Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a stock '05 OBXT, and I'm afraid to take it off-road. I have had it for a year now, and besides the occasional graded dirt road it has only been off pavement once and it got stuck. In the middle of my friend's lawn.

I was just driving around his house to get the car out of the way for a delivery truck and I encountered a mud-hole 2" deep and got stuck in it. I didn't stop or anything, I'm not new to things like snow driving, but I hear all the time about how these cars are so great off-road and I still get teased about getting stuck in the grass.

I tend to just blame the tires, since they all seemed to just be spinning. They are the stock Goodyear Eagle GTs or whatever.

So basically I guess I'm looking for suggestions, stories, videos, or whatever about stock outbacks NOT getting stuck on relatively flat, lawn-covered back yards. And diagnosis as to whether my adventure was my tires, driving style (there wasn't much of that, I didn't think there was any chance of getting stuck until more throttle stopped meaning more forward and by then it was too late), or some other problem with my car.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
Performance tires will be junk offroad. If you want to take your OB off road, you'll need something not pavement performance oriented.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Some the slickest stuff you could find is lawn with mud or deep lawn with leaking sewer pipes caused by cars being driven over them. Tires and the CRAP you drove through being your issue.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Tires. I have some great summer performance tires on my XT. They are quiet and sticky and fun on the highway but in mud & snow they are completely useless. Also, once you high-center any car, no tire will help.

I hang dedicated snow tires for the winter season.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have dedicated snow tires for winter, and when these tires wear out I will get something a little more capable. I have a miata for handling, I don't need performance tires on my station wagon.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I run an AT tire that does great on the highway and in the slickest of situations. Haven't been stuck yet and nice and smooth and quiet for the 70 miles a day I commute.

You say you have an OBXT? Was traction control and all that still engaged? I keep reading how those systems on the 3rd and 4th gens do more harm than good in a slippery situation such as that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run an AT tire that does great on the highway and in the slickest of situations. Haven't been stuck yet and nice and smooth and quiet for the 70 miles a day I commute.

You say you have an OBXT? Was traction control and all that still engaged? I keep reading how those systems on the 3rd and 4th gens do more harm than good in a slippery situation such as that.
I don't have traction control of any of that. I've got ABS, but it's got a 5-speed so no electronic diffs or VDC or whatever came with other models.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, no. The car is fine. I only autocrossed half of an event and I was nice to it, and powersliding in the snow should hardly break anything. The autocross was also after this event.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Tires are probably it. Even many all-seasons can be absolutely terrible when they hit a little bit of mud. I know mine are (partially because they're worn), so I'm replacing them with Geolandars as soon as I get the snows on.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
turning off the traction control makes a world of difference. i knew to turn it off when i went in a mud pit and i could spin and do donuts to my heart's delight. later in the afternoon i forgot to turn it off, it would let me do 1.5 donuts and then cut all power. not that im saying do donuts or go offroading all the time, but just that traction control is for the stupidest of stupid people.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Tires tires tires! Take a look at this Range Rover on a slick grassy lot, with road tires:

He never actually got stuck due to his TC, but he was definitely close to stuck.....

You need an aggressive tread and lots of wheel spin to keep the tread clear. Even the best mud tires will turn into slicks if you keep them moving slowly. So the traction control (if you have it) has to be OFF. I hate mud...... I won't go near it unless I am in a truck with proper tires, lockers and a winch.

Some kinds of mud, like a thin layer of greasy slop on top of hard pan, are practically undriveable. The best thing is to park the vehicle until the sun comes out and dries the surface.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
19 Posts
I tend to just blame the tires, since they all seemed to just be spinning. They are the stock Goodyear Eagle GTs or whatever.
Definitely the tires. I run plain Cooper Touring tires on my 06 Outback and I crossed a couple decent sized streams. Granted it was running water and no mud (a bunch of wet sand), but not something you run through everyday.

:29:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
k7elh
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing