Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2002 Outback 2.5L w/121k miles. I want to rebuild the motor but need guidance on the process. If the crank journals are in good condition, can I just buy new main bearings that are stock size, or do I have to go to oversize? I assume the only way to know is to measure everything? Crank Journals, cylinder bores, etc... to know what size bearings, pistons and rings to get? Also, at this stage does it make sense to have the heads reworked also? Meaning valve guides and springs etc?? Or if the heads are in good condition can I just use them as is and get another 150k out of them? In general I want to know what size parts I need for the rebuild. Any guidance appreciated. Thanks!

Also, if there is a website or online info that describes how to know what parts to buy for a rebuild please point me that direction. Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,307 Posts
like only one or 2 people on this large board have EVER bothered to rebuild a 2002 EJ251/ EJ252 type engine.

they are laying all over the place in rust buckets or rear end wrecks waiting for you to rescue them from the scrapper.

I mean like $200 in a pick and pull, many with head gaskets already done (that you can look down and see the tabs sticking out, and /or the tabs sticking out from the intake gaskets done at the same time). maybe $500-700 for a paid yard or parts warehouse.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,696 Posts
if you want to, to have a project, that's fine but, not a lot of people split the cases on these motors if they are just repairing a car. They rebuild heads if needed, they buy shortblocks from CCR in Colorado or from Subaru. OR, they get low miles engines from wrecks or from Japan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts