Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2013 outback 2.5 prem
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our '13 outback for a week and today i noticed that the doors dont lock when placed into drive. Is this even an option for the outback? I checked the owners manual and could find an answer. Is it possible to unlock all four doors with the remote at once?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Unless something has changed for 2013 the answer is no and no. The latter has been complained about quite a bit. :mad:Sorry.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
Hehe, weird Subaru crap. Try locking your door with remote/alarm...and then open the door with your key...the alarm goes off!!! WTF?! NEVER had a car do this with OEM alarm. Where did Subaru get the alarm system?? From the local Bob's Alarm and Furniture store?!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I admit, one of the few things I'm really missing in my switch to the OB last week is the speed-sensitive autolock of my Saturn - locked it up at 5mph, and unlocked it when you removed the ignition key. Not exactly a hardship to have to do it myself, but I'm not used to it and need to remind myself!

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
What if you were in an accident or passed out and someone had to get you out of your car with the doors locked?

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
Hehe, weird Subaru crap. Try locking your door with remote/alarm...and then open the door with your key...the alarm goes off!!! WTF?! NEVER had a car do this with OEM alarm. Where did Subaru get the alarm system?? From the local Bob's Alarm and Furniture store?!
My mom's 03 Sonata did this and it was very annoying. I'm remember if you turned the key in the keyhole 2 or 3 times then it would stop the alarm.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
What if you were in an accident or passed out and someone had to get you out of your car with the doors locked?
Here is what I do:
-In the event of a crash: Break window (a broken window is the least of the worries in a crash if the occupant is knocked out)
-In the event of a person passed out behind the wheel and they don't wake up no matter how much you pound on the door: Slim jim (the last person that was passed out and I couldn't get to wake up only took me 30 seconds to slim jim the door to unlock it)

Note: It is much safer to leave a crash victim in the car until the ambulance arrives with proper equipment. Despite what movies makes you think, cars won't explode, catch on fire, or mysteriously flip over after a crash. The need to immediately remove a crash victim due to fire probably only happens less then .01% of the time. I have seen vehicles go head-on with fully loaded semi-trucks at highway speeds with no fires.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
Note: It is much safer to leave a crash victim in the car until the ambulance arrives with proper equipment. Despite what movies makes you think, cars won't explode, catch on fire, or mysteriously flip over after a crash. The need to immediately remove a crash victim due to fire probably only happens less then .01% of the time. I have seen vehicles go head-on with fully loaded semi-trucks at highway speeds with no fires.
This, this, this.

If they are unconscious, about the only reasonable thing you can do is call for paramedics immediately. Since you don't know what injuries they've sustained, you might make any injury worse by attempting to move them. Even if you want to check vitals, you need to be careful how you do it. Checking the carotid is not always a great idea when there is a possible neck injury, for example.

Now, if they were not breathing, well, that's another story, and one I don't actually know the answer to.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
This, this, this.

If they are unconscious, about the only reasonable thing you can do is call for paramedics immediately. Since you don't know what injuries they've sustained, you might make any injury worse by attempting to move them. Even if you want to check vitals, you need to be careful how you do it. Checking the carotid is not always a great idea when there is a possible neck injury, for example.

Now, if they were not breathing, well, that's another story, and one I don't actually know the answer to.
In a pulseless/breathless scenario, you have to do what you have to do to get CPR started, even if you have to carefully remove the victim from the car. Without oxygen and a heartbeat, the victim is 100% sure to die. You had just better make sure they are truly pulseless/breathless before moving them.

Realistically, if a victim is pulseless/breathless due to trauma suffered in a car crash, your chances of saving them are one out of a million but you should still try. It could just be that the victim's airway was blocked and they went pulseless from a lack of oxygen. You have a better chance at a save if the victim is just breathless but still has a pulse. Chances are still low either way (in my experience at least).

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
Luckily, we could easily get to our victim who is in a Subaru Outback with non-automatically locking doors. Otherwise we would have to take our slim jim out of our wallet to open the door or take the brick out of our pocket to break a window.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I, for one, like that they don't lock. I have driven cars where they do and simply find it annoying. This has been argued back and forth on the forums here and it seems to be an even for/against. I just think Subaru doesn't see any value in adding the feature. I suppose I'm lucky to not have any fear of someone jumping in my car while driving. There are child safety locks for the rear doors. If your kid is young enough to try to open the door when they shouldn't, they shouldn't be in the front seat anyway.

To the question about unlocking all 4 doors, that is for safety reasons. If you are alone, someone can't jump in you car when you enter. Of course it seems anyone wanting auto locking doors would welcome this feature. I modded my '05 Impreza to unlock all 4 on one push and used the second push to activate a relay for the trunk. So it's possible but takes a couple hours of crawling under the dash and cutting and jumping a couple wires. Not worth it for the sole purpose of an all unlock feature.

As for the alarm, my '06 Hyundai works the same way. Lock with remote, unlock with key sounds alarm. I think it's to keep someone from stealing your valet key, or copying your key. Both stupid reasons, but it's the only thing I can think of. A feature I do not like nonetheless.

as far as helping someone in a crash, call me selfish, but if I come upon a car accident, I'm not touching anybody in it for fear of a lawsuit. I'm not a trained professional, and even if I had CPR training, I'm not putting myself out there. People will sue for any reason possible anymore. If I'm in the car trapped and need out, I don't want to try to break a car window out, I've hit them pretty hard and seen people try to break them (i.e. Bait Car). They don't seem to just bust right open.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Back on topic - a simple press of a button to lock the doors takes hardly any effort. Teaching old humans new tricks and behaviors can be like pulling teeth on a Rino. ;-)

There are lots of reasons for a car company not to do this most of which you never think of till you discover them. I actually HATE our VW auto lock mechanism IF I WANT THE FREAKING DOORS LOCKED I will lock them my self.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Auto door locking was a "feature" I truly hated in my previous Mercury Sable car. It wore out door locks or shortened their lifespan considerably, so I could not use the remote to lock / unlock the doors.
At the end of car's life only two out of five door locks were intermittently functional, the rest of them I had to use in an old fashioned "manual mode".
However, Subaru has another bogus feature - DRLs which is not legally required and insults my intelligence.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Auto door locking was a "feature" I truly hated in my previous Mercury Sable car. It wore out door locks or shortened their lifespan considerably, so I could not use the remote to lock / unlock the doors.
At the end of car's life only two out of five door locks were intermittently functional, the rest of them I had to use in an old fashioned "manual mode".
However, Subaru has another bogus feature - DRLs which is not legally required and insults my intelligence.
ACtually many states they are legally required now. And after riding a motorcycle for many years I think every vehicle should have lights on at all times!

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Intelligence, or lack of… with drivers who don’t turn on HLs during the day regardless of light/visibility conditions = DRL equipment. Besides, plenty cross the border to buy cars and dive back to Canada.

·
Banned
238 Posts
ACtually many states they are legally required now. And after riding a motorcycle for many years I think every vehicle should have lights on at all times!
Actually you're not correct on DRLs requiremet
Questions & Answers: Daytime Running Lights
"No U.S. state mandates DRLs, although some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather."
Which is a common sense and up to the discretion of a driver.
It is your choice what to drive or ride but you have no right to impose your thought and whims onto others. You are only responsible for your own decisions and actions not others'.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Limited -GONE!
73 Posts
.....I just think Subaru doesn't see any value in adding the feature. ....
I think less by intentional design, than Subaru just cheaping out and not wanting the spend the extra few dollars for the few lines of code required by the ECMs to do this. The sensors, solenoids, and ECM are already there.

These cars have very primitive software compared to most other makes. A 10 year old Chevy has more user configurable features.

.....as far as helping someone in a crash, call me selfish, but if I come upon a car accident, I'm not touching anybody in it for fear of a lawsuit. .....
Seriously ? "Good Samaritan laws" Look it up...

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
These cars have very primitive software compared to most other makes. A 10 year old Chevy has more user configurable features.

Does anyone really need to point out that GM was begging for money when Subaru was posting some of their largest profits EVER recorded?

More features does not always translate to better.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts