mountains this fall. Can't wait! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts