Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I'm new in this forum I'm willing to buy a new or used Subaru Outback 2015-2018 Series. Depending od the feedback I can get from this forum.

I've have heard of gasket issues on the cylinders heads and oil consumption on models from previous years.

I was wondering if Subaru could solve such issues in the models starting 2015.

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Thank you:smile2:

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
717 Posts
Maurice_1971,

Since 1997 I've owned 4 subie OBW's, one of each new generation, and have loved each "new to me" one of them, as they all were better than the one before. In all of those years I've had only two minor warranty issues, two wheel bearing replacements, some light bulb, tire, brake and wiper blade replacements, some dirty window switches that required cleaning, regular maintenance, and that is it.

The years you're looking at have left any head gasket issues behind (early to mid 2000's had the issue). As for the oil consumption problem, that has come to the front in the last 3 years or so, as Subaru, like many other manufacturers, have lightened/shortened their pistons, cutting back on the number of piston rings, in order to squeeze out more mileage.

On this forum and the USMB forum (Ultimate Subaru Message Board) we have seen SOME members reporting on the oil consumption issue, but not many. It appears to be that some engines develop the problem, but not all. Its reported that Subaru has been very proactive in addressing it, and has replaced engines for owners who have been in the warranty period and have documented the issue with their dealership. This may have you leaning toward a newer subie rather than say a 2015.

That said, I'm in the market for trading my 2012 OBW LTD on a used 2016 or 2017 with low miles, in the very near future. I'm not concerned about the issue at all.

To address this issue better than I can, I suggest you view this YouTube video from an Australian auto journalist who doesn't pull any punches. He intelligently tackles the issue:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohh thank you for the extensive response and for sharing your experience with Subaru. The video is awesome, the guy is clever explaining the engine issues. You owning several cars of this brand is the kind of feedback I was aiming for.

I'm quite keen on, as you do, getting a 2016 with low mileage as well, and save money for winter tires and rims.

I owned a Legacy 1993 front wheel drive and I was very pleased how comfortable and reliable it was. The only major repair was both homokinetic joints @ around 150.000 kms. I look forward to driving a Subaru again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts