Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
00 Outback wagon 03 VDC wagon 18 Touring 3.6 white
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not driven enough miles to know and maybe this does not even apply to eyesight. A friend driving her new Honda on the freeway had a car cut in front of her so close that her car applied the brakes so heavily that the car behind her rear ended her. She thinks she could have swerved and avoided the car. Anyone here had a similar experience in their Subaru?

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
366 Posts
I have not driven enough miles to know and maybe this does not even apply to eyesight. A friend driving her new Honda on the freeway had a car cut in front of her so close that her car applied the brakes so heavily that the car behind her rear ended her. She thinks she could have swerved and avoided the car. Anyone here had a similar experience in their Subaru?
From my experience on a 2015 w/ eyesight, is that it will not preemptively slow down if it sees a car coming into your lane, regardless if the other car is using their signal.
Once that car is in your lane (such as when in traffic, or if you get cut off) the car will slam on the brakes to try and keep the distance set by the drive (you).
Its very frustrating, as the set distance that I like is also what other drivers like to use to cut me off as it's just enough room to squeeze in, but not enough to where I can safely and slowly coast or brake.

However, if it caused the driver BEHIND you to hit you, then it is 100% their fault for 'following to closely' or what we call "tailgating".
YMMV

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,024 Posts
I'e been cut off in heavy interstate traffic, and this is what EyeSight did.
It first alerts there's an obstruction with an alarm and a red flashing icon in the small center screen. As long as I react by slowing down, or changing lanes, nothing more happens.
But, if the system detects I'm not reacting quickly enough, it kicks in, and applies the brakes, to save the car.
Maybe the Honda uses radar, and it doesn't react the same way. But that's the reason I love EyeSight, because it sees what's going on, and computes what needs to happen. Radar is blind, and is reacting to nothing more than a signal. While there are positives to both, there are also negatives as well.
The big drawback to EyeSight is, weather and strong direct sunlight. Radar senses no mater what, but, it also has more potential of a false positive, because of interference.

The bottom line? The person that rear ended her is at fault, for not maintaining control of their vehicle. That's why following too close is so dangerous.

Reactions: jwrezz

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,140 Posts
I was just in an accident last week and felt I could have swerved to avoid it in time but didn't. The whole thing was caught on video and when I saw it I knew there was no way! I think our perceptions in the moment are distorted.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
I was just in an accident last week and felt I could have swerved to avoid it in time but didn't. The whole thing was caught on video and when I saw it I knew there was no way! I think our perceptions in the moment are distorted.
and its funny how the cops ask you for legally binding statements right after a accident when you were the one in the accident.

is the original 1997 invisible jet still with us?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts