Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 OBXT 5spd MT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are toast so it's time to get new tires. While I'm at it I am going to get some new black or gunmetal rims for the car too. Originally I was just going to stick with stock size rims (17x7 or 17x7.5?) and tires (225/55/17) but then during my research on the board here I came across plenty of guys who were running 17x8 rims and one or two who have 245/50/17 tires on them so figured I'd go that route too. Before pulling the trigger though, I was hoping to get a few more data points than the one or two I found here that there shouldn't be any rubbing issues with the wider tires? It's only 0.8", but one never knows.

Anyone else besides FastSly running 245 tires with no issues?

·
Registered
2007 OBXT 5spd MT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right, well in absence of any responses, I did what I should have done in the first place, which is stick my fingers in behind the wheels to feel how much room there is between the tires and springs :rolleyes:. Turns out I can barely get my index finger past the 2nd knuckle between the tire and plastic liner piece that sits between the tire and spring in the rear, so that tells me I *might* be able to get away with upsizing to 235/50 or 235/55 but a 245/50 would definitely be pushing it. Guess I'll just play it safe (and cheap) and stick with stock 225/55/17.

·
Registered
2006 OBW 5MT 2.5i, Satin White Pearl
71 Posts
You might be able to accomodate that by bumping out the offset a little to a +35ish type wheel.

I'm with you, though my 225s are still good, next set I want is a 245/50.

·
Registered
'06 LOB, '03 Taco, '97 MX-5
782 Posts
235/55/17 GY Triple treads on stock rims. About a cm clearance on the outer edge to front of the fender liner at full lock.
No detectable rubbing.

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
343 Posts
If you drive in wet snow you will find the wheel wells get jammed up with slush. I carry a sawed off broom stick just to poke the slush accumulations out every so often so it doesn't hamper the steering and control. I have actually had to stop every so often in the Mts to perform this act. Going to oversized wheels and tires will only increase the opportunity for this issue if you drive in much snow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts